Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What tyres???
  • ste1284
    Free Member

Hi all,

I currently lookjng at purchasing some new rubber for my meta am 26″

I mainly ride trail centres with DH thrown in. Not into riding 25 mile XC routes, so won’t be doing any real serious climbing

Looking at 2.35 width

Any recommendations???

Cheers

yacoby
    Free Member

Specialized Butchers
    I haven’t tried them but the people I know that have seem to like them to the extent that it is the next tyre that I am buying.

soulbrother99
    Free Member

I’ve used maxxis ignitors for the last two years and have never looked back very good tyre for anything that’s not super muddy so perfect for trail centres

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bontrager xr4

lardman
    Free Member

Butchers are fine, if a little thin on the sidewalls….. I pinch flatted them too often to carry on using them.

Can really beat Maxis HighRoller/Minion combo for riding ‘all over the mountain’ IMHO. Tough, and solid without being a DH specific weight.

ste1284
    Free Member

Been looking at the maxxis HR, but read mixed reviews. I’m guessing HR’er on the rear and minion up front??

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

HR front ardent rear perfect combo. Minion too draggy for rear

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Also consider Chunky Monkey front Smorgasbord rear.

yacoby
    Free Member

@lardman Were you using the Control, SX or DH?

kimbers

fr0sty125 – Member
    Also consider Chunky Monkey front Smorgasbord rear.

definitely good vfm decent tyres

mboy
    Free Member

Try the Geax Goma. Designed by the same guy that designed several legendary Maxxis treads, endorsed by Cam Zink who’s already put them to very good use so far. It’s very similar to a Maxxis Minion DHF in pattern, with slightly shallower knobs and a 50a compound. Weights are very reasonable (like 750g for the 29×2.25″ version I’m running), they seal tubeless with no effort, they roll way faster than their direct Maxxis rivals.

Really impressed by this tyre so far!

Northwind

Another fan of the Butcher control here, though I’m a lightweight, some folks have trouble with the sidewalls but I never have even while others are flatting dualplies. They are not riderproof. If there was a stickier version it’d be perfect (other’n the dh anyway!)

Bear in mind “2.35” is pretty meaningless, a Butcher 2.3 is the size of most Maxxis 2.5s.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Surprises not been mentioned already but what about Hans Dampfs?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I didn’t get on with HD they rolled well for their size but lacked grip and had floppy sidewalls.

dirtydog
    Free Member

2.5 Minion DHF Exos front and rear here, quite like the look of the new DHR2, looks like it would provide plenty of braking bite.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What tyres???’ is closed to new replies.