• This topic has 72 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • What will I miss/gain by moving from iPhone to Samsung?
  • sc-xc

I’ve been with Apple ever since the 3GS, so many years understanding how iPhones work. I don’t like the shared headphone/charger port – mine is now so loose after repeated use that I can’t get the phone to charge without holding the **** wire.

I could really do with the option to have 2 sims in one phone, so was looking at the S10.

Is it as good as it felt in the shop? Is there anything that will frustrate me? The last Android we had in the house was a bargain basement phone…the s10 feels really slick…is it?

Thanks for any pointers

jam-bo

Clear the pocket fluff out of the lightning port. 2 minutes with a paper clip will save you a fortune…

chakaping
    Free Member

don’t like the shared headphone/charger port – mine is now so loose after repeated use that I can’t get the phone to charge without holding the **** wire.

Huawei just fixed my Mate 10 Pro under warranty for this, worth a try if under 2yrs old (or over).

Can’t comment on the S10 but my Huawei is very good, so the Samsung must be amazing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sc-xc

I did that Jam Bo…(several times). Also put tape in the hole to make it smaller…and followed the instructions of the videos on the first 3 or 4 pages of google that deal with this issue.

The fact is, that charging daily, and using wired headphones throughout the day has shagged it.

I have lost my love for Apple….

winston
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour and move to android.

Pros:  Cheaper,  mass storage ability,APK files, no longer have everything ringing on everything when one i device gets a message, sd cards, headphone jack, more control on how your display looks, dual sim, better battery life, more apps, better quality of life, more sex, better PB’s on zwift etc etc

Cons: …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………erm………………………………………………………………….well……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………aneeeyway…….

But get the S10e. Better fingerprint sensor, cheaper and no stupid curved screen

sc-xc

Thanks…

But ‘more sex’ suggests I get any! 😂

DezB
    Free Member

All I’d miss is the ability to iMessage and share Apple stuff with the only 2 people I really message – best mate and girlfriend. I’ve got a Samsung here (S7 I think) which I’m tempted to switch to as my iphone screen has gone very weird (texting is almost impossible) but cos they’re on iPhones, I can’t bring myself to make the change. Silly really!

zippykona

Was on holiday with 2 friends . The moon on the sea was fantastic . The galaxy S10 took an amazing picture, my friend with the latest iPhone could barely capture anything.

I’d buy the galaxy purely for that …..but everytime I log onto my bank it has a security warning for s10s

winston
    Free Member

Thats why you want the s10e version – it doesn’t have the stupid sensor in the display which is causing all the security problems.

DezB
    Free Member

Just swtiched the S7 on – the screen looks nicer than my iPhone 6s and man, it’s so much nicer to type on!

bedmaker

I’m a week or so into ownership of a Oneplus 7t Pro. IT’s fantastic.
    I really missed my Oneplus 3t after moving to Google Pixel 3 a while back. I decided to get back into the Oneplus phone and it makes the Pixel feel pretty low rent tbh.
    It’s superfast, great battery, 90hz display is well nice.

Out of interest, I looked at the price for an Iphone 11 with 256gb storage, same as my OP.
    £1300!! I knew they were pricy, but didn’t appreciate just how much. I haven’t bought anything Apple for a few years now.

So, in answer to the OP, you’ll gain around £600 by moving from Apple to Android with an equivalent top end phone.

sc-xc

Thanks all, the dual sim swings it…I’ll look at the s10e (it’s even cheaper)…

So long Apple!

CountZero

Was on holiday with 2 friends . The moon on the sea was fantastic . The galaxy S10 took an amazing picture, my friend with the latest iPhone could barely capture anything.

Which latest iPhone? Does it have Night Mode, and if so, was it switched on?
    I took this photo out in my garden last week, hoping I’d catch one of the hedgehogs which I could hear, but didn’t see one. It was taken at half-past midnight…

ratherbeintobago

Thanks all, the dual sim swings it

You know the iPhone 11 does dual sims?

sc-xc

You know the iPhone 11 does dual sims?

I didn’t, but it’s around a tenner more expensive per month, much less storage…and will still have the shared charge/earphone port.

zippykona

Count Z . Judging by your picture I’d say night mode was off. I shall mention it next time I seem them and we can have a rematch.

mikertroid
    Free Member

This:

Do yourself a favour and move to android.

Pros: Cheaper, mass storage ability,APK files, no longer have everything ringing on everything when one i device gets a message, sd cards, headphone jack, more control on how your display looks, dual sim, better battery life, more apps, better quality of life, more sex, better PB’s on zwift etc etc

Cons: …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………erm………………………………………………………………….well……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………aneeeyway…….

And you won’t miss iMessage. I don’t know any of my friends or colleagues that use it anymore. Whatsapp or Telegram are the defaults.

I went from an IPhone SE to a cheap Samsung A8 and it’s still a brilliant phone 2 years on. I don’t know what I’d replace it with, maybe a dual sim A90 or OnePlus 7t Pro. But it’s far from showing any aging.

johnnystorm

Dunno how you were planning to get the new phone but Samsung are doing some good trade in deals through their UK site.

Cougar

Sounds like what you need is a can of compressed air and some Bluetooth headphones.

sc-xc

^ tried the compressed air. I’ve tried everything but the port is shagged, if I hold the phone upright the cable just falls out!

CraigW
    Free Member

Get something with induction charging, to avoid future problems with dodgy charging ports.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have Samsung Note 9 (use dual sims now) that is about 11 months old which is brilliant, but I accidentally scratched the screen while putting in the pocket with keys … arrghhh … just a tiny deepish scratch at the corner but still … tried to polish it out but somehow managed to polish the surface protection whatever off.

I only have to charge it once a day if I watch youtbue otherwise on standby I think I can manage two days without charge.

Whatsapp is the norm for all my communication now …

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Samsung S7 here, had it for 4 years, I’ll keep it til it dies.

None of my iphones lasted past the contract, YMMV.

w00dster

I went the other way recently. All my family are on iPhones so I did the same.
    I had the Samsung S8 Edge, only rubbish aspect was the screen edge, It’s active while you’re holding it.
    As a fairly dumb user, it didn’t make much difference. Cameras were pretty much the same, battery life about the same, price also very similar.
    I found Apple apps a bit more stable than Android, especially for offline use, Spotify would occasionally not work offline, games would crash, but not overly often or majorly problematic.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Life becomes much easier.

You know longer have to say things like, “Have you seen my iPhone?” and can just say, “Have you seen my phone?”

😃

mogrim

I went the other way for a couple of months this summer, before hurrying back to the world of Android. I found the whole iOS thing to be irritating – no major changes, just lots of minor differences that made the whole thing feel clunky. I suspect that if you’re a habitual iOS user you’d probably get the same feeling, just the other way round 🙂

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Take phone to Apple store.
    Ask “the charger port won’t hold the cable, can you help”
    Receive “yes sir, give me 5 mins I’ll get our techs to look at it”.
    5 mins later phone has been put under their microscope and fully cleaned out good as new.

That was my experience. No receipt needed.

Done.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I much prefer Apple’s stance on privacy, so I’m sticking with them for now. It may not matter very much to you though.

tenfoot

I went the other way, a couple of years ago.

I charge my iPhone 8 wirelessly which cuts down on the number of times I use the port. Still ok 2 years on.

If I’m out on a solo night ride I use the location sharing feature so that my wife can see where I am if I’m late back. That, and the fact that everyone else in my house has iPhones, will keep me coming back.

Kato

Been an iPhone user for years and got seduced by Android. Bought a Samsung S9+ and was massively underwhelmed especially with the camera. Screen was nice though. Gave it to the wife and went back to iPhone

I bank with Barclays and use Apple Pay a lot so I don’t carry a wallet at work. Barclays isn’t compatible with Android Pay and it really annoyed me

boombang
    Free Member

I still use a Samsung S6 for trainer calibration, a backup for running training software (TR and more recently Zwift), and for my son to use to look on Lego Life. Only reason I don’t still use it as my daily phone is the battery life runs down mighty quickly when the screen is on.

I replaced it with a Moto G6 which for the money is decent. It has always been buggy as hell though but for 1/5th the money you can sort of accept it. The camera isn’t anywhere near as good. No idea if more recent Motos are better in terms of bugs or camera.

The one thing I do not miss is the Samsung software – bloatware aplenty, updates come far later than cleaner Android setups, and some of the Moto features are very useful (attentive display, volume buttons to skip tracks) – all of these can be done through 3rd party apps but are rolled into one with bringing data risks.

Either way I can’t justify the current Samsung prices for a phone when the Moto does the job. That’s the crux of it. If I travelled and took loads of photos then it becomes a slightly more interesting proposition.

Kryton57

I had the Samsung S8 Edge, only rubbish aspect was the screen edge, It’s active while you’re holding it.

You can turn that off in the settings.   I have both iPhone for work, S8 for personal use and that for me is the definition of the difference.  The iPhone just is, the Samsung you can do what you like with it.   The main feature for me is that a decent Android phone – unless you want to willy wave to your mates – is far less expensive than an iPhone e.g.  Moto G7’s knocking around for £130 currently.

Having dropped my S8 several times I can’t bear the thought of juggling a £1000 phone in the pub, in the back pocket of a bike jersey or at a campsite.  In fact my S8 has been in a muddy forest puddle after Jnr took a photo for me then fell over on his way back up a forest trail.  Lucky it’s waterproof eh…

AlexSimon

I’ve just switched from iPhone to Google Pixel 2
    Here are my thoughts after 3 weeks.

Pros:

Cheaper – especially better camera for the money with the Pixel (I paid £170 refurbished) I could have got an iPhone 7 for the same money, but I wasn’t tempted.

More responsive screen – fewer typing errors and especially that initial startup code entry – iphone would never catch the first digit – got really annoying.

Better integration between google apps. I prefer having Google Maps as the default integrated maps instead of the Apple maps. So it becomes much more useful in contacts/websites/etc.
    Gmail is better in the phone than the app was on iOS too.

NFC and finger recognition in general is quicker. It could be that this was improved in later iPhones – not sure.

Cons

Far more notifications. Wow – the number at the beginning was unbelievable! You have to turn off notifications individually for about 30 things. Easy to do, as you just click on the notification as it comes through and turn it off, but it seems there are endless categories of notifications.

Sound quality through the speakers is much less refined. Same quality over headphones.

Everything feels a little less calm. It’s all a little jumpier and more manic. Definitely prefer the more mature, grown-up feeling of iOS.

I keep noticing new deals for android phones. All of a sudden the market is huge, whereas before, it was very easy to feel settled with the iPhone you’d got. YMMV

Equal

Pretty much everything else is equal across the formats once you get used to the idiosyncrasies of the os. They’ve been copying each other for so long that a surprising amount feels natural.

Apps seem largely the same. Strava, etc have a few little differences, but nothing particularly good or bad.

stumpyjon

Only issue I’ve had with Samsung is the battery swelling up on my S8 and forcing the rear cover off. Seems to have been a problem with yhe S7 as well. I wonder if it was related to fact i almost exclusively induction charge it, it did get quite hot sometimes. Managed to replace it with a new S8+ for less than £400 from Amazon, its still alot of phone for a lot less than the latest model of anything. Son has an A8 which cost £170, does everything he needs and looks quite good. Personally im not sure why people pay top whack for the latedt phone, want the best camera, buy a cheaper phone and proper camera.

sc-xc

Thanks again to everyone, lots of really useful information.

My iPhone is in its third year…would the Apple store still want to fix it?

swedishmetal
    Free Member

If it just needs cleaning then I can’t imagine why not.
    My iPhone 7 – I had a new battery put in by Apple and it runs like new again, 3 years old. 1hr and £45.

molgrips
    Free Member

Worth noting re typing that you can install different keyboards on Android, not sure if you can do this on Apple. Samsung’s default keyboard is ok but doesn’t have a full stop on the main page – wtf? So I use Google’s keyboard.

Also, if you want to clean fluff out of a port, use a bristle plucked from a stiff brush – not something metal. Works well and does not damage anything. I cleaned a load of fluff out of my USB-C port when I thought it was coming loose.

I use wireless charging on my S9 because I think it’s safer – less chance of having it knocked and broken, and I want to keep the phone as long as possible. However I think the battery getting a bit warmer might take some life out of the batter. But then the temperature is limited to 45 which is meant to be safe so dunno. Batteries are a standard replacement option though unlike charger ports.

Personally im not sure why people pay top whack for the latedt phone, want the best camera, buy a cheaper phone and proper camera.

Because you don’t want to have to carry a camera around everywhere to get good impromptu snaps, I’d have thought this was obvious.

Oh and dual sim works really well on Samsung – I have one.

mogrim

I’ve just switched from iPhone to Google Pixel 2
    Here are my thoughts after 3 weeks.

… and that’s exactly what I meant in my final comment “I suspect that if you’re a habitual iOS user you’d probably get the same feeling, just the other way round”. I find it amusing that @AlexSimon doesn’t like the Android notifications as one of the main things I disliked about iOS were the poorly implemented notifications. He’s also saying iOS felt more “mature and grown up”, when I found it a bit childish in the way it’s locked down and takes a whole load of decisions away from you.

And I can’t say he’s wrong, we’re both making very subjective decisions based largely on what we’re used to. But, he’s wrong 🙂

chrismac

Checkout the samsung a50. It’s virtually the same phone for the bits that mattered for me

ads678

If I’m out on a solo night ride I use the location sharing feature so that my wife can see where I am if I’m late back.

This also works on Google maps.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘What will I miss/gain by moving from iPhone to Samsung?’ is closed to new replies.