• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by jeffl.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What type of smart TV OS?
  • greyspoke
    Free Member

We are replacing our other TV (a cathode-ray tube one) with a modern model. Leaving aside the actual screen technology, there appear to be different OS types – manufacturer’s own, Android, Roku (probably others). We also have a old-ish Sony smart TV, but it appears things have moved on a bit…

Are Android or Roku worth having? Or will most manufacturers systems be OK?

We don’t need anything too fancy I guess, I am assuming they will all do accessing free-to-air channels, BBC iPlayer and its equivalents, Netflix, Youtube etc. But I would like access to a decent web browser with the option of plugging in a keyboard/ controlling from a device other than a crappy remote in some way (but not necessarily casting from that device, if you see what I mean).

bri-72

New telly here for first time in a decade. Samsung and just seems to work well for smart stuff. Leaps and bounds from 10yo Sony and reliance on plugged in chrome cast etc.

How long old TVs are supported is the unknown I guess. Will it be like phones and Samsung stop updating os for our model 4 years on? Forcing upgrades. Hope not, another 10years would be good.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m finding my Samsung one very good (Tizen?), especially compared with the newer Panasonic my mum’s got. I’ve never used the web browser and wouldn’t even attempt to without a keyboard.
    I doubt any of the Android implementations are generic enough to have updates beyond the manufacturer’s support period, whatever that happens to be.

nickjb
    Free Member

Pretty happy with our Samsung smart TV. It does the basics well, iPlayer, YouTube, etc. There’s an app so you can control it from a phone. That gives a few more options. Nothing fancy but does the job. Web browser is ok. You can use the phone as a mouse pad or type on the keyboard.

richardkennerley

I just bought a “refurbed” LG from eBay. It’s basically new and unused, last year’s model. The OS seems fine, much like any other I’ve seen really, but the remote control has a Netflix button and an Amazon prime button. Shame, it didn’t have an iplayer button as well, but you can’t have everything! Also got voice control via Alexa if that’s your bag.

scotroutes

Yeah, we just bought a LG. OS works fine. Remote has a pointer/mouse which is easier to use than the normal pad buttons. Also has Google Assistant built in.

FuzzyWuzzy

The current LG WebOS works well IMO – I don’t often need to use it but the web browser is usable. A few years back I had a Samsung and it’s OS wasn’t as slick but I imagine it’s improved a lot since.

Rio

Will it be like phones and Samsung stop updating os for our model 4 years on?

4 years support on a TV OS? I’d say that’s a bit on the optimistic side. Buy the TV for the picture, not the “smart” features, which may stop working very quickly. We bought a new model of a Sony TV running Android TV last year because the picture quality was good enough to made me break my rule of never buying anything with Android in it. True to form apparently that’s now obsolete and newer models have “Google TV”. I’m expecting the apps to gradually fail as new versions are brought out that only run on the latest OS, and that our current environment with no external boxes is a freak that will never be repeated and in future we’ll be running an out of date version of Android with no security patches on an internet connected device. What could possibly go wrong.

verses

I’ve got a Sony with Android built in, pleased with it so far.

If the apps become obscelete, it’s also got a Chromecast built in, so we can fall-back on that if needs be.

mrmoofo

I bought and LG OLED TV – and I loved the OS, the remote etc …
    Sham eat could hang onto a wifi signal, nor a hard wired internet connection – hence rendering the smart bit useless.
    I had the original one, and a replacement – both were hopeless.
    The final replacement – a Sony, has a clunky OS, a cheap remote – but everything works

desperatebicycle

Once I’d followed instructions on YouTube as to how to get rid of the adverts, very happy with the Samsung Smart functions

stumpy01

The price of the TV will affect the ‘feel’ of the OS in the TV.

Our TV is a mid-range LG that must be 4 years old now. The OS is fine, but certain things feel a bit laggy – e.g, the guide takes several seconds to load, whereas our old Humax Box managed to do this instantly. It also didn’t come with the ‘magic remote’ – I think it was a bit too cheap to be supplied with that. I bought one as it makes it much more easy to navigate.

My parents have just bought a 32″ LG TV. It runs a new version of the OS we have and is largely recognisable, but it really runs very slowly. It was cheap for a TV – £230 or so, so corners have obviously been cut. But, it’s slow to the point where my parents think they haven’t pressed the button on the remote & start stabbing at it, when really it’s just taking ages to respond.

I like the LG OS, but would prefer it if the guide was faster. I’d definitely want to try my next TV out before buying.
    I did ask in Currys if we could try the remotes to see how easy to use the various operating systems are, but was told this wasn’t possible because ‘there is no aerial connected’. When I told the guy that I don’t care about a TV signal, I just want to mess about with the menus etc. he just repeated the point & said no. I would have gone elsewhere, but my parents wanted a TV there & then.

Jakester
    Free Member

We have a newish Samsung with Tizen, their own OS.

It’s okay – a bit laggy, but the ‘smart remote’ it came with which allows the use of voice assistants (Alexa, Google etc) is so glitchy it’s infuriating. Constantly disconnecting and trying to reconnect, which of course then flashes up a huge warning message over whatever you’re trying to watch, every ten seconds.

In the end we had to reboot the TV without the smart remote and it’s fine (came with a dumb (normal)) remote, though of course you now can’t use those features. The ‘normal’ remote does appear to have been made for Lilliputian hands, however – I’m forever mashing the wrong buttons.

Jakester
    Free Member

desperatebicycle

Once I’d followed instructions on YouTube as to how to get rid of the adverts, very happy with the Samsung Smart functions

I did this but they came back – how’d you manage to get rid of them for good?

Pieface

We bought a Sony Bravia a few years ago which is Android and the Sony flavour of Android has had a few flakey moments, though it seems to have sorted itself out now. It used to be a real PITA after our Plusnet Internet dropped the connection (re-boot router) but seems to be Ok now we’ve changed Internet provider. We have Android on 2 other TVs and apart from the different interfaces to Android provided by the manufacturer (Sony, LG and Samsung), its pretty much fine. The last one we bought was a Samsung ‘Smart Monitor’ which is basically the same as the others but with no built-in Tuner, and I think that it has the best interface and picture.

desperatebicycle

I did this but they came back – how’d you manage to get rid of them for good?

I believe they did come back on mine too! But I got rid of them again – something to do with the blue menu icon, or maybe the Privacy settings… I’ve locked it with a PIN. Can’t remember exactly, sorry!

Pieface

With regards to OS support we’ve had our SOny for 5 years and there’s no indication the OS is no longer supported, you can always get a Now TV box or similar and run that in through HDMI

greyspoke
    Free Member

Wow thanks for the responses. Sounds like the major makes are all OK and would suit us OS-wise.

sharkbait
    Free Member

LG from late last year here – like it a lot but the guide is slow* ☹️
    I also have a Chromecast with Google TV and tbh it’s brilliant.
    Great upgrade for a TV that still works but is lacking in the smart bit.

Samsung have just dropped tizen as the OS for their watches and changing to Android Wear OS – don’t know if this will also happen to their TV OS though.

* Not much of an issue though as I barely watch live TV any more.

CountZero

It’s virtually impossible to buy a telly that hasn’t got some sort of ‘smart’ crap built into it, that’s probably a year or so out of date and will never get an update worth a damn from the manufacture, like most Android phones.
    If I ever have to replace my 15 yo Bravia I’ll do everything I can to avoid using the installed OS, because my Mac Mini will be plugged into it for a monitor, and that’ll supply all the smarts I need – I don’t do Netflix, Amazon Prime, or AppleTV, my Sky Q box does all I want.

jeffl

As others have said it’s not just the OS but the spec of the TV. We have a Samsung TV and so do the parent’s. Similar generation but there’s is a lower spec. Our EPG is fine but theirs is really laggy, even though they run the same OS.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What type of smart TV OS?’ is closed to new replies.