Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What trails are currently ridable in central Britain?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Got next week off and were planning to do a few days in Glentress, but the cross country skiing report that someone linked to suggests that it won’t really be any good for cycling at present.
    We’ll be mainly based near Haltwhistle* for the week as a whole but are happy to drive somewhere else for a few days biking. So do any of you know which of the following are snowbound:
    Dalby
    Hamsterley
    Kielder
    Whinlatter
    Ae
    Innerliethen
    Glentress

I’ve mentioned trail centres only as it’s probably easier to get conditions info, but if anyone has any top quality routes they have done recently which happen to be free from snow then please let me know too:
    Hexham Common.
    Maybe those bald hills on the right as you drive up the M6 past the Lake District have been wind blown enough (Howgills?)

* Haltwhistle – centre of Britain apparently

ahsat

Waiting for update on Hamsterley but looks like its still snow bound. Dalby is clear based on Horas report but it will take you ages from Haltwhistle (probably 3.5hours). From what i can see the Pennies around Blanchland etc still look to have a reasonable amount of snow on them. I might go up and investigate later. Glentress also looks to still be snowy. Be interested in Mabie though guessing as its on the west coast its got a battering.

grum
    Free Member

Gisburn is ok too apparently.

ahsat

From web: The car park at Mabie is currently closed and will be monitored over Easter weekend

Glentress- Current at 28th March 2013.
    Falla Brae & Buzzards nest car parks are closed to vehicles due to snow/ice.Trails: All trails open. Conditions: Snow/Ice at all levels. Around 6 inches at Buzzards Nest car park, deeper at higher levels.

Innerleithen – Current at 28th March 2013.
    DH Trails: All open. Note: Enduro event on 30th & 31st Mar now rescheduled to 13/14th April, so DH trails now open as usual this weekend (30th/31st Mar). . XC Trail: Open with diversion (see below). Conditions: Snow/Ice at all levels, deep snow higher up.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Blanchland

Is that just south of |Hexham,near the common. Might head up there tomorrow,or maybe Kielder.

hmmm

ahsat

Aye south of Hexham. Otherside of Slaley. Ended up doing housework so didn’t go investigate today.

solar1
    Free Member

Not a sniff of snow further east. Plenty of options. Very little snow in Kielder (but it’s shit anyway), Cheviots not too bad, chopwell fine, thrunton woods fine, Wooler common fine….

Or just get a fat bike and everywheres just fine.

ahsat

Thrunton is all chewed up at the moment though and not great if you aren’t with someone to show you round. Chopwell is indeed clear – just point your nose down a track. Easier to navigate than Thrunton.

geordiewill
    Free Member

The uplift guys @ Descend Hamsterley said it was snowing heavily there yesterday (sat 30th) and no uplifts scheduled until next Wednesday. I’ve just been up in Northumberland and it looks pretty clear but can see the snow on the Cheviots. So I may try Thrunton tomorrow morning; as long as it doesn’t snow tonight!

geordiewill
    Free Member

Thrunton out as well. Went up today and most of the best bits were unrideable ;-(

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What trails are currently ridable in central Britain?’ is closed to new replies.