Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What type of pattern is this?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I quite like the look of the Red Bull F1 car’s testing design – they call it “bar code” or “camouflage”

I’m looking for a vector pattern to try to replicate it for something else but struggling to find similar – it may of course be that there’s nothing out there but you know it’s the internet – it’s got everything! 😉

Any suggestions of what you’d call it (or where I might find it)?

LeeW

I’ve heard it referred to as camera camo before.

Pyro

Look up ‘Dazzle Camouflage’, maybe?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Disruptive monotone camouflage would be my bet!

Stoner
    Free Member

it’s to keep the horse flies off. Learning from zebras innit.

john_drummer
    Free Member

dazzle or disruptive camouflage. Was used quite spectacularly on warships during the war </uncle albert>

bearnecessities

^
    Worst.
    Transformer.
    Ever.

joat

“Look! Just aim at the big F Off stripy thing”

CountZero

At a range of several miles, the big stripy thing doesn’t look like a big stripy thing, which is the point of the disruptive or ‘dazzle’ camo.
    All camo is disruptive pattern, colour breaks up the human outline and blends it into the background scenery.
    Zebra blur into a dusty brown colour at a distance, blending them into the savannah, and the dazzle skin used on car prototypes makes it almost impossible for journo’s to sus out new design features like amended aerodynamic wings and panels.
    Trying to judge the range of something painted like this optically is very difficult:

Once radar gets fitted to ships it becomes redundant; ‘right, fire at that bloody great thing like a block of flats coming over the horizon!’

TheDTs
    Free Member

Like this?
    shutterstock

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Knew I could count on you 🙂

adi66
    Free Member

We use it on our cars at work, Jaguar Landrover . It very hard to photoshop off a panel / surface too 😉 and hides ll the “form” below it. And in reflective form its AMAZING when a pic is taken with a flash !!! 😉

Spot the range rover

Spot the jaguar

The “dazzle” cameo from the ships was actually to prevent a U boat captain / attacker from being able to make out what bit is the front of the bow, what is the side, a gun etc…. As the pic above shows it does work.

…. It might also look good on fat bike rims, and the top of Urge Enduromatic Helmets ! Lol

codybrennan
    Free Member

….and I’ll just shove this little reference in here:

joat

Yeah, sorry, I was being a bit flippant. Obviously targeting wouldn’t have been from the photo’s point of view. It’s very clever and even with knowing there’s one ship, it’s still hard to work out if there’s more or not.

JEngledow
    Free Member

We use it on our cars at work, Jaguar Landrover

You use it a lot too, I see bloody hundreds* of black and white jags and Landrovers on my commute to Warwick!!

*possibly a slight exaggeration 😉

adi66
    Free Member

And my current favourite cameo we use !!!

…. What can you see 😉

Fun Cammo

adi66
    Free Member

You use it a lot too, I see bloody hundreds* of black and white jags and Landrovers on my commute to Warwick!!

gotta keep the new stuff under cover fella …. Things aren’t always as they seem 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

*cough*

adi66
    Free Member

And what “we” did here with cammo was funny, cheeky and lever !

Fooled you

maccruiskeen

It was actually aim at where the stripy thing is going not where it is – you had to send your torpedo or artillery or whatever on a trajectory to arrive at the same time and place as where the ship was travelling to – ,the job of the camouflage was to upset efforts at range finding as it was difficult to gauge if the ship was moving parallel, towards or away from you .

TheDTs
    Free Member

We once got asked to print and wrap a hi-lux with real tree camo. Pointed out to the customer it could have safety & insurance implications!

kayak23

JEngledow – Member
    We use it on our cars at work, Jaguar Landrover

Me too. Some of them seemingly wrapped in bin liners. Saw a massive range rover towing a trailer about Warwick the other day wrapped up in bin liners.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What type of pattern is this?’ is closed to new replies.