Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • What was your first job? (excluding paper rounds)
  • bearnecessities

Other thread just got me thinking.

Mine was working on Ice Cream counter at Macaris on Torquay Harbourside. First wage packet £122.

That was the best job ever, if only just for meeting laydeez 😀

Plus Mr Macari was a lovely man; I hope he’s still going.

Drac

First proper job?

Ambulance Cadet.

tomhoward

McDonald’s

ton

coal man. delivering miners coal and hawking door to door.

chambord
    Free Member

pot wash

northernmatt

Worked as a waiter at a hotel in Scarborough for £3.10 an hour. Usually finished work at 10:30pm then went to the pub to spend most of my wages on some good old underage drinking.

bearnecessities

First proper job?

Sorry, not very clear. First job wherever (mine was a summer job) apart from paper round (as a bit obvz for many)

njee20
    Free Member

LBS skivvy.

footflaps

When I was at 6th form I had two part time jobs, one writing SW / editing books on programming for a local distance learning college and the other pot scrubbing in a Cambridge College kitchen.

marcus7
    Free Member

Sainsburys, butcher dept….. In the days of the brown 3/4 length coat and clip on tie…

jota180
    Free Member

Worked in a wire mills from 16 (1975) as a general labourer in the stores
    Weekly wage was something like £18

sadexpunk

heavy engineering in a forge, making BIIIIG crankshafts.

Drac

Sorry, not very clear. First job wherever (mine was a summer job) apart from paper round (as a bit obvz for many)

Tricky then.

I was a beating during the season from about 11 not sure you can count that. We picked tatties during the season from when I was about 13 but that was only a few months, I was paperboy for 3 years mornings and afternoons, so that was more of a job but can’t count that. I helped with picture framing for about a year after school, weekends between paper rounds. Then for 3 month after finishing school I stacked shelves in the local co-op before I started in the NHS.

So yeah ermmm!

sandwicheater

Waiter in local pub/restaurant. Spent my wage on beer at the bar and smoking with the French chefs.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

butchers delivery boy, proper heavy cast iron bike. best school job was in a cinema with one night a week in the projection box. picked berries for a few summers, did some bar work, first proper job was on a lifeboat

breadcrumb

Milk round- £40 a week for a 15 year old wasn’t too bad in the mid nineties. IIRC worked about 5:30 till 7:00 Mon-Fri, sat was about 5:00 till 8:00. Plus a pint of milk everyday you worked.

After that I started my apprenticeship as a fabby.

takisawa2

Bricklaying on a YTS scheme.
    Perfect footing (no pun), for a career in Engineering Design.

project
    Free Member

Apprentice engineering Patternmaker in a large steeklworks making woodenm patterns to be cast in steel, iron, brass or aluminium. 14 quid a week.

Trekster

Farm work from 9/10yrs.
    Apprentice motor mech from 16 earning £5.2/6p. Earned double that working nights/weekends on the farm 😆

withersea
    Free Member

Press Officer at National Breakdown, met my future wife on day 1, got made redundant three months later!

Summer job, worked at a company that sold slaughterhouse equipment!

wwaswas

Worked at a cafe on Madeira Drive in Brighton weekends and school holidays.

£6 a day plus a couple of quid bonus if it was busy.

teasel
    Free Member

YTS scheme – a day-release college course doing B-Tec business studies as well as being trained up as technical author for the company “employing” me.

I think it was something like £27.95 a week. Slave labour…

transporter13
    Free Member

Brogue shoe sprayer for Loakes.

brocks
    Free Member

First proper job summer 1977 at local slaughterhouse now closed, £25 a week for 12 weeks, then started engineering apprenticeship for £18 a week! Very disillusioned. Was dating local butchers daughter at the time who bought from there so tried to impress!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

first proper job, chain boy on the M20 widening job in the early 1990’s

CaptJon
    Free Member

P/T at Tesco on the produce department while doing my a-levels

ratherbeintobago

Summer job – boxing computers in a factory in Inverclyde.

Proper job – PRHO (three months each of trauma & orthopaedics, hepatobiliary surgery, haematology and chest medicine).

swanny853

Winch driver (and general dogsbody) at a gliding airfield

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spent a glorious summer working in a small brewery in the middle of Salisbury Plain.

As a result, on my CV, under “Organisational skills” I can proudly claim that I have organised a pissup in a brewery. 😀

jonahtonto
    Free Member

wet end relief on a road-laying crew

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

worked at an ice cream factory, it was ace!

the machines kept breaking down, the ice cream kept flowing, i used to get covered in the stuff, and was constantly licking my ice cream soaked fingers.

one day the machine that put the lids on the plastic tubs packed up so i had to do it by hand, i quickly drew a few smiley faces in the ice cream before putting the lids on them,…i’m sure that made someones day somewhere!

My mate got sacked for travelling down to the warehouse on the conveyor!

lol,..great times.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Apprentice vehicle & plant fitter for City of Durham Council, Feb 1972. 1st pay packet £7.26 in cash.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Squaddie.

bencooper
    Free Member

Hmm, tricky – I’ve only ever had one real proper job, as in something where I turned up every morning and left every evening, and got paid at the end of the month. That was for IBM, and I lasted 8 months. But even that wasn’t really a job as they didn’t really have an actual job for me to do, I really spent 8 months going on training courses and trying to get Doom to run on an OS/390 mainframe.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wet end relief

That’s not what it sounds like, is it?

Suggsey
    Free Member

As a schoolboy Gardner for all the elderly heighbours and their friends…….I did a bloody good job too…..only downside was one old lady always wanted her massive front garden which was mud, digging over every week as she liked to see freshly turned earth……..I didn’t really think about it at the time but as a 16 year old very fit and muscular Young man I always ended up doing it in just my shorts sweating more than she was whilst she was watching me…… Bless her, I guess I was pimping myself willingly but she did pay well 😆

teasel
    Free Member

Surely men of your standing don’t need to flash a CV to procure a job, CFH, merely a handshake.

Or a quick frottage, maybe, cos I’m not sure how things work in those circles…

😉

jonahtonto
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    wet end relief
    That’s not what it sounds like, is it?

🙂 no idea, but i know someone who has that as his job title and its always made me giggle

Sundayjumper

Worked weekends & school hols in LBS. Does that count ? First job with an actual contract was junior project engineer for a small local engineering company. That was less fun, I had to get my hair cut 🙁

jag61

selling/serving petrol at 30p per Gallon continued with this as first proper job trainee civil eng .technician only paid £1500 pa not too many ‘interesting/other jobs around at the time!happy days 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘What was your first job? (excluding paper rounds)’ is closed to new replies.