Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • what wifi router?
  • dirksdiggler
    Free Member

tldr – want wifi router with;
    decent parental controls
    wifi radio off with scheduling ability
    possibility to use a VPN to watch georestricted services across all devices?
    signal power reduction option
    low power consumption

Just upgraded our home internet to gigabit. partly as the isp’s old router on the 300mbps plan was no longer activating device schedules (e.g. no internet to main tv before 8.30am) and the new package was cheaper.
    Anyway, the new AX/wifi6 router will let me set up device schedules and profiles with the ability to pause wifi to certain profiles, but I cant turn the wifi radio off overnight.

wifi devices wise we only have 3 mobile phones and occasionally a laptop that we connect to wireless. not wif6 but presumably the next phones that are overdue will be.

All other devices are wired ethernet. smart tv, roku, ps5, nintendo switch, desktop PC and a couple of extra RJ45 sockets for kids laptop etc. May also add an ip security camera too.
    We don’t have terrestrial TV, we stream through our wired tv/roku devices, netflix, amazon prime video, redbull tv, FilmON, disney etc

This ISP provided hardware has bridge mode option in the user interface.
    Small house (120sqm) so don’t want or need any big range device. Lower power consumption would be great.

Any suggestions?
    thanks

cyclingdiogenes
    Free Member

ASUS RT-AX86U

Cougar

You want to schedule Wi-Fi access and the only wireless devices you have are phones? You know how phones work, right?

Anyway, as above, after a world of pain in a house with two-foot thick internal walls I’d go with Asus also. And indeed, did, I bought the AX92U. It has configuration options far beyond my knowledge.

batfink
    Free Member

The Synology router is very strong on parental controls – I haven’t checked, but I’m pretty sure that it would do everything you want.

You can also add additional (cheaper) units to form a mesh network too.

It also has a security camera software interface, which place nicely with their routers and NAS.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

You want to schedule Wi-Fi access and the only wireless devices you have are phones? You know how phones work, right?

Haha, No.. I want a schedule to turn the entire wifi radio off. As in off…off off. Not just just idle with the wifi devices not accessing it.

Receptions not a major concern. 2.4 and 5ghz AC both provided sufficient reception throughout the out stick built house. Turns out the new ISP provided AX router allows my kids mate who lives ~100m down the street to use it from his house too so I guess I should do a ssid/password change

The Asus 86u looks great but might be a little more than I need. I will look deeper into this and the synology.
    ta

Cougar

I want a schedule to turn the entire wifi radio off

Why? What are you seeking to achieve?

Turns out the new ISP provided AX router allows my kids mate who lives ~100m down the street to use it from his house too so I guess I should do a ssid/password change

Your kid likely told him the password. So yes, change that.

Changing the SSID will achieve nothing.

If the mate is using it from 100m away that’s hella impressive, tending towards highly unlikely on an ISP-provided router unless you’re the only two buildings in a half mile radius and your house is made out of Victoria spongecake.

batfink
    Free Member

Here you go….. gives you a bit of an overview:

bassmandan

Why don’t you just buy a separate AP to go with the router you have? Something like a Ubiquiti Unifi will give you the wireless control you are looking for at least.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘what wifi router?’ is closed to new replies.