Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • What were YOU doing 40 years ago today
  • irc

Camping with friends 3 miles from the road beside Loch Lomond. Three girls we had met the day before walked up from Rowerdennan and told us the news. No big deal really. Past it American singer dies.

I was more shocked on October 20th that year when Lynyrd Skynyrd’s plane crashed. I listened to their music, not Elvis.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You lot are old.

I’m not sure i can think of any musicians deaths that affected me.

Johnny Cash? And by then was at college!

Drac

Wait until Joe Cocker dies we’ll all remember that day.

plumber
    Free Member

My mum was crying I remember that clearly as the news was on TV, loads of people queuing around gracelands

sharkbait
    Free Member

I was doing pretty much what I’m doing now – I’m by the beach.
    The only differences are that today I’m working and we have a different house to back then – I’m now 400m away but can almost see the old house from where I’m sat.

ourmaninthenorth

Happy birthday Grim..!

I’d have been 11 months old. Probably gargling my first word. Which was “bobby”, not Elvis….

(I’ve been to Gracelands – amazingly non-tacky given all its associations.)

globalti
    Free Member

I was holiday driving for a plant hire firm in Newcastle, mainly delivering to Tyneside Metro construction sites so I’d have heard it on the radio of my MK1 Transit.

transporter13
    Free Member

Werent even an itch in my old mans nutsack

somafunk

Seeing as i was 5yrs old i guess i was doing whatever my parents told me to do, apart from staying in school all day – i often used to jump on my bike and take myself home or if my dad was landing (fishing boats) i would wander down to the harbour and hang about on the boat till he went home.

Thanks to my gran i could read, write and spell quite well by the time i went to school so i was often bored shiteless which was a good enough reason to wander off and amuse myself.

theotherjonv

I was 8, and my mum and auntie were sat on the patio with the first fag and coffee of the day. I got the newspaper from the front door, read the headline without understanding. and carried it through to them. I asked them who Elvis was and they asked why so i told them.

The memory of the response is still pretty vivid now.

chiefgrooveguru

Ask me again in a year. Probably crying, sleeping or feeding then.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Getting pissed in Walton Street Oxford, having a curry and my mates wife walked down to find us and tell him that Elvis was dead. He was a massive fan and was holding back tears for an hour.

johndoh
    Free Member

It was the week before my 10th birthday (so yes I am 50 next week) and my mum & dad had taken us away camping as a birthday treat for me.

In the early hours me and my big brother were listening to a little transistor radio and heard on a news flash that Elvis had died. Knowing that our dad was a big fan, we ran screaming to our mum & dad shouting ‘He’s dead! He’s dead!’ and when they found out who they just told us to be quiet and went back to sleep.

Later that morning we went foraging for wild mushrooms to eat with our camp breakfast.

Tomorrow we take our eight year olds camping 🙂

jamj1974

In my Great Uncle Alfs Austin Maxi. The news came on the radio and everyone in the car was stunned at the news – except me. I was 3 and had no real understanding…

Nico
    Free Member

I wasn’t impressed by Elvis at the age of 18 months.

Me neither. He’d sold out by then.

August 1977? I was kung fu fighting.

johndoh
    Free Member

On another Elvis related topic – I recall my dad selling a rare Elvis LP back in the 70s for £50. I can’t begin to imagine how much it is worth now.

whitestone
    Free Member

You lot are old.

I can remember being woken up to watch Neil Armstrong step onto the moon, Aberfan, my dad watching the ’66 world cup final and I know where I was and what I was doing when it was announced that Kennedy had been assassinated.

donald
    Free Member

As a 16 year old I wasn’t that bothered. As far as I was concerned at that time music started in the late 60s. Everything before that was in black and white.

70s news items I remember :

Thatcher being elected

I voted in that election; she still got in.

donald
    Free Member

I can remember being woken up to watch Neil Armstrong step onto the moon,

Ditto

Aberfan,

Ditto

my dad watching the ’66 world cup final

Scottish. No way we were watching that.

and I know where I was and what I was doing when it was announced that Kennedy had been assassinated.

You’ve got me there. I was only 2.

psling
    Free Member

Elvis is dead??? 😯

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I was all shook up. 😉 😆

But seriously, you expect me remember what I was doing on a specific day when I was 3? I’d struggle to tell you what I was doing last year on this day in any meaningful detail! 😳

whitestone
    Free Member

@donald – I didn’t say I remembered it, only that I knew where I was. 😉

@noddy – can you remember what you were doing on 11th Sept 2001 roughly 2pm BST?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I havent a clue what I was doing ……….**** all has changed there then 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Elvis is dead???

No, he’s not dead; he just went home…

Rachel

TheWrongTrousers

Scout camp in a field in Coledale in The Lake District

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@wibble 😉 – I woke up to the breaking news of the Twin Towers tragedy, back then my sleeping pattern was often really screwed up.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Discovering The Sex Pistols on John Peel’s “Top Gear”…

patentlywill
    Free Member

working in a kitchen in the basement of a Boston Bar in Faneuil Hall (in Quincy Market), making salads and hamburger patties. A Cheers type bar but 5 years before that show was made. Didn’t mean much to me as Elvis was err uncool (then) and I was into hippysh*t music… But now I realise he did sone great songs and had an amazing voice..

bikebouy
    Free Member

I would have been playing on a beach somewhere along the coast of Cape Canaveral, dressed in a pair of 70’s terry toweling shorts as a very young kid.

maccruiskeen

Probably in the kitchen watching my dad pull bits of the pressure cooker out of the ceiling while rubarb dripped of every surface.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I was out riding my bike (5 sp Dawes Chevron racer) with my mate Melvyn Evans who told me as if war had broken out. I’d never been an Elvis fan and at 14 wasn’t about to start.

Melvyn was a little scandalised and as he was one of the cooler* kids I wondered if I had missed something.

* all relative; this was Shropshire.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I picked up the paper (Daily Express?) at my Grandads in Tottenham and showed the front page to my mum. I remember her being shocked.

scotroutes

Came home from an evening shift, webt to bed and put Radio Luxembourg on. I couldn’t understand why they were playing back-to-back Elvis tracks until the presenter mentioned his death.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Didn’t bother me in the slightest at the time, nor did the death of Buddy Holly. Perversely, I like them both now (apart from In the Ghetto and American Trilogy, which sucked then and still do).
    I did cry the first time I heard “Imagine” after Lennon’s death.

mattsccm
    Free Member

At 14 I doubt I even knew. Watching the news wasn’t high on my list of priorities. I suspect I my have cheered though not being a fan and fed up of those who were. Didn’t really go with my tastes at the time.

bigblackshed

All I remember of the summer of 77 was my complete fascination of Star Wars and when I could manage to see it again at the cinema.

And Elvis ain’t dead. Last anyone heard he was working in a Burger Lord in Des Moines gently humming Love Me Tender.

perchypanther
    Free Member

All I remember of the summer of 77 was my complete fascination of Star Wars and when I could manage to see it again at the cinema.

Again? Didn’t come out in U.K. Cinemas till Christmas of 77

teasel
    Free Member

We’d stopped somewhere in Derbyshire en route to the Lakes to escape the foretold Jubilee street parties – some village green with a parade of shops in which my dad procured some Creme Eggs for the first time, not doing so before because he reckoned my younger brother wouldn’t eat it.

I remember reading the headline on the paper whilst simultaneously (and rather successfully) convincing my baby bro that he wouldn’t like the Egg because it was, in fact, a real egg encapsulated inside the chocolate coating.

Gullible sod. More for me and big bro.

🙂

Edit : Actually, I think we were on a second holiday as I seem to remember going south in the Jubilee year, too.

funkmasterp

I was caught in a trap and I couldn’t walk out. Either that or I was a poor little boy with a runny nose, out in the street where the cold wind blows.

winston
    Free Member

Cub camp at Mepal somewhere in the depths of East Anglia. Our sailing instructor told us about an hour before me and James Greetham got banned fron the lake for repeately capsizing toppers at speed and on purpose to see if we could snap the masts..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘What were YOU doing 40 years ago today’ is closed to new replies.