Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What tyres for riding over a kitten
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Local woods, riding up to a log ramp that someone had built. Just hit the ramp and a kitten pops it’s head up over the top. Try to avoid it while rolling off the other side but somehow manage to first ride over its tail with my front wheel and then right over it with the back wheel. I stop and look round and the kitten darts off, seemingly unhurt. All quite odd. Anyway 2.2″ Racing Ralphs, as ineffective over kitten fur as wet roots it seems.

wwaswas

ride over its tail with my front wheel and then right over it …the kitten darts off, seemingly unhurt

I strongly suspect it was not as unhurt as you think.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well I did ride off then turn back after a few seconds and went looking for it but there was no sign of it. There was bugger all I could have done to avoid it. Only hope is that the rear wheel would have been very much unweighted and the ground very soft. Hoping it still has a few of its 9 lives left 🙁

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

A last cry for help.

kraftyone
    Free Member

Was it wearing hi-viz and appropriate lights? If not it was clearly asking for it.

legend
    Free Member

Cant believe the OP killed a kitten, then started a thread boasting about it…

medoramas
    Free Member

You probably need some sort of these… 😆

sandwicheater

Children’s faces, pfffft.
    Baby Robbins, what ever.
    Russian lady who’s seen too much, who wouldn’t.
    Kittens, YOU MONSTER!!

Harry_the_Spider

When running over an extendable dog lead once, with a small yappy-type thing on one end of it and a dog on the other, I found that Kenda Blue Grooves did an admirable job.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

What size wheels does your bike have? Could make a difference to how alive the cat is 😉

wwaswas

Maybe this is how you get to be a Cat 1 roadie?

gallowayboy

This summer, barreling along the road on the way home after a ride, a cat jumped off a wall right in front of me – no time to take evasive action. My front wheel went straight over it, midships, I felt a squirmy bump. It missed my back wheel, and I looked round to see the cat tearing off along the road and into the undergrowth. I couldn’t find it but i assumed it would die. Three weeks later the cat was back, same place, looked unharmed.

FWIW, I was running a Spesh Butcher, 2.3″, control not grid. Picked a tuft of hair of the tread pattern……….

legend
    Free Member

MarkBrewer – Member

What size wheels does your bike have? Could make a difference to how alive the cat is

Riding an Evil would also help as they come with CPSS (Cat Protection Seat Stays)

sands
    Free Member

OP – You possibly approached the ramp on the wrong ‘line’.
    I guess you weren’t using the ‘pay as you play’ line, but were on the ‘flat fee’ line.

Marin
    Free Member

Just stamp on it much more effective

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@sands – I thought the Op’s line choice souded purrrfectly acceptable to me..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I once ran over a crow whilst in a group of roadies, I was either in front or a few back but it flew up out of the hedge, went through the front wheel (16 bladed spokes), then between cranks and chainstay.

It was very very dead.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Truly cat-astrophic

and 26″ ain’t dead, but the kitten …..?

Schweiz
    Free Member

Hit a cat, in a forest, in the dark, on a fatbike, full-on, with my front wheel, at speed, running a 4.8″ Surly Bud. It ran off with no obvious impediment.

HTH, Jekyll

mintimperial

Well this has made me all sad. Poor kitten. 🙁

bearnecessities

A seagull’s wing rattled through the spokes of my front wheel once.

Feathers and a comical ‘thrrrrrrrrrrang” sound aplenty.

Good. Shits.

(#prayforkitty though)

rOcKeTdOg

Any dead kitten recipies?

scandal42
    Free Member

I’m afraid that is what cats do, even when hit by cars they will scatter seemingly unhurt and then die in agony and fear in a nearby hedge.

belugabob
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation, the first time I ever saw a live Adder was just as I ran over it on my bike – having, a nanosecond too late, realised that it wasn’t a stick after all.
    The rider behind me assured me that it slithered off into the underground without any apparent ill effects (apart from the tyre pattern along the entire length of its body)

For the record, I saw my second ever live Adder this Sunday, on the South Downs above Lewes. (Again, slithering into the undergrowth)

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I ran over a rabbit on my road bike once when it darted out from the side of the road. When I went back to see how it was it was obvious that I had broken it’s back. I despatched it with the heel of my cycling shoe to put it out of it’s misery.

belugabob
    Free Member

I ran over a rabbit on my road bike once when it darted out from the side of the road. When I went back to see how it was it was obvious that I had broken it’s back. I despatched it with the heel of my cycling shoe to put it out of it’s misery. and rode home to cook it, before it went off

zero-cool
    Free Member

You will burn in hell for all eternity for your crime

fasthaggis

OP,so the short paws made no difference,you still hit it twice .
    I don’t know how you will claw your way back from this one.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What size wheels does your bike have? Could make a difference to how alive the cat is

Was a 29er. On a 26er I’d have been able to apply more of my rad skillz and missed the cat.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I ran over a (already) dead badger on Sunday. Minion on the front, Ardent on the rear. Felt like rolling over a soft log and hardly noticed due to 650b wheels and being on the full sus.

I’m fairly sure (maybe not) that if I’d been on my 26″ wheeled hardtail it would have ended badly (or not) 🙂

If it’s not obvious it’s Friday afternoon and I’m a bit bored at work 🙂

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Was a 29er. On a 26er I’d have been able to apply more of my rad skillz and missed the cat.

I was thinking more along the lines of had the kitten died and your wheels been 650b it would be ok as it would have come alive again!

warns74
    Free Member

Purrgatory control?

fooman

In my experience you can even use slicks as long as your kittens are pre-bagged.

matt_outandabout

However a slow moving family of mummy and two baby hedgehogs do not survive a Toyota Yaris. 😯

As a colleague at the outdoor centre a few years back took 10 minutes through tears and sobbing to explain… 😆

Seems they were in a lovely line, just round a blind bend….

Northwind

warns74 – Member

Purrgatory control?

Very good. I was going to go with furrious fred but I won’t now. Miaowwnions.

bearnecessities

Contintental X-kitten.

Kryton57

mrblobby
    Free Member

They should revive the old labelling system for tyres…

Good for taking out porcupines 🙂

maxtorque

I was practicing my drop technique last week in the increasing late afternoon gloaming, and as i sent it off a cheeky 2 footer, i saw a lump in the trail where i was about to land. I thought “hmm, don’t remember a stump there before” then the “stump” looked up at me, incoming at a rate of knots in mid air, rather surprised! Turns out a rather large pheasant was occupying the same bit a trail as me. Not sure who was more startled tbh, but luckily the bird managed a hasty flap out of the way at the very last minute before he got HansDampf’d….. 😉

beano68
    Free Member

It would have grown up and probably ended up shitting on my garden anyway and scaring my tits away <<<< great crested tits ! 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for riding over a kitten’ is closed to new replies.