Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What tyres for the Southtown way this weekend?
  • tall_martin

Hi all,

I’m doing the South downs way over two days this weekend.

I’m on a hard tail and have a couple of tyre choices

High rollers ( on now and set up tubeless)

1.8 mud tyres that won’t take tubeless.

I was going with the high rollers as they are fine all round.

Now it looks like rain all weekend is it worth going for the mud tyres? They are ace in mud, but very schetchy on roots rocks or tarmac.

Cheers!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There’s very mixed forecasts for this weekend on the south coast, some sites predicting thunderstorms.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/ is currently my site of choice, which looks dry through the weekend, at least at the west side of South Downs Way.

But I’m still doing my likely biggest ride of the weekend today, hopefully before too many weekend foreigners invade the hills between Warnford and East Harting. 😉

Tiger6791

The best tyres for the Southdown Way are eBike tyres

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cyclistm
    Free Member

No knowledge of high rollers but it’s pretty slippy on the chalk up there at the moment even before any rain this weekend. I don’t think mud tyres are any grippier in these conditions so I’d stick with a standard tyre. Good luck.

ade9933
    Free Member

As above. It doesn’t get too muddy. It’s slippy and rutty chalk you want to look out for. Not too nice in the rain but it dries out quickly.

VanHalen

i`d use an XC trye. you want minimum rolling resistance. the chalky bits and few and far between.

crossmarks/larsens for me. just make sure thay are pumpoed up to a decent pressure and have a tyre boot/chunk of plastic milk bottle in case you cut one on a flint.

the rain yesterday wont have made much of a difference i recon. The path i rode nr brighton this morning had no puddles despite being really wet over winter and it lashing it down yesterday arvo

Splash-man
    Free Member

Definitely not the mud tyres. Go with what has more volume and less tread.

As mentioned above, its pretty dry now and the recent rain just dries up immediately rather than hanging around. Just means it helps keep the dust down a little.

I second the comment about the tyre boot, there are a lot of spare flints about that can rip any tyre wide open.

Where abouts are you planning to stop out of interest ?

ade9933
    Free Member

Yes! Saw tons of punctures when I did it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for the Southtown way this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.