Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What tyres to buy?
  • Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

Hi – I have been running nobby nic's 2.25 front and rear with no real problem but have just built a new longer travel bike (160mm) and they dont seem so good now…dont run to great on low pressures and was slipping all over the shop at Cwmcarn last week – Was wet but nothing to how it will be in a few months

Do i need an AM specific tyre?

I have been suggested that I should go for a Rubber Queen 2.4 on front and Race King 2.2 on the rear? Or was it a Mountain King rear???

Should i just go with Rubber Queen on Front and Rear?

Any more suggestions???

I ride pretty hard on the downs! Not worried about pavement use…etc

I weigh in around 14st7lb kitted up and have DT Swiss EX 5.10 rims front and rear!

I want a decent tyre with lots of grip so i still feel in control but one thats not gonna puncture every run obviously.

So far im looking at:

FRONT: Rubber Queen Folding 2.4
    REAR: Race King 2.2. ProTection

HELP…….

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Just had the same dilemma and ended up with maxxis minions front & rear 2.35 Dual Ply – not regretting it at all! (Sound like I ride the same stuff as you too??)

mboy
    Free Member

Do i need an AM specific tyre?

Eh?

Wasn't aware there was such a thing!

Anyway, there's loads of tyres out there that will suit your needs… Single Ply Maxxis High Rollers or Minions would be great. Bontrager Big Earl's are a good tyre that's often forgotten. Not used those Rubber Queens (V Expensive!) though have heard good things.

Depends on the bike, but would probably go for some 2.5" Maxxis single ply's, probably high rollers as they work better when it's wetter. Make sure you get a 60a on the back though otherwise it'll wear very quickly, and be very slow!

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

thanks – is there a big difference in sigle ply or double ply?

I think im gonna go for:
    FRONT Minion DHF 2.5 Supertacky
    REAR High Roller 2.35 maxxpro 60a

do i go single or double ply whats the difference?

nathan9070
    Free Member

this is a great combo you have to try it

front: maxxis highroller supertacky 42a front dual ply- dual ply for extra strengh stops it folding away.

rear: maxxis minon front single ply 60a maxxpro.

both in 2.35 i have try a lot of tyres and this the best mix of front end grip and speed 1 year on havent changed.

nathan9070
    Free Member

dont put a minion on the front put it on the back the highroller grips much better on the front and the minion dhf rolls faster so a great rear tyre

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

so are you saying the Minion DHF (Front Specific for the rear?)

nathan9070
    Free Member

yea a lot of pros and mbuk recomend this plus a lot of bike shops i did my home work it really is the best combo got them on my enduro see pics on my rebuild threads

nathan9070
    Free Member

have a highroller 60a and a minon dhf 60a dual ply in the shed not in use if your intreasted both lots of tread will have to check. have to many tyres need to clear some out but i would say buy a supertacky high roller

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

got the maxxis highroller 2.35 supertacky 42a front dual ply 26.99

Chain reaction do the minion DHF in 2.35 Single ply maxxpro 60a but they do one at 20.99 and one at 26.99 – 26.99 is folding which should i get?

nathan9070
    Free Member

i have the folding minion its a lot lighter and easy to get on and off the rim. i would go for that you dont need the dual ply in the rear.

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

these are gonna be good on a commencal meta 6 yeah? 160mm travel – although the minion is DH tyre?

Northwind

Nevegals, 2.35 stick-e on the front, 2.1 or 2.35 DTC on the back to taste. Actually give you the size advertised, and much better straightline grip than a Minion.

nathan9070
    Free Member

yea look at what the pros use they use highrollers as well.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/mountain/product/minion-f-dh-235in-10-37730

check out mbuk

nathan9070
    Free Member

yea look at what the pros use they use highrollers as well.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/mountain/product/minion-f-dh-235in-10-37730

check out mbuk

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

Right is the right:

Maxxis High Roller DH Tyre – Dual Ply
    26 x 2.35 – Super Tacky 42a

Maxxis Minion DH Front Tyre – Single Ply
    26 x 2.35 – MaxxPro 60a – Folding

26.99 each = 53.98 – Shall i go for it?

coogan
    Free Member

Can't go wrong with Minions or Highrollers. Nevegals are shit, well the pair I tried were. Nobby Nics are even worse.

nathan9070
    Free Member

i would it really is the best combo i have used. loads of front end grip but still fast rolling run them at 30psi job done.

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

Running 2.35 High Roller 42a ST front / 60a rear. Wire and single ply for both. Best tyres I've ever used without a doubt.

Running tubeless btw on a 140mm travel hardtail, but they will be going on my next full susser project.

🙂

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Raleigh Extreme or Dutch Perfect'off-road' plus Raleigh Puncture Protection tubes from cyclelife.com Even the All-Terrain from Michelin looks good This site has a huge choice of knobblies

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

nathan9070

Did manage to look what spare tyres you have Defo be interested if the pice is right?

Mark

Tyredoctor, you are trying our patience.

The rule is that trade users can respond to genuine queries from forum posters but cannot start threads that are simply to promote their own products and services. However, your constant plugging of your own products at every available opportunity is straying into spamming territory and if it continues your account is likely to be permanently blocked.

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

Raleigh products = well i wont type what i think! but think you get the idea

Xylene
    Free Member

Go against the flow try something new – Geax tyres – really happy with mine, but the rear is wearing quick.

Mike_T

Looking for a UST combo, anyone running the Minion DHF rear 2.35 as a UST tyre DPC or SPC 60a? Which way round are you guys runing this tyre?

Looks like you guys have pushed me to a High Roller LUST 2.35 up front. At last the Kenda UST 2.35 tractor tyres are going.

Mike_T

forgot to mention, my other rear roption was a 2.35 Ardent………..what do you think, Ardent or Minion DHF

slackman99
    Free Member

I'm really liking my Specialized Eskar tyres at the minute. Seems to be good grip and can be run at fairly low pressures.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What tyres to buy?’ is closed to new replies.