What will I miss/gain by moving from iPhone to Samsung?

• This topic has 72 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by  Caher.
Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • What will I miss/gain by moving from iPhone to Samsung?
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Yep, my location is permanently shared with my wife and vice versa, Google maps feature. It also shows me her phone battery level so I know if she’s not answering her phone because it’s run out of battery, rather than she doesn’t want to talk to me 😉

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

So are people saying it’s build-up cack in the charging port that’s preventing the charger or headphone plugs being properly retained?

I’d assumed the socket on my Huawei had just got worn baggy through constant use. They didn’t say what they’d actually done to fix it.

My iPhone is in its third year…would the Apple store still want to fix it?

You don’t get if you don’t ask.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

So are people saying it’s build-up cack in the charging port that’s preventing the charger or headphone plugs being properly retained?

IME yes. if you look at the side of a lightning connector, it has an inset section on each side. if you look inside a lightning port it has two springs. its quite a positive engagement as opposed to a USB-C which seems to rely on an interference fit.

if the connector can’t go far enough in, it won’t engage properly and be retained. fluff gets compacted in there and builds up over time until you reach the point of hit and miss charging. if the springs have failed or jammed then you might get the same behaviour.

PS. i don’t care much for if the OP wants an iphone or an android phone. i don’t really get the tribal thing. I keep getting iphones because I don’t pay for them and change is hard…;-)

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

It could be. I think USB-C has a dimple in the middle and a little spring part in the plug – so there is a positive click when you push it in – but only if you push it far enough. With fluff in the back of the port, it stops the plug going in all the way, so the click doesn’t engage,and it just falls back out. On mine the action of plugging it in every day had compacted the pocked fluff to a hard layer of felt at the back of the port – in only about 6 months or so of use.

Premier Icon sc-xc
    Subscriber

I took it to the local phone guy this morning. Definitely not a build up of cack…it’s loose. ‘Baggy’ was the word he used…he says he sees it a lot.

He said he could change the port, I’m going to carry on looking at shiny phones though!

mudshark

I just switched from iOS to Android, very happy. Looked at the Samsungs but got a Nokia 9 as far better value and it’s Android One.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

I took it to the local phone guy this morning. Definitely not a build up of cack…it’s loose. ‘Baggy’ was the word he used…he says he sees it a lot.

of course he does. how much does he charge for ‘fixing it’ 😉

ps. i did a search for ‘loose’ lightning ports (and USB-C). almost every result points to cleaning out the connector port…

retro83

winston

Subscriber

Thats why you want the s10e version – it doesn’t have the stupid sensor in the display which is causing all the security problems.

Fix already issued some time back. I’m not convinced it ever was an issue except when using the cheapest shite screen protectors. I tested all the ones I had knocking about prior to the software update and none would reproduce the fault.

I own an S10 and TBH I would rather have an external sensor, but the in-display one works fine.

I still think the curved screen is a gimmick, however next to the S10e it feels a much more premium device.

Premier Icon Kuco
    Subscriber

I’ve just literally gone back to iphone from having a Samsung S9. I tried Android and for myself much prefer iOS. The Samsung phone itself was great but Andriod wasn’t for me.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Samsung does weird things – like it’s on silent, but still does a blinkypbipbip noise.
    Or it’s not on silent and doesn’t alert when I get a text – or show the text on the screen until I open it (yes, I’ve turned on notifications for messages). And it’s always got some useless bloody information on the screen before I unlock it.
    Then again, the iPhone did a lot more shitty things than that (like put **** unicorn emoji stickers on the keyboard without me asking and not letting me delete the stupid things! I’m 55!)

stevious

Thanks to this thread I was encouraged to clean the approx. 1kg of fluff from my lightning port and now have a phone that plugs in properly. Hooray!

OP – I’ve thought about this, and the main things I’d miss would be the integration with my laptop (I love typing text messages on an actual keyboard) and the ability to share media/apps with my wife.

That said, I’m sure when my phone does die I’ll think about android, as there have been some persuasive arguments on this thread.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

As others have alluded to, it’s just a different system that does broadly the same thing. The biggest issue you’ll face is familiarity, whether you “know” Apple or “know” Android, moving to a different platform will come with a learning curve. It’s not wholly different from moving from a Windows PC to a Mac or vice versa. That and you’ll lose any apps you’ve paid for on the other system, of course.

Purely personally, I’d avoid Samsung. I don’t really get the love for them, I’ve owned two now and they’ve both annoyed the piss out of me. Though my S5 has been worlds better since I binned off the stock ROM with all the Samsung shovelware shite and installed something that’s received an update in the last half-decade.

CraigW

OP – I’ve thought about this, and the main things I’d miss would be the integration with my laptop (I love typing text messages on an actual keyboard) and the ability to share media/apps with my wife.

The Android messages app now has a web interface, so you can type text messages on a proper keyboard. https://messages.google.com/web

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

I use both daily – my personal phone is iOS iPhone 7 and work phone is a Samsung cover 4, or something like that.

I find the Samsung unit clunky and the screen not as responsive to touch, especially with cold fingers when working outside, the different keyboard layout between the two is a little trying sometimes too.

Android doesn’t seem to do the double click for a full stop when typing, perhaps android users don’t use punctuation as much as iOS users?

Android is particularly shite with WiFi calling, it’ll drop out on every call unless I’m within a couple of metres and in sight of the main router, similarly it won’t let me have WiFi calling unless I’m in proximity to the router. It ignores the booster boxes completely. IME, iOS is way more stable and reliable in this regard.

I don’t want to **** about with my communication devices, I want/need them to work and again, IME, iOS winds me up far less than the android, which tends to be a daily occurrence.

Naturally, YMMV 😁

mattyfez

I went off Samsung after the s3.
    Mainly due to bloat.

Currently on an LG G6, can’t fault it.

stumpy01

slackalice

Android doesn’t seem to do the double click for a full stop when typing, perhaps android users don’t use punctuation as much as iOS users?

On my Lenovo, which I think runs the Google keyboard a double space at the end of the sentence adds the fullstop, the space after it and caps lock for the first letter of the next sentence. It just works…

All of that stuff about wi-fi calling dropping out sounds like a device issue, rather than an Android issue.

If the Samsung is the xcover4 (never heard of it until I googled cover4) it can be picked up for £170. It’s hardly surprising that it doesn’t stack up against an iPhone 7. Like comparing a Merc E-class to a Dacia Duster….

CountZero

Purely personally, I’d avoid Samsung. I don’t really get the love for them, I’ve owned two now and they’ve both annoyed the piss out of me.

We have Samsung phones and tablets at work, and the bloody things are always playing up! Part of it is because they’re all on different varieties of Android, and often upgrades pushed out by head office IT to fix problems will fix problems on some phones/tablets, but either break things on others, or introduce new ones, or else they just go wrong because they’re just rubbish devices.
    They have got some Huawei devices, which are apparently much more stable, and the bloke in charge of systems for all the sites is trying to get all the Samsung devices replaced by Huawei, but there’s a fair amount of inertia involved.
    We just want devices that communicate with the site Wi-fi consistently and send and retrieve data, and the Samsung crap we have just doesn’t do that.
    FWIW, my iP11 Pro Max is just bloody amazing, the Face ID is incredibly fast and accurate, the cameras are superb, and battery life is the best I’ve ever had from a smartphone, two to three days from a charge, and I haven’t changed the way I use my phone. In the past, using satnav, even with a cable plugged in*, the draw on the battery would kill the phone after an hour or so; I had to drive to Bristol today, and I had TomTom running, just in case of traffic issues, for an hour each way, plus I’ve been using it for reading during my breaks, and the battery is at 68%.
    *The problem is most car USB and 12v adaptors only give 5w max, some less than that, a smartphone using satnav needs at least double that.

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

@stumpy01 – I reckon you’ve covered it with comparability of the two devices, the work phone is just not a nice thing to use, unfortunately it’s been my first taste of android for about 6/7 years and it’s left a bad taste… as it were 😉

My previously issued work phone had a windows os and that was truly shocking, so small mercies 😁

I’m not saying that iOS is perfect for me either but at least there’s a choice!

_tom_

I was forced to go the other way (Moto G5S to my wife’s old iPhone SE) after dropping my Android in the toilet and I can’t wait til I can afford a new Android phone again. I mostly hate how Apple forces you to do things in their crappy way rather than how you want. No expandable media with a simple SD card slot. Lack of a file browser etc. Feels like a fisher price phone. Non existent battery life. Terrible keyboard. It’s just a bit shit.

stevextc

You don’t get if you don’t ask.

In my personal experience Apple will let you make an appointment, send you away for a couple of hours then put the phone back together (assumiung they even opened it) and say they can’t/won’t repair it but would you like to buy a new model upgraded whilst you are here.

Took mine to a local repairer and got the battery swapped for £25? last year… and big positive it has headphone jacks…

Reason not to change is 90%+ of messages are iMessage.

If only there were some sort of way to send messages between any operating platform…

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I can’t wait til I can afford a new Android phone again.

You can get waterproof ones now – it’s amazing how much peace of mind this gets you!

You can get waterproof ones now – it’s amazing how much peace of mind this gets you!

I’ve had waterproof android phones for a few years now. Agreed on the peace of mind, though! Just sling it in a jersey pocket on the bike.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The problem is most car USB and 12v adaptors only give 5w max

Most cheapo ones from garages etc, but it’s really easy to find a cheap one that produces much more. We’ve got one that delivers 28W from a single port, loads on Amazon for a fiver.

We just want devices that communicate with the site Wi-fi consistently and send and retrieve data, and the Samsung crap we have just doesn’t do that.

It’s possible there’s something up with your site because two Samsungs I’ve had have never had an issue with wifi anywhere – home, office, public – nor the previous few Motorolas.

I went off Samsung after the s3.
    Mainly due to bloat.

Samsung realised this was crap and since then they’ve reduced bloat a lot.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

My word, changing from iphone to Samsung is a damn nightmare.

But! The battery life on the Samsung! It’s been on for days now and is still on 67% ! The iphone would’ve been charged 15 times in the same period 🙂

Premier Icon wors
    Subscriber

I don’t get all the Apple ” it forces you to do things” argument. I have never once done anything on my phone and I thought, I want to do this another way.

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

I have just gone the other way from Nokia 8 (which runs bog standard Android with no bloat) to iPhone 8 Plus.

They both do the same things, but in slightly different ways.  Honestly either is fine.  The lack of headphone jack is moderately annoying but plenty of phones with android don’t have a headphone jack these days.

I found the iPhone annoying as f*** for about 2 weeks until i had reprogrammed my thumbs and brain. Now it’s absolutely fine.

My wife and kids are all on apple devices of various ages and the ability to use iMessage, location sharing etc seemlessly is quite handy.

I have a iPhone SE as a work phone so I broadly knew what i was getting into. (I was forced to swap my dumb phone for it as an old Nokia that lasts a week on one charge isn’t suitable for someone in my band apparently!  But the iPhone has a off switch too so take that corporate overlords!)

Hob Nob

I’ve just literally gone back to iphone from having a Samsung S9. I tried Android and for myself much prefer iOS. The Samsung phone itself was great but Andriod wasn’t for me.

Same, we got given S8’s for work, I had a slightly beaten up 6s at the point so the S8 felt decent. It’s the first Samsung I had that didn’t feel like a cheap plastic toy.

I decided to get an S9 as my own phone. It was ok, but as a long term iOS user, it took a while to get used to where everything was and how it worked. Some good things, some bad. Camera was decent improvement though.

Then we got issued new iPhone 11s and i just find the iOS system so much more intuitive to use, probably from 10 or so years of using it.

Sold the S9 and now have my own 11 as well as a work one. Much prefer it to be fair. Yes it might be locked down more and I can’t mess around with it all, but it’s a phone. I send messages, make calls, take photos and scroll through social media on it. I don’t need to get into the operating system to fanny around and change things, I have zero interest in that.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

My word, changing from iphone to Samsung is a damn nightmare.

When I said that, I wasn’t so much talking about the usability, more just getting the right apps loaded, contacts switched etc. But, man, the battery life! 😆

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I don’t get all the Apple ” it forces you to do things” argument. I have never once done anything on my phone and I thought, I want to do this another way.

Then you’re their target audience. And I don’t mean that negatively.

Eg, when presented with a choice of three different keyboards, some people will go “oh cool, I get to play with all three and see which I like best” and some will say “three keyboards, that’s ridiculous, just give me one which works.”

Apple’s ‘walled garden’ approach to absolutely everything is either its biggest strength or its biggest weakness depending on your mindset.

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

Just had the port replaced on an iphone by the cheapy phone shop in town for £30, done in an hour. If it’s properly broken then this may be worth a try.

It was the same as you describe, had to ‘hold’ the charger at an angle.

mildbore

Just don’t break the screen on a Samsung. Replacements are ridiculously expensive

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

Favourite tablet: iPad
    Phone: Android.
    Have thought about getting an Apple watch 5 which means getting an iPhone. But I think I’ll Hangfire and see what Google do with Fitbit.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.