Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What tyres for Ford S Max
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

It’s time to change the tyres on my car. This is the first set I have had to change since I bought it. At the moment it has a mix of top end Michelin Primacy on the front mid range Toyos on the back. The Michelins are £170 each and Toyos are £132.

So S Max owners (or similar type car owners), what tyres are good value for money? I don’t mind buying top end tyres if the wear ratio is better. Any help and advice is much appreciated.

SludgeJudge

Our S-max had Continental Sport tyres which were replaced by Capitol Eco 007 (£100 each from Kwik Fit) – all four tyres were replaced. Ride is a bit softer & tyres seem quieter. No issues with wet or dry grip and they seem to be wearing OK.

porter_jamie

be very careful the tyre shop offers you the correct load rating tyre – the s max is knocking on the door of a commerical vehicle. the only way to know for sure is look at the tyre label this will state the homologated tyre sizes and rating.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a C-Max,

Had ‘Prestivo Sport’ on it first, which were OK, not the quietest, but not overly noisy, but never lost grip or seemed unduly fuel ineficient. Fronts wore in 20,000 (tracking was out, would probablyhave done another 5,000), rears in 35,000 (they werent new when i got the car though, so possibly 10k more).

Replaced with uniroyal rain experts on the front, hatefully slippery things, always understerrs at the slightest provocation.

So went for continental energy savers on the rear. Nothing really to say about them as the car understeers so I’d never know if they were working. Any fuel savings are within any errors in consistency with my driving between fill ups, but ‘in tests’ apparently they’re better.

Not had to bother with load ratings as it’s not that heavy, just picked the cheepest load rating option from kwikfit (which IIRC wasn’t the minimum for the car). But worth checking if it’s borderline.

Think I was paying ~£50-65 per tyre for 205/55-16. Sometimes worth haggling even at the national chains as whilst the price of the tyre is fixed nationaly, I found there’s leeway on the fitting/valves/disposal charges.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Typical STW! OP asks about tyres vehicle A, someone replies about vehicle B (which is quite different in size and weight) and doesn’t know if the tyres work anyway! Useful stuff! 😆

sbob
    Free Member

The Michelins are £170 each and Toyos are £132

That seems pricey, what size are you after?

petrieboy

Isn’t the smax one of the fords that’s really sensitive to tyre choice? I’m sure I remember that being a thing. If it is, be very wary of generic recommendations.

crispy
    Free Member

I just got some Hankook Ventus Prime 2s on the back on some reviews.

Seem fine so far, but I wish I’d seen the link below first…

Might be useful…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

That seems pricey, what size are you after?

Tyres at the moment are 235/45R18. 98Y rated.

Cheers for the link crispy, very useful.

lodious
    Free Member

I have just bought exactly that size from tyreleader.co.uk. I got Goodyear Eagle’s for 130quid each. Fitting is a tenner from local garage. Service was really good (3 day delivery). There are loads of other options on that site at close to 100 quid.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for Ford S Max’ is closed to new replies.