Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What tyre pressure for CX?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

With all this talk of CX, I’m going to give it a go.

So I run 110psi in my roadie tyres, and 25 or so in my tubeless MTB tyres.

Where do I start with my tubed clincher CX tyres?

I know it’s personal preference, but where’s a good start point. I weigh 13.5 stone, will be using 30mm Michelin Mud 2s. Want a bit of grip in the rooty bits, but avoid pinch flats.

oldgit
    Free Member

Michelin Muds here at 35 psi

simondbarnes

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

38.3!!!!!

38.6 here. You get too many pinch flats at 38.3.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Might try 38.45 then.

Cheers 🙂

bigG
    Free Member

A little bit less than,, whoooo slippy and a little more than och soft.

Judged by hand and eye rather than pressure gauge has always worked for me, and changed subject to conditions

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve run everything from 35 to 70.

I’d say start at 40 and see how much grip/give there is.

It depends on whether you are prepared to risk the occasional pinch flat or would rather have the grip.

Also I run lower pressures for racing than general riding as I can inspect the course so know if there are pinch flat opportunities – normally not many as they are muddy not rocky. General off road riding is a bit more unpredictable

doodlebug
    Free Member

25 psi / 30 psi – Never a problem.

Northwind

Around 60 here, on 32mm Vittoria Pros. But, that’s largely because I ride my cross bike as if it’s a very bad mountain bike, and so they have to survive being smacked off rocks etc.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

25 psi / 30 psi – Never a problem.

Same here, never had a pinch flat racing cross

wwaswas

Low pressures for races is probably fine, if you’re doing ‘a bit of everything’ type cross rides then ahigher pressure works better.

I tend to run 50-60psi and this is fine bouncing off roots in the woods and riding on the road to get there.

Experiment.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Depends – I ran 60psi yesterday as it was a mainly rocky ride with a couple of woody sections but I usually go lower if the ride is more wood based.

Sam

40 is a good place to start, for racing you can go a bit lower as there are rarely many opportunities to pinch flat. Don’t see how you can run 25psi not on tubulars though – unless you weigh almost nothing.

benman
    Free Member

60psi for me, kept pinching on rocky and rooty bits at 35-40psi. But then I use mine for exploring rather than racing, so terrain can be varied.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I run about 80psi in my Michelin Tracker tyres for my on/off road commute, fully loaded with 10kg of shite in my panniers. But here I’m actually going to enter a CX race!

Just stripped the mudguards and rack and other fluff off the Kaffenback, and fitted the Mich Muds. Will start at 35 psi and take it up the woods at the weekend for a try out.

Might need to video my first attempts at running mounts 😆

wwaswas

take some tips from Joey;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGAIYKTZ9w[/video]

traildog
    Free Member

I start at 40psi and then work down. Basically go as low as you dare on the course. Do a few hard practice laps to get a feel for what you can get away with on the course.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What tyre pressure for CX?’ is closed to new replies.