Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What waterproof jacket for walking to pubs/cafes
  • flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Looking for suggestions for a waterproof shell jacket good for walking to local pubs, cafes. Winter’s on the way and want to continue getting out for walks in the wet weather.

So what you got?

beej

I’ve got a Berghaus one that’s good for walking to town. I’ve not tried it with pubs, but there are pubs and cafes in town.

What’s your budget?

winston
    Free Member

If its anything like the walk to the pub round here (leafy east sussex) then judging by what I’ve seen this is obviously up there with an ascent of K2.

You’ll need a technically cut 3 layer laminate with a helmet compatible hood, harness accessible pockets, recco reflector and pit zips.

500 quid minimum or you will die in the attempt.

PMK2060

If you only intend to wear it for walks to pubs/cafes then it needs to be a RAB jacket.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

North Face sleeping bag coat some walking poles and rucksack. You’ll be kitted out for a Great British walk (not too far from the motor) around a Lake District town centre or retail village (call it a hike) then pub lunch to recover!

lunge

Decathlon MH500. Not too ugly, waterproof, not mega expensive either. I like mine a lot and can confirm it works fine for a walk to the pub.

mrb123
    Free Member

Think Sport Pursuit’s Fjern range are fairly well regarded.

I have a Mountain Equipment Lhotse but that’s possibly overkill for your requirements…

bob_summers

Used to borrow my dad’s Drizabone Rider for that very purpose whenever I was over. Weighed about 10kg and looked ridiculous but it’s the only thing that kept Cumbrian rain out.

amodicumofgnar

The great British pub and hill jacket used to be the Berghaus Mera Peak.

The link goes to the Berghaus on line shop – just to give you an idea of different jacket styles.

If it came down to just walk through fields and go to the pub something in the style of the Hillmaster. If that’s a bit too understated and you fancy looking more mountain then something like the Arran Jacket.

I’ve mostly got Berghaus at the moment but I live close to an outlet shop that sells end of line / samples at bargain prices. Before that I had mostly Mountain Equipment kit – again because I lived close to an outlet shop. Alpkit do some really good value stuff. There are also more manufacturers doing jackets which are easy to recycle / have less environmentally damaging manufacturing.

chewkw
    Free Member

Craghoppers with Aquadry waterproof systems 15,000

cakeandcheese

Had a Berghaus jacket once. It was £200 and had a “lifetime warranty”.

<18months later it was dead. The zip wouldn’t stay closed and they refused to honour the warranty. It was used for one winter of wearing to the pub and work when it was nasty out.

I’ll not buy another and don’t recommend them to other people. There are plenty of decent brands about (Alpkit stuff always does me well).

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all.
    Some of them made me titter.

Will check out some brands you’ve recommended. Not wanting to spend massive amount but also don’t want to get soaked on a 2 mile walk.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Something very high end like Rab.

vondally
    Free Member

I would suggest look at the cut, a lot of jackets are shorter for a climbing harness or for skiing, if you are walking to the pub a slightly longer cut I would suggest is better simply as the rain with not drench your jeans around your pockets or zipper.
    Can recommend the decathlon option if it fits, used mine for walking and mountain bike.

PS I got a regatta waterproof coat (5,000 mm) with a fleece lined for 19.99 in gaynor sports couple of years back – just as a cheap jacket to throw on after biking – survived two years of abuse, waterproof warm and looks good as a black parka can!

chewkw
    Free Member

I bought my Craghoppers from TK Maxx for less than £50 and I wear it almost everyday during the winter for the last 6 to 7 years. Still like new.

CountZero

Peter Storm packable jacket from Millets, about £20. Perfectly adequate, put on over something like a Decathlon Down ultralight, or a Uniqlo Ultralight, about £60-70 tops.
    Mine gets worn all day in pouring rain, water does seep through, but in winter it goes over my Buffalo Special 6, so I’m nice and warm and dry, the Special 6 outer gets damp, but I stay dry.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Barbour.

jeffl

I’ve got an older version of the Decathlon MH500 jacket. Two years old and going strong. So I’d recommend that.

amodicumofgnar

Not wanting to spend massive amount but also don’t want to get soaked on a 2 mile walk.

In that case. The more budget friendly brands:

Mountain Warehouse, Craghoppers, Trespass, Peter Storm, Regatta, Decathlon

tall_martin

An umbrella plus what ever you have now? ; )

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I don’t even know what my waterproof jacket is and if I go into the hallway to find out my life will be over.

rOcKeTdOg

As all the pubs will soon be shut under lockdown or out of business I’d save the money and use it to get beer delivered from your local independent brewery

franksinatra

2 mile walk? 4 mile round trip? Why not cocky then you get more drinking time?

Recommend what ya got – I’ve got this Fox jacket, which seems decent enough for pub duties, without looking like a hiker

Does have Fox Racing written on the arms though, albeit subtly

footflaps

Jesus, I can’t believe no one has recommended the Arteryx Alpha SV Jacket – anything less and he’s risking his life with sub standard clothing….

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/alpha-sv-jacket

IHN

This is up there in the banality stakes with the ‘recommend me some shoes’ thread from years ago.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Are Barbour waterproof anymore?
    Thought they were more fashion items these days

Fox jacket looks good 👍

That arcteryx jacket is excellent. The yellow colour will fit right in when I see clowns in roadside drains on a dark night.

blurty

Barbours are great. Waterproof enough, look better as they get older/ more shagged, natural materials, loads of styles and sizes/ shapes.

DrJ

Jesus, I can’t believe no one has recommended the Arteryx Alpha SV Jacket – anything less and he’s risking his life with sub standard clothing….

You say that but my Arcteryx Theta jacket is a good pub walk shell as it is cut quite long by Alpiniste standards so suitable for sitting down on wet benches.

SprayWay was mentioned a while ago and also seem to be a bit longer than others.

Painey
    Free Member

Rab Kinetic Alpine. The best thing I can say about is being soft and stretchy it doesn’t feel like a standard waterproof jacket. Looks good too. Got mine for £135 recently.

footflaps

Rab Kinetic Alpine.

I have one of those, nice jacket.

toofarwest

I’ve just had a Shimano Transit hardshell delivered from Sport Pursuit, not tried in the rain yet.
    Also have a Sioen Tornhill jacket supplied by my employer (with the internal fleece) that they refer to as a “walk to work coat” have a look at Granite workwear website.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What waterproof jacket for walking to pubs/cafes’ is closed to new replies.