Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • What were YOU doing 40 years ago today
  • bigblackshed

perchypanther – Member

All I remember of the summer of 77 was my complete fascination of Star Wars and when I could manage to see it again at the cinema.

Again? Didn’t come out in U.K. Cinemas till Christmas of 77[/quote]

Assuming I was in the UK at the time. Dangerous game is assumption.

BigJohn

We (Mrs BigJohn & I) were in our new 1st flat in Bradford. Julius K Scragg, DJ on Pennine Radio (235 MW) broke the news as we were getting a door-to-door enquiry as the Yorkshire Ripper had just killed his 2nd victim in our road. Not just his 2nd victim, his 2nd in our road.

Young PC was admiring our two dope plants proudly on show in our front full-length window. “I’m a keen gardener but I don’t recognise those ferns”.

We have an unreconstructed punk in our local pub. He’s a bin-man (natch, as they say) with one of the best Mohicans (Mohawks?) I’ve ever seen and regularly wears a T-shirt emblazoning the headline “Elvis dies, age 42 – he was a fat c…”.

You can guess the rest.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Wow.. I’m so glad you asked that because after some investigating I realised that this week 40 years ago I was on holiday in Wales. The only holiday I had as a child. It was organised and paid for by a local charity for underprivileged children which was run by a group of local teachers. 30 years later I decided I’d made a little cash and wanted to do something for the same charity. My timing was impeccable as a couple of weeks later I attended their winding up meeting. The original teachers had all grown old, the younger ones werent interested, I was devastated.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Working a summer season at the Pentire Hotel, Newquay.

chipster

I was a 17 year old in Fingers nightclub in Bridlington, when the DJ announced the news.

pennine
    Free Member

Heard it over CB radio (AM) whilst driving north on the A1 in my ‘Yorkie Bar’ wagon & drag (DAF rigid with A-bar trailer). Incidentally, my STW username used to be my CB handle.

b1galus
    Free Member

i was in Lossiemouth on 849 nas playing volleyball on the line waiting for the cabs to return . quite a shock really as i was a bit of a fanboy

alric
    Free Member

My girl and I were hitch hiking down to Newquay

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I was 20 & was a plant/vehicle fitter with Durham City Council. On that fateful day I was changing an oil seal on the rear axle of a Ford D series 3 ton tipper, & when the bad news about Elvis came over the workshop radio I shouted, ‘****!’

As the half shaft went back into the splines in the differential I stupidly had my finger tips between the half shaft flange & the hub. (face fit)
    6 big blood blisters!

MrOvershoot

ton – Member

stood in front of the headmasters office, waiting to get the cane.
    Bloody hell I know you had it tough in Yorkshire but still @ school in mid August?

I was in the Pyrenees with my father mapping some very impressive geological faults

TiRed

Spoiling my almost twin sister’s ninth birthday, because I had to wait another 10 days for mine whilst we were the same age. She would have been 49 today.

hammerite
    Free Member

I was a foetus.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Being 4 years old I would have been considering my new hardtail options and what 27.2 dropper I could fit. You just could not get an opinion on these things back in the day.

muddy@rseguy

My 7 year old self was wondering who this Elvis person was and what all the fuss was about.

A few weeks later, having been subjected to a load of Elvis movies that the BBC had put on in tribute ( instead of the usual kids programme during the holiday daytime) my initial opinion hadn’t really changed much, except that I felt that Tom and Jerry was much better.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

working on a ship in the merchant navy

jam-bo

As the half shaft went back into the splines in the differential I stupidly had my finger tips between the half shaft flange & the hub. (face fit)
    6 big blood blisters!

Norfolk?

Watty

I was 17 and having a little 3 week holiday in the guardroom of a military establishment in the south of England whilst all my mates were on leave. I think an RP told me, or possibly someone on the fire piquet. I don’t remember being particularly upset, I was having my own problems.

Defender
    Free Member

I’d started work just over a month before, I remember everyone talking about it there, but the moment I first heard, I don’t remember exactly.

freeagent
    Free Member

I was 4 years 8 months old – so not really aware of big events like that..

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘What were YOU doing 40 years ago today’ is closed to new replies.