Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)
  • What watch for about £1000
  • DezB
    Free Member

Jekkyl – I think you can even get watches where the date is displayed all the time. Like, you don’t even have to press a button!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just look at the wornandwound website, there is loads of eye candy at that price point on there

joolsburger
    Free Member

Secondhand Tag Super professional like this. If you like Tags a grand will get you one, maybe even a bit less…

If it were me I’d get a gshock for work and something from Sinn for not….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d get 10 £100 watches. At least you wouldn’t get bored with looking at the same face every day. Then again, you wouldn’t be able to look at the time and go “Let me just check the time on my £1000 watch” to yourself, so that probably wouldn’t work if you’re that type of person.

Unless you wore them all at the same time? Nothing says excessive wealth like 100 watches.

stever
    Free Member

Like the Speedmaster but not the price tag?

Mate of mine started doing watchy prints

plyphon
    Free Member

Thats a cool print. It reminds me of the speedmaster I have on my wrist.

Fueled
    Free Member

I’m really confused. Is this a joke thread or not?

Rubber_Buccaneer

jekkyl – Member
    Does your mobile phone tell the time?
    Is your mobile phone in your pocket pretty much 100% of the time?
    Can you spare the 3/4 seconds it will take to take your phone out of your pocket?

This will blow your mind. I have a smartwatch which I love because it saves me getting my phone out of my pocket. Don’t think I will ever have an ordinary watch again

plyphon
    Free Member

Fueled – Member
    I’m really confused. Is this a joke thread or not?

Is this whole forum a joke? Is life a joke? What is serious? tfw you realise everything is not real

fd3chris
    Free Member

I have a couple of smart watches and like them. I did look at the tag connected but it seems to miss out on a lot of activity functions, especially for a sporty watch.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Pretty sure the litigation when the maker of those prints gets their butt kicked for using the Omega name and logo won’t be a joke.

plyphon
    Free Member

Yes I believe a “cease and desist” will come their way blindingly quick. Watch manufacturers are known to be very hot on IP infringement.

Cougar

I don’t mean to be ‘that guy’ and I understand that some people like expensive watches.

But, I’ve spent a couple of hundred on one a couple of times and am terrified that something’s going to happen to it. A mate of mine has some Tag or other that he paid four figures for and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on his wrist since the first week he bought it.

And you’re looking to spend a thousand pounds on a second-hand watch (so christ knows its original value), to wear on a building site? Are hard-hats not compulsory where you work? Practicalities aside, I’d have thought that would be the last place you’d want to be flaunting wealth.

jekkyl

what’s wrong with a nice plasticky swatch like we all had in the 80s?

fd3chris
    Free Member

It’s not flaunting. No one will see it under sleeves and gloves. I want one as I miss owning one and I am intending to look after it. I know my work and I’m not exactly in demolition.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Practicalities aside, I’d have thought that would be the last place you’d want to be flaunting wealth

Cougar may not mean it in a “Loadsamoney” sense, but that if people see it they may want to nick it. I had a 400quid Tissot Automatic stolen out of the desk drawer while I worked at Halfords. I took it off as I was hammering the shizzle out of something, and later, it was gone.

matt_outandabout

Have you considered getting an MX5, or a girlfriend?

plyphon
    Free Member

But, I’ve spent a couple of hundred on one a couple of times and am terrified that something’s going to happen to it. A mate of mine has some Tag or other that he paid four figures for and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on his wrist since the first week he bought it.

That’s a shame. Watches, like cars, are meant to be worn, not cuddled up in a garage (wardrobe). Scratches add character, patina. When you buy a watch, at any price, you have to make peace with the fact it will get scratched. That’s just the fact of watch ownership life. It’ll never look like the day you bought it again – well, until you send it for a service anyway.

If you’re really worried, run a test. Buy a cheap £50 watch and over the course of a month see how many times you bash it on something hard enough to damage it.

I have myself a Speedmaster that I love to bits, and I wear it daily. I work in an office, not a building site, but I’ve yet to hit it. The only times I don’t wear it are if i’m going out on the mega razz to some grotty nightclub or if i’m at the gym/bike/other sport stuff.

My watch is also insured should the absolute worst happen, but I can count the times I’ve knocked it against something on one hand. finger.

Cougar

No one will see it under sleeves and gloves.

Seems doubly pointless to me, then. I mean, by all means buy yourself a nice present, but why not get a G-Shock or something for work as well?

Cougar may not mean it in a “Loadsamoney” sense, but that if people see it they may want to nick it.

I didn’t mean that so much as, it might breed resentment. Some junior labourer lugging bricks about for minimum wage is going to take one look at someone swanning about with a grand’s worth of watch on their wrist and think “what a ****.”

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I wonder how the poorly paid brickies feel when the boss turns up in his flashy watch?

Edit. I see you’ve made the point above too Cougar.

plyphon
    Free Member

Some junior labourer lugging bricks about for minimum wage is going to take one look at someone swanning about with a grand’s worth of watch on their wrist and think “what a ****.”

Unless it’s massively blingy and covered in diamonds, as long as its not a Rolex or a Tag most people won’t know what it is or what it’s worth.

Cougar

That’s a shame. Watches, like cars, are meant to be worn, not cuddled up in a garage (wardrobe). Scratches add character, patina.

TBH, I agree. It’s like grandparents having a set of crockery “for best” that never left the cupboard. If I had a thousand pound wristwatch I’d have it surgically grafted to my skin.

If you’re really worried, run a test. Buy a cheap £50 watch and over the course of a month see how many times you bash it on something hard enough to damage it.

I may have over-exaggerated by saying “terrified,” I’m not literally walking around in a panic all day. But I’m conscious of it and take it off (along with my wedding ring) if I’m doing any manual work. It’s a smartwatch so whilst I want to keep it looking nice I’m less concerned with aesthetics and more worried that if the glass gets damaged it’s game over.

The one I had before this was a ~£200 Citizen. It was a lovely thing, until I dragged it down a stone wall one day scuffing the bezel and taking a chunk out of the glass. It held up surprisingly well, all told. I later had it repaired by Citizen during a service.

Cougar

Unless it’s massively blingy and covered in diamonds, as long as its not a Rolex or a Tag most people won’t know what it is or what it’s worth.

Depends how low you go. The ‘commoners’ might not recognise a very expensive watch when they see one, but I’ll bet you the scrotes all will.

unovolo
    Free Member

Get yourself over to Chronext and have a look through there preowned section and see what grabs you, heres a few tasters:-

Fortis Marinemaster
    https://www.chronext.co.uk/fortis/marinemaster/647-10-41-k/11822

Oris Aquis
    https://www.chronext.co.uk/oris/aquis/01-733-7653-4158-07-4-26-32eb/C51410

Just received a New Nomos Club with Sapphire glassback from them(not what your looking for by the sound of things but a lovely watch)and I can definitely recommend them to purchase from.

bearnecessities

But, I’ve spent a couple of hundred on one a couple of times and am terrified that something’s going to happen to it.

£18 on top of home insurance covers all eventualities, theft, accidental damage, losing it in your rectum etc.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

losing it in your rectum etc

This has to be a wind-up?

DrP

This will blow your mind. I have a smartwatch which I love because it saves me getting my phone out of my pocket. Don’t think I will ever have an ordinary watch again

Funnily enough, I had a Pebble smart watch – I loved it initially, but then it just became another form of ‘contact with DrP’.
    I still wear it when I go out on teh bike as (ironically) that’s the one time I fear I’ll get messaged/called by teh wife something has gone awry, and I really don’t hear my phone on the bike.

I replaced it with a seamaster. Pricey, but I wear it every day for work/playing with the kids/running about.. I take it off for cycling (risk of fall MUCH higher) and for heavy DIY.
    It’s now got several scratches on the bottom of the clasp, and a little rub on teh bezel. But..I’m at peace with that.
    I’m not going to ever sell it, I’ll prob pass it to my son at some point.

Heck – I’m covered in scratches and blemishes, and I’m WAAAAY more valuable than a watch 😉

I kind of get the “don’t buy an expensive watch” lot – at the end of teh day it’s a watch.

But… given the option, would you rather get jiggy with the REAL Mila Kunis, or a ‘Mila Kunis Fleshlight’ – both will have the same ultimate ‘outcome’….

DrP

Cougar

I dunno, the crown might snag.

136stu
    Free Member

‘Mila Kunis Fleshlight’

This is great news – where can I get one?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Have you looked at Certina range? Swiss made but more sensible pricing. Plenty to look at.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’ll only be right twice a day once inserted. 🙁

But at least you don’t run the risk of the battery leaking. 😀

Edit: beaten to the punchline by Cougar

deepreddave
    Free Member

Funny how owning a £1k watch is potentially ostentatious but everyone coos over a £4k bike and never says that. If the OP cycled to work on that would you suggest he gets a pub bike for fear of looking flash?
    A £1k watch isn’t so bad when those same minimum wage labourers possibly have £500 phones on £40pm contracts or blow £100 on a Saturday on the town.
    I wouldn’t wear an expensive watch in construction but wabi isn’t a bad thing necessarily and a sports Rolex has generally kept pace with inflation or appreciated over that. They are the exception but at £5k today they’re a gold star investment compared to a bike!

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m liking you more and more Dave 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

They are the exception but at £5k today they’re a gold star investment compared to a bike!

Dunno about investment but cash in an isa getting no interest are just numbers on a screen.
    I paid 6.5k for one of mine three years ago and it now retails for 8.9k. Not bad going for something I enjoy and use everyday.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Seiko Pepsi auto .. timeless classy and will carry on working till the day you die , spend the rest on on an oyster strap .. and then no need for coke and hookers because your now lifestyle class and have no further need to pay for said C+H

Cougar

Seiko Pepsi auto

no need for coke and hookers

Please tell me that was intentional.

CountZero

I find it highly amusing where a bunch of blokes on a bike forum, where an entry level bike will cost roughly £1000, and will be worth a third of that in three years or so, sneer at someone who wants to spend the same on a wristwatch that could easily last forty, fifty or sixty years, and be worth far more than was paid for it.
    The first watch I bought with my own money, around 1970-ish, probably didn’t cost me more than around £50, I’ve no idea now, I’ve no idea if I’ve even still got the receipt, but I stopped wearing it around ten years later when I bought a Series 1000 Tag, cost me £250, which then gave way to my Seiko SPORK around six years ago, which I paid £350 for.
    My first watch I recently started wearing again after having a small issue fixed, but the mainspring has just gone, and I’ve managed to find someone in Marlborough who can fix, service, polish the case and replace the crystal, which is going to cost me £450!
    That cheap watch, made by a French watch maker, is now fetching upwards of €1000, I saw a cobbled-together Frankenwatch listed for €1190, IIRC, and I’ve seen others for similar in quite shabby condition.
    How much for a basic mountain bike in forty-odd year’s time, I wonder?
    Righog, those Straton Syncro watches don’t look like its a Monaco they’ve been based on, but one of these:

This is the watch that’s in for repair, a Yema Rallygraf Super, there’s a cheaper version, with two complications instead of the three on mine, and they’re very similar in style.
    Yema are still making them, but with a Citizen movement as they’re part of Swatch now; the were taken over by Seiko in the late 80’s.

bearnecessities

It’s about how the watch makes you feel. Knowing that when you’re in a meeting and pondering your decision whist others look on, they’re all reminded of your status by your timepiece. It’s a subtle way of motivating others and creating loyalty.

Those Seikos are nice enough, but you’d be brave to wear one in an office or commercial environment – they just kinda say directionless-aspiration, rather than good decision making.

As for G-shocks – nobody ever got with a woman of taste by wearing a watch from the 1993 Argos catalogue.

mefty
    Free Member

It’s about how the watch makes you feel. Knowing that when you’re in a meeting and pondering your decision whist others look on, they’re all reminded you’re status by your timepiece. It’s a subtle way of motivating others and creating loyalty.

Very good, but you are pissing on davidtaylforth’s parade.

stevedoc
    Free Member

A Cougar . off course my good man 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘What watch for about £1000’ is closed to new replies.