• This topic has 65 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • What training are you doing? (Not necessarily bike related)
  • senorj

Cycling. No turbo, brrr.Entered the dyfi after missing it for a few years plus my mate wants to do a fred Whitton a few days after!So I’m doing as many miles as possible,with variable efforts . I like 5 days on , 2 off, 4 days on,1 off.
    Supplemented by some Cumbrian yoga, which includes lots of stretching ,leg raises , very light loose weights and some planks etc.Plus a few brisk walks- my knees can’t cope with running. I wish.
    Today I’m 2 into the 4 and have a tight thigh . Zut allors

DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve joined a gig rowing team and am mixing Ergo sessions with Zwift in the week with long mtb rides and rowing at weekends.

lucasshmucas

5 day Bigger, Leaner, Stronger routine. I’m really enjoying it but am building up the deadlift, squat and bench press very cautiously as I have never practised them regularly. I finish each workout with 2 x 20s max efforts on the rowing machine. I’m only 2 weeks in so far, so early days.

nostrils
    Free Member

I did check and couldn’t find any lockdown related fitness threads so I thought I’d resurrect this one now that the majority of us are stuck at home trying to maintain fitness. It took me a while to adjust to working out at home, but I am now training consistently and really enjoying it.

Mainly doing bodyweight exercises with resistance bands and kettle bell stuff. Bit of running and skipping too. I got an agility ladder for Christmas and what a great piece of kit that has turned out to be be, very versatile.

Couple of questions, when doing pullups, I am feeling a slight pull in my hamstrings and glutes, is this normal?

Also, trying to perform overhead squats with a resistance band but feel very off balance, I don’t think I am able to rotate my shoulders back far enough, any ideas?

Cheers,

Nostrils.

piemonster

@DavidB

I think I need a photo of the boat 👍

Weights, cycling (Zwift) and running are keeping me ticking over.

No boats sadly

lunge

Running, and lots of it for me. 55 miles last week, it’ll be similar this week.
    Doing a bit of body weight work too, but not lots.
    The running adds structure to my day and gives me a goal, and right now that’s really important.

Duggan

3 running sessions a week- 2 x interval sessions and a long run
    3 home workouts a week all just bodyweight exercises at the minute
    1 day off at the weekend for a hangover

I joined a gym in February as usually before that I only ever ran or cycled. They’ve moved everything online after the shutdown and are sending members video instructions of various bodyweight workouts which I’m finding pretty interesting- wish I’d started doing this stuff before

Got some kettlebells and dumbells on the way but tbh it seems like there’s a ton of exercises you can do without needing any kit at all.

I’m studying in my spare time at the minute so no cycling (or even turbo) but will pick that up again in June hopefully.

footflaps

Quite a lot of road cycling (300km last week), making the most of the car free roads. Weights at home 3x a week, one session with my normal PT via Zoom, which works pretty well; he’s running at 2/3 normal hours per week all via Zoom.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Also, trying to perform overhead squats with a resistance band but feel very off balance, I don’t think I am able to rotate my shoulders back far enough, any ideas?

If you are doing it with a bar, I seem to remember it should be over the crown of your head. If you’re not balanced in the squat it could be a few reasons, but for your average office worker/cyclist, thoracic flexibility is a big issue, along with hip flexors now allowing you the in the right position.

Could also try raising you heels ever so slightly with a couple of slim books to mimic wearing lifters.

In terms of training at the moment, mine has gone through the roof – perks of working from home all the time currently. Been running with the dog every morning, a lunchtime weights/WOD every other day & lots of bike riding.

A month of running however has brought back my patella tendonitis with a vengance however, so replacing that with a morning yoga & rehab session for the next couple of weeks. My other half is running the dog instead!

Gunz
    Free Member

I started the body weight routine linked below a month before this all kicked off and I’m really enjoying it. Having started with 2 sets of 3 rubbish pull ups, I’m now doing 3 sets of six and increasing. It’s good to see concrete results.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/2014/01/basic-routine-infographic-poster.html

Crag
    Free Member

I thought it would be a good idea to do 300 push ups a day for a month. On day 8 and starting to think the idea wasn’t so great after all…….

wonnyj
    Free Member

Cycling on empty local roads and trails
    Some light weights, like 20 min workout for weight loss with lots of light rep circuits.
    A bit of core, including elements of Nino’s most recent video showing the intense stuff he does: https://youtu.be/X-L3HgyDRPg

13thfloormonk

Still trying to figure out what I can actually do!

Still in rehab after lower back surgery in December, was doing OK at gym, lots of cycle specific free weight stuff and some machines at physio’s suggestion, but just seem to have developed tendonitis around my tailbone which isn’t going away.

I think it’s all to do with tension and muscles not relaxing, so am currently just sticking to a routine trying to relax my pelvic muscles a bit! Trying to do as many short easy bike rides as I can fit around working from home and looking after a toddler, can’t tell if cycling helps the lower back/pelvic muscle tension or not.

No strengthening or turbo in the immediate future, dreams of a triumphant return to the CX course in October slowly ebbing away…

jim25

I’ve started the one punch workout. All basic body weight stuff that can be done at home. I do it Monday, Wednesday and Friday atm not everyday….!

nostrils
    Free Member

If you are doing it with a bar, I seem to remember it should be over the crown of your head. If you’re not balanced in the squat it could be a few reasons, but for your average office worker/cyclist, thoracic flexibility is a big issue, along with hip flexors now allowing you the in the right position.

Thanks for that, I have been doing some mobility drills and have seen some improvement. Can almost squat to parallel with my arms above my head now, I’ll keep working on it.

Training for today consisted of 5 x 5 strict form pullups, 3 mins rest between each set.

Followed by 10 x 8 overhead press with medium/heavy resistance band.

Then down the local field to run 2 x 250m sprints.

jimster01

I’m out riding on the road a lot ATM, the roads are quieter around here so I’m making the most of it.

The “One Punch” workout sounds good, have a customer I’d like to use that on most days. 😊

footflaps

I spent ages working up to a BW OH squat some years back:

Recently started again after a few years off, found I’d lost a lot of external rotation in my shoulders and even holding a 20 kg bar overhead was a struggle. My Coach/PT had me do a load of band assisted stretches to improve it.

Now back up to 45kg – wrists seem to be the limiting factor, still not happy about holding that much weight. Not sure how far I’ll get this time round, might try and get BW again.

grahamt1980

I have been lazy recently, mainly just sitting on a yoga ball while working from home, although 6 hrs a day is making my core ache.
    Been doing some medicine ball work too and some snowboard balance training need to do some climbing and body weight work though really.
    Just need to find motivation

Spud

Finally got the road bike out after being in its bag since last July, although it is on the turbo so doing GCN sessions, getting back to running more after leg break in December. Also kettlebell sessions, weights and other conditioning exercises. Trying to shed the weight gained when laid up and get my fitness back for the rugby season, whenever that will be.

nostrils
    Free Member

Very impressive footflaps

footflaps

Some OH Squat tips..

sirromj

Questions for people doing hundreds of press ups a day:

Why?
    Isn’t it just a recipe for tendonitis?
    Are you doing an equivalent number of pulling exercises to balance it out?
    Does your chest hit the floor & your arms fully straighten?
    Do you not know Jeff Cavalear from Athlean-X?

I only ask because I don’t understand it. If I attempted to do 100 push ups a day for a month I’m confident my elbows would be **** within a 3 days, wrists and shoulders wouldn’t be too enamoured with me either.

I go out on my street/trials bike 3-4 days a week, half hour to an hour each time. Stretching/yoga/low intensity bodyweight exercise fits inbetween. Bought some resistance bands to assist with dips & pull ups (currently struggle to do 3 pull ups and and range of motion on dips isn’t good). Contemplating attempting a 5k walk/jog this morning. I only ever run while chasing my 3yr old on his balance bike, so not used to sustained jog/run, and have had shin splints in past.

footflaps

Isn’t it just a recipe for tendonitis?

Any spike in load is a recipe for tendonitis, but some people will be fine, others completely crippled by it; genetics and training history.

toby1

Per week;
    1* 10k
    1* 5k
    2-3 25(ish)k bike rides usually flat out
    2* circuits in the garden

I’d usually ride 15 miles a day commuting plus 2 gym sessions and a 5k, so it’s not disproportionate. I am missing the free weights at the gym though, resistance bands are ok, but they are no 90-100kg deadlift equivalent.

chrisyork

I’ve decided that because I can work from home that I’m taking the opportunity to get fitter and leaner, always started doing weights then just stopped so now doing Yoga with the missus and then my own kettlebell workout. Only in the first week so early days yet but just doing it gradually because rushing and going too full on just damages a body that’s not ready for it

hugo
    Free Member

I’m lucky enough to have installed a weights gym in the garden so have been doing lots of….weights.

Lots of time at home so have put on a bit of muscle and happy about it.

It’s a great opportunity for people to do some resistance training, be it weights, bands, kettlebells, bodyweight. Get some whey protein in, do these work and get strong.

Track your results, see improvement, and enjoy.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘What training are you doing? (Not necessarily bike related)’ is closed to new replies.