Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What type of SUP for waves?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Hi all.

After surfing (badly) for years in N Devon, I’m now thinking about getting a SUP to add to the fun.

I’m not at all interested in paddling round a lake, but want to use it in the waves at places like Saunton.

I’m not sure inflatable ones would cut it in the surf (unless someone points out I’m wrong) so what kind of length/width/fin set up should I be looking at?

Cheers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No! Inflatables will not cut it.. you got that bit right.

Not getting personal but consider what you weight and your ability as two main critical factors before buying a Wave SUP.

If you are say ITRO 85-95k early intermediate then a 9’2 x 32” thruster will be good. Work downwards on weight and sub 9’x 29” is going to be flicky. Work upwards of weight and ability is on the larger scale and 9’8×33” or a 10’x32 long board would suit.

I suggest you pop down to Staunton one day and go ask similar weight riders and abilities what they are riding, they’re a friendly bunch so no problems..

Brands? Yeah, well I have my own thoughts on what you should buy.. but if you have the cash and want new then Redwoodpaddle (no, not Red Paddle) they do a great range in all sizes for €600- €700 and I can put you in touch with my mate whose the Brand Ambassador if you like.

Other than that S/H is a good place to be, accept a few dings and a few yrs old and all should be fine.

Alloy paddles are heavy and cheap and adjustable, £60-£70 ish, carbon fixed are about £250.

Enjoy, wave SUP is awesome.

jam-bo

If you surf badly on a surfboard, what makes you think you’ll surf better on a SUP? 😉

nedrapier

Inflatables will not cut it..

George Greenough got on OK!

regenesis
    Free Member

Two Bare Feet make inflatables specific for waves

choppersquad
    Free Member

When I say ‘badly’ I can stand up and surf on my mal, so probably not as bad as some. I also enjoy a bit of a play on my waveski when I can, though you can never have too many toys for the water can you?

Would probably be looking at south of £750 but not fussed on new or second hand.

Weight wise…..80kg.

Thanks for the advice so far.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

George Greenough got on OK!

I spent a bitbof time time with him in the late 80s. Top bloke. A totally different view on tech. His camera platform wibdsurfing rigs were insane. As were his shark attack stories – spoiler, he attcked them.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Here is the link to that company I mentioned earlier ^^

https://redwoodpaddle.com/gb/

winston
    Free Member

I’ve always been a big fan of Loco wave sups – The Inca has a mast track too for double the fun

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah yes Jo at Loco is awesome.

And his boards are really cheap and fabulous quality.

https://locosurfing.com

bugcab
    Free Member

Try a Starboard widepoint, good shape and decent volume till you get steady on your feet in the chop. As they have been around for years should be able to get a good second hand one you could sell on when you progress to something with less volume. I love my hypernut, great in all conditions (that I am good enough to ride in) but you would end up going too big if you got it as a first sup.  Gonna try a Jimmy Lewis when I get the chance. Pick up a paddle and catch more waves…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What type of SUP for waves?’ is closed to new replies.