Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • What washing mashine?
  • gnarlynath
    Free Member

molgrips – I agree and find the infexibility of those machines intolerable.
    I have a Bosch thingy and fortunately it does allow you to adjust spin and temp independently but my mothers Hotpoint doesn’t.
    Am I really having this conversation?
    I do clean my bike clothes in it several times a week and it’s going strong after 6 years.
    ooo whats that thumping noise down stairs? best go and look.

Any one got any jokes to spin this thread out a bit further?

Bunnyhop

Miele for us. From comet because John Lewis wouldn’t match their prices.
    ‘Never knowingly undersold’, tosh.

I am cheered by the fact there are men dicussing washing machines.

ransos
    Free Member

AEG here. Bought because my mum’s one has lasted 20 years.

molgrips
    Free Member

The driers in washer/driers are always rubbish tho.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Too late for the OP I know, but after I dismantled our old washer drier and tried to improve it, I looked here

http://www.iseappliances.co.uk/

and also here (related to the first one IIRC)

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=191

and got the Zanussi one from John Lewis. Has been fine so far. Wanted to try the ISE one but MrsApe over ruled.

flatback
    Free Member

BEAMERS, the lg are great but if something goes wrong parts cost a lot, i have never changed a motor on lg ever, and i covered south wales for the last 8 years for them, good machines, but anything can go wrong, i sometimes work for the whateverhappens policy and it is the best in the business, last week on a lg a coin from pocket had smashed the drum and tub and water leaked out and blew board a very very expensive repair but it dont matter as whateverhappens covers everything from machine not plugged in when i call, to overloaded it and tripped a sensor, to put hand wash powder in it, and blew everything up with suds to left a spannner in your pocket and wrecked everything it covers everything, even leaving a condom in your pocket which i pull out of pump in front of customers wife who goes nuts as they dont use condoms, there is no charge
    i would def take it on your expensive lg, especially the washer,

and for everyone else lots of manufacturers free parts warrantys mean paying for the labour to get free parts hotpoint currently £106 so if you need a £1 part it costs you £106

buy a cheep washer beko’s are great and take out the whatever happens policy

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am cheered by the fact there are men dicussing washing machines.

I am cheered by the fact that there are women who know what a washing machine is. I do not live with one!

Miele here, because I am hung like a donkey.

beamers

Flatback – thanks for your feedback. In your 8 years have you ever had to replace a machine under the whateverhappens policy?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve got the LG Steam, the thing has a 10yr warranty on the motor! as for the other parts my Hiscox insurance will (more than likely) cover it as accidental damage!

deepreddave
    Free Member

Coincidentally my washer died today (been hitting it to get it started for over a year so that could be a factor:)) Bought a Miele cos of the 5 yr warranty couldn’t ‘afford’ the 10 yr models – and hoping it does what it’s tested to do which is 20yrs….. that’ll make me old enough to need a good washer to get the smell of wee out of my pants!

flatback
    Free Member

beamers, machines get replaced if parts are not available which happens with some niche makes, or machines from companys that have gone out of business so parts not available or you need something weird like a cabinet rusted through or gone out of line from being placed on un even floor or caught fire, lg are great but for example servis bearings £10 quid a pair lg £50 to £ 60 normal pump £10 lg £50 still my favs though

stevomcd
    Free Member

Just to piggyback on this since there seem to be experts around. The machine in the chalet (a Fagor) is very sick. The whole drum assembly is way out of kilter with the result that the moving parts rub on the casing (making a horrendous noise). Guessing the suspension is humped (whole thing is sitting too low). Are the suspension units repairable or is it new machine time? (since I’m guessing getting hold of replacements is going to be impossible/expensive).

Hey, it’s a washing machine conversation, but I’ve just brought it round to upgrading suspension, too much sag, etc., etc….

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I bought an Indesit washer in the sales for just under £200. 6kg tub, 1200 spin yadda yadda.

Replacing a Samsung that never really worked properly since the off.

flatback
    Free Member

stevomcd, if the legs have gone you should be able to get new, though it would be unusual, have the top springs jumped off the cabinet take the top off and look with it unplugged!!
    if its the bearings it is a sealed tub so bit of a long big strip down job

beamers

Flatback – just to be clear then, you think I should go with the cover plan?

Rich
    Free Member

I wouldn’t.

You paid extra to get a quality product that should last.

If you were going to get a cover plan, maybe you should have saved initially and got a cheaper machine that was more likely to break down, therefore more likely to need the cover plan?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yo Flatback!

Thanks a lot for that! That was indeed the problem so we’re now back to clean clothes (not to mention sheets and towels for the guests!).

If you ever fancy a cheap MTB (or winter) holiday, give us a shout! (Deduct your call-out fee!) – Mountain Bike Holidays in Sainte Foy / Les Arcs

surfer
    Free Member

Miele no question.

When we moved house, 5 years ago we inherited an old Miele dishwasher, apparently it was 20 years old then (cant confirm that!) it only packed in last year. Of course we replaced it with another Miele, also Miele washing machine.

Bunnyhop

We boringly have miele washer, dishwasher and fridge freezer.

Sandwich

Miele machine bought by my grandfather in the 60’s we threw out in 2003 when granny died. It was still going strong.
    Bosch washer drier of ours lasted 10 years and had 2 elements in that time due to the hard water.
    The current AEG washer drier is going strong after 5 years and no repairs.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘What washing mashine?’ is closed to new replies.