• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What Tyres for a Cotic Soul / 717 rims?
  • crustypaulus
    Free Member

What tyres should I get for my Soul? I’ve been riding Michelin XL S front and rear, 2.0’s, and they keep getting pinch flats if I run them soft enough. I mainly ride Glentress and Innerleithen XC routes, with a bit of off piste thrown in…

I’ve got Mavic 717 rims, so thinking perhaps 2.2″ is the biggest I could go? I’m after grip, control but not too much weight as the rest of the bike is reasonably pimp.

Thoughts?

a11y

I had issues with Conti Vert 2.3s on XC717s at GT, so would say you’re right to keep below a 2.2. Not got much knowledge on tyres smaller than 2.2 other than Conti Mountain King 2.2s which I ain’t impressed with.

jim
    Free Member

2.1/62a Maxxis Advantages?

jonb
    Free Member

I’ve happily run conti gravitys 2.3 down on the Quantocks. USed to regularly do the downhill runs without tyre issues.

A 2.3 conti is only 2.2″ at best anyway.

I’ve been running Pananracer Fire XC pros 2.1 since then and they’ve been good.

twohats
    Free Member

2.35 Nevegals on my 717s with no issues.

TomB

2.25 Maxxix Advantages on my 717’s, no problem and have a good, big tyre feel (bigger than other brand 2.3’s ?). Impressed so far on rocky lakes rides.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Maxxis Advantage in 2.1″ are superb tyres, just fitted a set to my Handjob and I’m loving them.

a11y

Vert 2.3 + XC717 + 40psi + GT =

IHN

I’ve been running Pananracer Fire XC pros 2.1 since then and they’ve been good.

Snap.

theboatman
    Free Member

2.35 Blue Groove and nevegal – no worries

JonEdwards
    Free Member

2.3 High Roller on the front, 2.1 Ignitor on the rear.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey. “What tyre” threads now state the frame, rim and riding venue 😀

I’d give advise but its impossible without your weight, frame geometry and spoke guage 😛

bakey

Fire XC Pro 2.1s on the Singlespeed w/ 717s

Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph 2.1s on the bouncy one w/ 717s (although I did what a11y did with the front NN at Llandegla on the downhill after the masts…)

Prefer the Schwalbes – lighter, faster rolling (but not as grippy and come up smaller than 2.1 would suggest); but the Panaracers are really good value pricewise.

HTH

MoreCashThanDash

2.1 Fire XC Pros worked fine, not quite so impressed with the 2.1 High Rollers that replaced them

crustypaulus
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, good chat!

Olly
    Free Member

a11y!
    how the frick did you manage that?
    ive run that combinaton (using various 2.3 contis) and never had even a hint of a problem!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What Tyres for a Cotic Soul / 717 rims?’ is closed to new replies.