Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What tyres for a shipping container?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Okay, not tyres – but I’ve bought a shipping container and it just occurred to me that I might want something to put it on. It’s going on a concrete pad in our community garden, but would it be a good idea to chuck a paving slab under each corner to stop water buildup, or is that not a worry?

Cheers 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

Will it not rot if it is in direct contact with the ground?

gonzy
    Free Member

lifting it off the ground would be a good idea…concrete slabs or wooden planks would work. but you might need to add the same support across the middle of the container to stop the weight of whatever is stored inside from making the floor sag

cbike
    Free Member

Concrete paving slabs will crack and crush. Scaff plank off cuts are good for levelling the corners. It will not sag in middle.

bencooper
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the info, I was wondering about that – I’ll go grab some scaffold board offcuts.

maccruiskeen

If it’s a real shipping container rather that storage container then there’s probably a floor beam every 6″ practically. The floor is very rigid, sagging isn’t a risk. Just get it sitting on level corners. Chunks of ply are good a shims to adjust the level. Check the doors open and close well before the hiab diappears though as sitting on a slight twist can make them a pain to open and close

Brainflex

we used railway sleepers under ours.

andyl
    Free Member

If I remember correctly shipping containers are designed to carry the loads though the corners so any point supports under the mid span could cause damage. Maybe something like bedding it down on sand would work but that could get wet and lead to rust if it can’t drain.

I’d probably go with some concrete under the ends or sleepers but the latter might leach nasty stuff into your garden.

Northwind

Schwalbe steely dans.

vongassit
    Free Member

Mine sits on slabs at each corner, it wont need support in the middle unless you are keeping bullion in it.

mechanicaldope

unless you are keeping bullion in it

Hmm… Where are you based again?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Concrete paving slabs will crack and crush

Will they?

I know it’s not exactly the same but that’s how you support a Portakabin which although lighter to begin with can be much heavier. Put a cooncil slab down wherever a corner or crossmember meets and jobs a good’un. Then all the mice have somewhere to play.

bruneep

😕

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for a shipping container?’ is closed to new replies.