• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What waterproof/resistant bib tights?
  • jonnyrockymountain

Getting ready for the wet and cold season what do people recommend, but not too fleecy and warm as i’am after something for warmer wet days rather than freezing cold conditions

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I have some Sportful No-rain tights. They work to a degree with keeping the rain out. But I still was a bit moist over a 2:45 road ride yesterday. The pad stayed dry, which is what really matters I reckon.

DanW
    Free Member

Lusso Max Repel can be had for around £40 and are absolutely fantastic. I wear my most comfortable 3/4 bibs underneath and that seems to do the trick for any 3-4 hour ride in heavy rain in Spring/ Autumn/ Winter.

In my opinion the key to any waterproof stuff on the bike is insulation. You need another layer in between the Waterproof Lusso’s and skin, so in the Summer I have worn my lightest, thinnest 3/4 bibs underneath and not overheated. A good example of why I say insulation is important is I have some CAstelli Nano Light stuff which is also very waterproof but as soon as it rains the coolness of the rain instantly gets transferred to skin so even though skin is dry it might as well be getting wet with how cold the skin feels…

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Manito above speaks the truth.

Not sure what you can do on the road, but on MTB rides wearing shorts over my bibs does the trick.

DanW
    Free Member

MTB baggies over bibs keeps the spray off your rear end and are fine for shorter rides IMO, but in the heavy rain on longer rides the waterproof layers of a waterproof tight around the knee and calf are really quite welcome to not get too cold/ miserable 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Stealth but pricey
    max repel repel but are not actually waterproof and I would not take mine out in proper rain and expect to be dry

FWIW Stealth when it is proper raining or water on the ground. These will keep you dry to biblical levels IME

Repel for drizzle ,light rain or generally crappy weather

Stealth do lines and unlined
    the unlined are a touch cold once wet in deppest winter but not enough to induce chills but not quite comfortable either
    Like you i assume the fleece lined would be too warm for many conditions

composite
    Free Member

If you are only worried about keeping the pad dry then use Vaseline… on the inside.

LeeW

Stealth are great when they work but I’ve sent two pairs back to Endura (for a full refund) after they just didn’t work any more.

I had the thermal ones first which were very (maybe too) warm, they lasted about a year. The second pair I bought were the regular ones which lasted a bit longer. I did wear them for MTB which may not have helped, but I did look after them using the correct washing/reproofing procedures.

Endura were superb though both times, they had them back tested them and instructed Wiggle/CRC to refund in full – and return postage.

jamj1974

Pearl Izumi Amfib are my waterproof tight of choice. I’ve never tried the Max Repel from Lusso, but I only have great things to say about their standard thermal tights over the last 18 years.

DanW
    Free Member

Does anyone know where the Pearl Izumi Amfib can be found for a good price? I am in need of a second pair of winter tights and before buying Lusso again I think the Pearl Izumi’s may be worth a try. A quick Google suggests the cheapest a Medium can be had for is £90-100 😕

jamj1974

They are expensive…

simondbarnes

Castelli Fluido Nanoflex bibtights here although maybe a bit warm and expensive for you.

Nobby

+1 for Pearl Izumi, I’ve been very impressed with mine after using Stealths for a few years.

Sport Pursuit had a PI sale on last week – it may still be running.

jonk

Ride Pro Aqua zero’s here http://www.ridebosh.com/mens_clothing/lower_bodym/Ride_Pro_Aquazero_Bib_Tight_With_Insert.html

Fantastic for the money and well rated.

matt_outandabout

I have some ‘cheap from eBay’ but rather splendid Scott ones – softshell panels on lower legs n bum. Enough to keep most rain away, without the uber sweaty feeling of some of the ‘properly’ waterproof bib longs.

jonnyrockymountain

Please more I need more choice please!

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I’m quite tempted by the ride pro aquas above.

DanW
    Free Member

Santini H20 material is quite nice too and rated as waterproof as any of the other suggestions here. They tend to be pricey but have a quality, understated feel. I have the long sleeve jersey and am more than happy going for a bimble in the rain 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What waterproof/resistant bib tights?’ is closed to new replies.