Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What Tubeless Wheels?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Looking at the XM819s, but was wondering if there were any others around that price, but maybe a bit lighter?

convert

Stans Flows – lighter, wider and still pretty tough. You need a bit of stans yellow tape over the spoke holes but they are still a tubless ready rim.

markyd

819s are bomb proof but a bit narrow (and hence not great with tyres over 2.1). I love the 819s (I have 3 sets) but quite fancy a set of flow rims. 819s aren’t light (not XC Race), but are narrow (al la XC race)

martinhall
    Free Member

Stans Flows all the way. Been using them for nearly 2 years. No dinks, dents or wobbles. Fantastic

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve had a set of stans flows for about 2 years as well. Great rims. If I ever need to replace them, I may get arches next time, just to save a bit of weight.

RealMan
    Free Member

What about Olympics and 355s? I dont think I really need a massivly strong wheel, I only weigh 8.5 stone. Was only looking at the 819s because they were tubeless.

markyd

355s or Arch if you want light. at 8.5 st I’d go 355.

jonb
    Free Member

Err you can go over 2.1 with the 819 easily enough. Plenty of people run 2.3+ tyres in them. I have the narrower 717 and that fine with 2.3″ tyres so the wider rim will be fine too.
    Mavic measure their rims differently. They quote the internal width not the total width. That is why they appear small. the 819 is comparable to the DT5.1 IIRC.

Anyway, alternatives are Hope Hoops with flow rims or 355 depending on whether you think the 819 is too strong/weak. Unfortunately the Arch isn’t available as a hoop as that would be ideal.

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah, the stans 355 does look pretty good. I’m thinking of putting them together with dt comp spokes and a hope pro II 20mm thru axle.

This may sound like a really dumb question, but what are hope hoops? Are they just wheels built with a hope pro II hub?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Until recently i would have said 819’s, but very impressed with my XT wheelset (m775). Seals easily, light, strong, all you could ask. And they do the bombproof 776 set if you want to size up.

RealMan
    Free Member

Just did a search for them, and they look pretty good. But not sure about shimano hubs..

convert

Hope Hoops are factory built wheelsets by Hope using their own hubs, DT spokes (although that might be changing) and some of the best rims arounds (lots of choice). I was going to buy the individual components and build up myself but they were some much cheaper to buy complete.

RealMan
    Free Member

Ah ok, thanks.

Think I’ll do some pricing up and see how the XT wheelset comes up against hope hoops with stans 355.

convert

If going for the Hoops, either see if your LBS will do you them cheap – got mine at a great price from my LBS or from http://www.wheelpro.co.uk who is a top chap and you get a bit of personal service.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Another vote for XTs (M775). I’ve had a pair on my hardtail for two years and many hundreds of miles over all kinds of terrain, racing etc. and I’ve only just noticed a very slight wobble on the back which will mean the spoke key gets dusted off.

The rear hub developed a bit of play last week but it’s very easy to service with a 17mm cone spanner and two 5mm allen keys. Bearings were in good nick inside, grease was clean and the cones were showing no signs of pitting. Quick tighten and it’s all as good as new again.

doug_basqueMTB.com

819’s with 2.35 no sweat at all here. Loads of mates ride 2.5’s on them without any issues and the tyre profile looks good to me.

Netdonkey

I was looking at building a set with XT and Stans olympics 6 months ago which my LBS advised was a good package. Since then Hope have brought out a hope 2 355 combo with DT spokes for £285 rrp. Ordering them tomorrow. A compromise on the rim but better hubs in my opinion.

ScotlandTheScared

I got the stans 355 hope hoops. Been riding them for a few months now – great wheels. I am about 12 stone and ride quite hard on my steel hardtail – and the wheels are perfectly happy and nice and light :). And they are great value. I think the normal price is around £285, but I got them for £250 cos my LBS was nice and friendly. Easy to make tubless with the stans kit although I havent got round to actually bothering with tubless yet.

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.5 Big Earl ‘ghetto’ tubeless on my 819s and it’s fine. If you have the PSI really low (20 or less) you can feel it rolling about a bit, but I think that would probably happen whatever the width of the tire.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I’ve got 355s built on Goldtec hubs. Nice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What Tubeless Wheels?’ is closed to new replies.