Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What vaccination for Dubai and the Maldives?
  • breadcrumb

Me and the Mrs are heading out for our honeymoon in a couple of months, what vaccinations do we need?

I’ve looked on the web but it seems vague, or maybe my googling is weak?

winston_dog
    Free Member

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/asia/maldives.php

They are all just recommendations from what I can see.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Yep, nothing special needed for both destinations.

athgray
    Free Member

The missus and myself did exactly that for our honeymoon. No vaccinations required.

marthall
    Free Member

Went last year with wife and daughter. Daughter got dysentery from the airport coming back…. not nice.

Dubai and Maldives will be cleaner than anywhere, no vaccinations needed really. But Dubai airport is where India and the Far East meets West so just make sure you wash your hands before eating.

breadcrumb

Cool, cheers guys.

I’m pretty well vaccinated up, but Mrs BC has only the basic UK ones.

athgray – which resort did you go to in the Maldives? Any recommendations for both destinations?

Edit- marthall, sounds nasty, I’ll be sure to wash my hands thoroughly. Would it be overkill to get some hand sanitising gel?

marthall
    Free Member

Nah… adults are fine. Getting an 8 year old to not put their fingers in their mouth is a lot harder!

It only needs 1 or 2 of the 1000’s of daily passengers to have “Delhi belly” or some bug from Borneo and you’re knackered.

athgray
    Free Member

breadcrumb, we stayed at Oluveli resort. Good snorkelling. Resort seemed quite popular with Italians, good laugh with them. Tennis, beach volleyball, crab racing, karaoke and dolphin watching.

In Dubai we did a night time dhow river cruise with dinner, which was nice.

McHamish
    Free Member

We spent 2 weeks at the Chaaya Lagoon on Hakuraa Huraa.

I would recommend it without hesitation…rooms were great and the food was fantastic…best AI food I’ve ever had.

It’s a small hotel with 80 rooms on a 6 acre island. Some of the hotels we looked at had 350 rooms (if full that’s 700 people on a small island). At Chaaya Lagoon, we were usually on our own sat in turquoise blue water watching fish. It was quiet and peaceful (except for the group of Italians who stayed for a long weekend…you could hear them across the island and at the other end of the restaurant).

The rooms were water bungalows with a glass panel to watch the fish (there are a handful of beach bungalows too)…could be noisy at night with the water lapping underneath the bungalow though. There was a private balcony with steps down into the lagoon so the wife could sunbathe while I looked for Nemo. There was one occasion when staring at a little fish while snorkeling and I noticed a dark shape near me and crapped myself when an enormous black ray swam past.

Never been to Dubai on holiday but went there for a few days for meetings…wouldn’t go there on holiday to be honest. We ended up watching end of season football matches (I was with 3 Man U supporters) in a bar. The beach bar in the grounds of a western hotel was just full of rich young westerners. Similar to the people on Towie or Made in Chelsea. Perhaps it’s better if your on holiday.

toby1

For Dubai you just need something to protect your credit card as it’s so bloody expensive there 🙂

breadcrumb

Cheers for the info guys.

We are really looking forward to it, especially the Maldives,but Dubai should be quite interesting if not a little expensive!

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Another vote for chaaya lagoon at hakuraa huraa
    Lovely place and very peaceful. Loads of sealife and an evening stroll up and down the boardwalk is very romantic
    Water bungalows are excellent
    Small island mind so for a honeymoon ideal as there’s not a lot to do, I used to like exploring the shallows off the bungalows steps right out to the surf- saw plenty of large turtles and got close to a few big rays

Fat-boy-fat

No vaccinations here either. We stayed at what used to be the Hilton Rangali (think it’s a Conran now). Fantastic! Underwater restaurant. Eating with the fishies (Scottish Passport – what an inspiration! )

Smudger666

Wife is a travel vaccine nurse…. (Amongst other things)
    Hep a, typhoid, poss antimalarials for Maldives., check out your diptheria, tetanus and polio – no booster in last ten years, best to get one.

Just passing on her advice 🙂

Actually, her advice was phone your doctor rather than ask on a bike forum, but I know the breadth of knowledge that exists here, I’d still be phoning to see the practice nurse though.

breadcrumb

The wife rang and they seemed a bit meh about it.

She’ll ring again to get booked in though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What vaccination for Dubai and the Maldives?’ is closed to new replies.