• This topic has 34 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What tyre lever?
  • krixmeister

Did try to search for this on forum, as assume it’s been asked before, but forum search function is blah blah blah….

Destroyed two levers and my knuckles getting some Schwalbe Ice Spiker tyres onto a set of older Stans Flow rims. There’s no way I’ll get them off with current levers if I have a flat on the trail.

With that in mind – what levers are the STW massive recommending for super tight tyres, that can also be carried on the bike (in seat pack etc)?

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

Pedros tyre levers for compact that can be carried.

MoreCashThanDash

Pedro’s here too. Never broken one, never lost one as I have the bright yellow. A set in each saddlebag and a pair in the garage tool box

scotroutes

Pedro’s.

jam-bo

Pink pedros. Had the same set for about ten years.

epicyclo

I like the Pedros too. Mainly because they’re easy to find in a bag when it’s dark.

windyg
    Free Member

Pedros or Park Tool

jk1980
    Free Member

I find the leyznne shuttle ones to be pretty good

TiRed

Topeak Shuttle are my goto for tough tubeless tyres on Stans rims. Normally I don’t need levers, but when I do, these are excellent

Northwind

Lezyne powerlevers. They won’t look like what you’re after, but the trick is that the hook is thinner than most, and just the right shape, so you need less space/less effort to shift a tyre. Big stronk levers tend to also be pretty bulky which makes the job harder.

They’re not as tough as they could be which is annoying, but then they’re about £2 so I don’t mind that I’ve broken a couple.

zippykona

I’ve broken 3 Pedro’s levers

CraigW
    Free Member

Best for fitting tight tyres is Koolstop bead jack / tyre mate or similar.
    Less likely to damage the tyre or tube or rim. Though probably a bit too big to carry in your saddlebag.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Best for fitting tight tyres is Koolstop bead jack / tyre mate or similar.
    Less likely to damage the tyre or tube or rim. Though probably a bit too big to carry in your saddlebag.

A useless tool because while it works great in your garage…..if a tires so tight you resort to using that then it has no place on a bike.

I use topeak shuttles

h4muf
    Free Member

Steel Park tool ones,No tyres struggle with those bad boys.

trumpton
    Free Member

I’ve got some cheap steel ones for dh tyres although they can mark your rims.

TiRed

My grandad used to use two steel levers they reMoved from his back surgery. The long black Topeak has the leverage. And yes a tyre so tight on the garage is going to be fun out on the road. I ditched tubeless Corsa Speeds because removing them if they failed to seal the time hit to get them off and insert a tube was huge compared with the time saved from their fantastically low rolling resistance. I’m on hand-removable GP5000s for racing now.

lunge

Park for me, had a pair beat part of 20 years and they still work fine.

supernova

Pedro’s.

scaredypants

I’ve a long alu (maybe steel?) lever, branded Intense.

Had it ages and always carry it so clearly not easy to snap.

I use that and any plastic one, preferably with a spoke hook – I have some of the little park ones so it’s often one of those

CraigW
    Free Member

A useless tool because while it works great in your garage…..if a tires so tight you resort to using that then it has no place on a bike.

Tyres are often tough to fit when new. After they have been on the wheel for a while, it gets easier. So less tools required to refit when out and about.

TiRed

Tyres are often tough to fit when new. After they have been on the wheel for a while

Have you ever tried to remove a Corsa Speed? Mine was so tight it warped the carbon disc cover on my HED wheel. HED replaced it under warranty!

And yes I had to use an Inner tube one evening after I rode over some glass on the way to a race.

seosamh77
    Free Member

null

TiRed

Just removed a wire beaded 406 durano from my trike after a puncture a couple of weeks ago. Tested the Parks. No joy. Same with the Pedros and the Continentals. Finally after much cursing and a damaged wrist, the Topeak came good. Was an absolute nightmare to put back on too. Really really tight.

Clearly some of you have not tried some of the hardest tyre bead combinations. And no wire beads won’t stretch. I’d have liked Kevlar, but none in 406.

Now to nurse that wrist (it has a plate and 12 acres holding it together). And order some more. shuttles so I can carry one set on the tool pod and keep another set at home!

gallowayboy

I’ve broken 3 pedros levers recently, struggling with heavy carcass tyres on Hope DH rims (my sons not mine). I think you should get pedros replaced free if they break mind.
    However – the Crank Bros fancy looking thing below
    https://www.merlincycles.com/crank-brothers-speedier-tyre-lever-100721.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Workshop+Tools&ucpo=39659&gclid=CjwKCAiA8ejuBRAaEiwAn-iJ3jG4ecHO1Obzz7cCVhr1NUbX-BT8wh8dvnRkDMICSDtMMJUN0RShtRoCNf0QAvD_BwE
    has worked really well despite looking weedy. Pretty good at getting the tyre on as well.

z1ppy

Pedro’s, IME you only break them by using them stupidly.. and yes I’ve broken one & even then their so cheap it hardly matters.

anyamal
    Free Member

Lezyne XLs

Never broke one, always hooks well which i can’t say about the park or pedros ones. It even does the cushcore the brute way. BEST. LEVER. EVER.

nike5
    Free Member

I agree with z1ppy above, if you’re breaking levers, that sounds like your technique for removing tyres needs looking at (you should never need them to put tyres back on).

Take the tyre completely off the wheel, and start again.

When putting tyre onto wheel. The first side/rimbead is always relatively easy to put onto wheel. 

Think about it, both sides should be equally easy – the circumferences are the same.

Yet think first side, is easiest, because it’s easier to get the tyre bead, into the well of rim (middle section).

If you look at the profile of a tyre rim, it’s like you holding two fingers in the air (looks like  ‘ V ‘ )
    The circumference of wheel from your finger nails ( two tops of ‘ v ‘ ie the hooks ) is bigger.Than the bit between fingers ( middle/lowest point of the ‘ v ‘ ie the well of the rim).

The tyre bead, rests on the hooks of the wheel rim ( ie the top of the ‘ v ‘ ).

When taking a tyre off, 
    – make sure there’s no air in innertube,
    – run thumb around circumference, pushing tyre bead off hooks, into the well/middle of the rim (into the smaller circumference of the wheel, to give you some slack)
    – hook all three levers under tyre bead, and then lever them over rim ‘at the same time’
    (doing one, and then hooking it over the spoke, just takes up the slack, making it difficult to lever the other two). There’s a knack to levering two with one hand.

(also, I find wider profile tyres, easier to fit (ie 25’s easier than 23’s). Don’t know if this is because smaller sidewalls are relatively stiffer?)

TiRed

you should never need them to put tyres back on

i can supply plenty of tyre rim combinations where this is simply not true. I’ve had to use the levers to put the first side on occasionally. And I can normally mount tubeless road tyres on rims without levers. Vitoria Corsa Speeds are good examples of these devils.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Schwalbe blue flat ones.

Like northwinds suggestion very thin flat hook. They are really flat to so play nice in a pocket.

I buy them all the time as I keep giving them away.

I agree wit TiRed. Vision 30 wheels… Any tyre… So tight they ripped the rubber of a tyre bead before I managed to get them on.

krixmeister

Yeah – there are definitely tire and rim combinations that require levers. Based on above input plus my own painful experiences to date I’m going for the Crank Bros Speedier levers – they will fit my seat pack at least, and I don’t think Pedros levers will give me the leverage my wimpy hands need. Will report back on experiences.

TiRed

Problem I found with the crank brothers tool is that when the tyres are tight enough to need it, I want another leverage point to ease the tyre off, so a second lever. Thin and strong with a modest hook is what works for me. Length. For leverage. And sometimes you basically have to throw in the towel. I switched from Corsa Speeds for that reason. Absolutely amazing fast tyres. And I use them in circuit races now, but never on the road.

Non-tubeless GP4/5000s are a pleasure.

natrix
    Free Member

There is a technique for tight tyres that utilises two old fashioned toe clip straps,

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of topeak shuttle and pedros, both pretty good but if it’s a super tough tyre the topeak wins just because the tips are better for getting under the tyre but the pedros is pretty good at then hooking on to a spoke.

fossy

Pedro’s or Decathlon’s Btwin levers. PS did the OP talc the tyre first – my Ice spikers go on by hand on my Mavic rims.

PS Are you telling us the fun weather is on the way – blooming damp and muddy at present.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What tyre lever?’ is closed to new replies.