Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 157 total)
  • What watch for about £1000
  • Cougar

I find it highly amusing where a bunch of blokes on a bike forum, where an entry level bike will cost roughly £1000, and will be worth a third of that in three years or so, sneer at someone who wants to spend the same on a wristwatch that could easily last forty, fifty or sixty years, and be worth far more than was paid for it.

I find it highly amusing that you want to infer that anyone is sneering. I suppose we all find our own amusement.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Any worksite I have been on bans all metal straps. If this is the case on yours then if you go that way it will sit in your pocket. If you get a leather strap it can get minging quickly….

neilnevill
    Free Member

What’s the reasoning for banning metal bracelets? Safety?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Probably, one word – “deglove”.

If you think about it you can imagine it. I would NOT recommend googling it unless you have a very strong stomach.

mugsys_m8

I’ve just come in from my construction site where the foreman was aksing me how much I paid for my watch (cheapest decathlon digital) because he thought it looked good. He’s currently gone away to convert the 12.99 euros into CFA (am in Mali) to see if he can afford it and ask me to pick one up for him when I go home next week.

Then I come into my office and see this thread….puts things in perspective for me.

sockpuppet

And if you think about the money lost on depreciation or pcp on the cars you see around*, makes bikes*** and watches** seem like reasonable expense…

*not cars like mine though, to be frank
    **or watches like mine either on reflection.

***bikes like mine though, practically a bargain!

sbob
    Free Member

There’s a name for people that wear jewellery;

women.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I find it highly amusing where a bunch of blokes on a bike forum, where an entry level bike will cost roughly £1000, and will be worth a third of that in three years or so, sneer at someone who wants to spend the same on a wristwatch that could easily last forty, fifty or sixty years, and be worth far more than was paid for it.

A £1000 bike offers far better performance over a £100 BSO.

An automatic £1000 watch actually offers poorer performance than a £20 quartz.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Obvious sbob is obvious.

bearnecessities

Sbobvious?

sbob
    Free Member

I do miss my watch with paws for hands and ticking eyes if I’m being honest, but watches are now superfluous, obsolete.

bearnecessities

Sbobsolete?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Or Skate for short.

Sbobviously.

Cougar

Sbobsolete?

Are you here all week? (-:

bearnecessities

As long as nobody sbobjects.

Cougar

I find the assertion that watches are (sb)obsolete because we have phones to be a bit odd. It’s all about convenience. The wristwatch displaced the pocket watch don’t forget, having the correct time in your pocket isn’t exactly a new invention.

TBH, I’d argue the opposite is true. If we could pack all of a smartphone’s functionality in a watch – and we’re getting there slowly – it’d be the phone which would become obsolete.

I’d be all over that, a watch with all the comms and a tablet for when you need a bigger screen, then we can consign these stupid “phablet” compromise devices to the scrapheap where they belong. In the future we’ll look back on how we all used to carry big daft phones around with the same “what the hell were we thinking” retrospection that we’d have now for Nokia 5.1s and VHS camcorders.

Yes I know, can open, worms everywhere.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You’re just being sbobtuse now.

Cougar

S’bob on.

perchypanther
    Free Member

S’bob on.

S’bobbins more like.

bearnecessities

Oh go on then.

Cougar

S’bobbins more like.

Robert the Welsh refuse collector?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Jones the Dust isn’t it.

sbob
    Free Member

I don’t know, you get out of bed to gently rib the modern day dandies and an hour later it’s descended into petty racism.
    🙄

gauss1777
    Free Member

descended into petty racism.

eh?

perchypanther
    Free Member

S’not racism.

S’bobism.

Jamie
    Free Member

petty racism.

The good kind of racism?

fd3chris
    Free Member

How does this thread end up here? This place is full of nut jobs.

wrecker
    Free Member

Back on track….
    A Sinn would be great, but the prices have rocketed recently, I doubt you’d get anything nice for anywhere near £1K.
    I’d look at Oris.
    Divers 65 42mm just over budget;

http://www.thewatchsource.co.uk/item/Oris/Divers-Sixty-Five-42mm/01%20733%207720%204055-07%205%2021%2002.html?utm_source=GBase&utm_medium=fpc&utm_campaign=GBase&gclid=CIWNjLS6vdICFRcTGwodbucOWA
    Big crown pro pilot;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oris-Crown-Propilot-Automatic-751-7697-4164FS-x/dp/B00P2LJS46/ref=sr_1_2?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1488651199&sr=1-2&keywords=oris

There’s a lot of milage in getting a cheaper watch for work and saving for something nice(r) which is what you’ll end up doing anyway!

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions but I’m finding I much prefer chronos to diver style watches.I do agree about the prices , nothing even remotely nice is near my budget.

wrecker
    Free Member

I bought a damasko which I wear for work. I do a lot of inspections on plant and machinery, I bought it for the fact it’s tough as old boots.
    Oh and only the top watch is a divers style, the second one is a pilots style. Chrono’s will be more expensive, so you won’t get as nice a watch for your money if you stick to that. Laco make some very nice quartz chromo’s which are really cheap and actually really nice! A proper brand who make quality kit. This one is £225.

Check out Hamilton watches too.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Will do thank you.

DezB
    Free Member

We’ve had a CountZero weirdfontspace lecture! This thread has everything.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Not my cup of tea but have a look at Vostok watches and their chronos. Rugged, cheap, well regarded and available on eBay, Amazon etc quite easily.
    I’d also suggest CWC although their price rises of late have been silly high but in budget second hand. Limited range though. You might want to make sure you get a sapphire crystal as anything like Plexiglas or hardlex will scratch up more easily.
    The answer is still a gshock and a nice watch though 😉

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve just seen a gshock for £1400. That confuses everything!! I still like certain Tags. Carrera and monza and of course monaco. Even been looking at uboat which look a nice watch.

granny_ring

Sorry mate, I just don’t get it….£1k on a work watch……what has the world come to…. 🙂
    I’m sure you’ll find what you want to though, enjoy!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Even been looking at uboat which look a nice watch.

Seriously?? They are hideous.
    Apologies if you are a superhero or run a secret underground espionage agency so need to accessorise appropriately.

failedengineer

I’d second Certina, I’ve got a DS Podium automatic and it’s very nice. I’m going to sell my Omega Speedmaster because I prefer the Certina.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

SNDA57. Add a proper NATO strap and job done.

If it’s an everyday beater, £1000 is silly.

funkmasterp

LeeW

If you’re going to look at Hamilton watches check out Amazon, some real discounts around if you look.

Love Oris watch but they’re a bit too big enough for my wrist. 🙁

I don’t think you can go wrong with Seiko, again, easily find good discounts online.

Or, if you do find something you like in Beaver Brooks etc. don’t buy from them, go to a couple of independent retailers and play them off against each other, a friend has just had just over £600 off a new Breitling where high St chains would even consider it.

I love watches and have several nice ones that live in their box while I wear my Fenix.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘What watch for about £1000’ is closed to new replies.