Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What wheels
  • justinbieber

I’ve got an Orange Five and I’m still running the original wheels – Hope Pro 2 (not evo’s) and WTB speed disk rims. I’m looking to shed some weight, but I don’t want to compromise on strength. Does anyone know what Stans rims are comparable to the WTBs? They haven’t gone massively out of true or got any serious dings, so I don’t need anything beefier.

Options are Hope hoops with Crest or Arch EX, but recently I’ve been looking at the American Classics. I’d love a set of Mavic Crossmax ST, but they’re way over budget.

Any thoughts?

robbonzo
    Free Member

Id say Crests would be a little too lightweight on a five, depends what you do with the bike I guess. I run WTB I23s with hope hubs. Lovely wheelset, strong, light, and resonable price. and I believe they are based on Stans. Or you could get the I19s which are lighter still and similar to Arch Exs.

[/url] GRAPIL TRAIL by robbonzo, on Flickr[/img]

justinbieber

That’s kinda what I was thinking, but then if they (Crests) are comparable to the WTB rims I can’t see myself having a problem with them, as I’ve hammered the current wheels pretty hard and not had any issues.

robbonzo
    Free Member

On the Stans site Crests are 340g, whereas your WTB speed discs are 450g. Crests are really an XC rim.

Northwind

Crests are an XC rim but pretty durable… Thing with a Five is it can be all things to all men so they might be suitable, they might not. Arch Ex isn’t a massive step up in weight though.

justinbieber

Thanks Robbonzo – I had no idea of the weight of the WTB rims (a google search proved fruitless). Annoyingly that means the weight saving won’t be massive if I switch to the Arch EX rims.

Northwind – I ride my Five everywhere. I live near the Lakes so big passes, hike-a-bike and boulders feature alongside Whinlatter and the 7 Stanes.

wl
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat. Building up a Five and ride Pennines and Lakes but don’t want to use my old WTB Dual Duties (550g per rim). Seems to me, Arch EX is significantly lighter at around 400g but probably tough enough (more or less same profile as a Flow, and Flows are strong enough for DH, allegedly). Crest would defo be a step too light, I reckon. Arch is a nice compromise. Plus the ‘build’ is arguably almost important as the rim itself? Anyone think different? Got any experience of the Arch EX?

wl
    Free Member

Bump

shredder
    Free Member

Just had some B.O.R XMD 388 rims built to Evo Pro 2’s by Moonglu.

Was looking at Arch EX but the B.O.R rims were recommended to me on here.

Very similar profile to the Arch but with a few key differences.

Info here

Very nice !

Also had these built by Moonglu
    DT 240’s to Flow EX with custom graphics and red spokes

But that’s another story

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What wheels’ is closed to new replies.