Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What wheels?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Thinking about upgrading my wheels as they are old and have been on various bikes and I’m feeling a bit flush. Seen some good deals on 717s with XT hubs. Need to be fairly easy to get spares for as I’m in Oz and spares are notoriously pricey. Currently got Crossrides and been quite happy with them. Anyone using SLX hubs/rims? To go on a Pipedream Sirius 631 with Revelation coils @ 130mm.

Thanks

perthmtb
    Free Member

As it happens, I took delivery of some MT65 SLX wheels this morning, and have just been fitting the rotors & tyres, hoping to give’m a spin tomorrow. There’s some good deals on the MT65 at the mo if you don’t mind riding last year’s model, because the new MT66/68 are just out.

In fact IMHO the MT65 are superior to the new model anyway, as they have the XT level full UST rim, whereas the new models are really only tubeless ready as they require rim strips and sealant, tho’ that only matters if you’re planning on going tubeless.

I bought mine here for AU$170 delivered, and it took exactly 2 weeks for them to come thru to me in Perth. I’ll be running them with Maxxis UST tyres on my Trance, and they’re replacing the stock Giant wheels that came with it.

Or if you’re willing to spend a bit more, then take a look at the XT wheels – either the ‘race’ M785 or the ‘trail’ M788 if you want something a bit tougher. I’ve got the M785 on my 29er, but there’s not much difference between them and the MT65 TBH – basically a slightly different hub, and of course they have those magic initials ‘XT’ on them 😉

As for spares, these wheels use the Shimano straight pull spokes, which aren’t easy (or cheap!) to get in Oz, but these guys have them (just ignore the fact they describe the MT65 as 29ers, they’re not, that’s the MT75).

Hope all that may be of some interest to you, have fun shopping 😀

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Much obliged amigo.

Had a blast round Rotto today. Took my old man as a birthday treat while he’s over from the UK. Great day. I’ll see what’s around then but 170 bucks is a really good price… For the pair, yeah? If so, amazing.

Mark

BTW where in Perth are you again. I’m sure I asked before but can’t remember.

mafiafish
    Free Member

rather than xc717s maybe take a look at old 355 or arch wheelset, they seem to be around for cheap since thre crest and arch ex came out.

perthmtb
    Free Member

For the pair, yeah? If so, amazing.

Yup, 65% off 😀

BTW where in Perth are you again. I’m sure I asked before but can’t remember.

Bibra Lake mate. Usually to be found riding at the KC on a weekend. Took the new SLX wheels for a spin round J’dale on Sunday, but I can’t honestly say I noticed any difference in the ride from the stock Giant ones, but it was mainly the pinchflat protection of tubeless I wanted.

Drop me a PM at the PMBC website if you’d like to take a look at the wheels before you buy, I lurk there under the name of Mamil.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh yeah got a few mates up in Bibra. We nearly moved there ‘cos Freo is so darn expensive now but the commute to Rockingham hospital was a bind. We’re in Warnbro (great beach!).

Got the folks here atm and we’re all sharing round gastric flu…. Great. Will give you a shout after Chrimbo as I need to get out on some proper trails. New wheels or not!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What wheels?’ is closed to new replies.