• This topic has 32 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by oxbow.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What trail pump? Tried the obvious already
  • Premier Icon james
    Free Member

Following on from this now closed ‘what pump thread’:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-trail-pump-tried-the-obvious-already/

[essentially I’ve had two topeak mountain morphs and a leyzne alloy drive and both wore out internally failing to pump]
    I’ve since tried (as recommended in the previous thread) the Truflo minitrack, I like it, only where the gauge pops out the base, the metal pipe from the pump to the gauge broke off

I’ve also tried a Blackburn wayside hybrid, its massive, the closest thing to a track pump that fits in your camelback, I’ve even reseated tubeless tyres out on rides with it (they were already half seated). It has now broken too (the main pump body has ripped out of the soft plastic base that two tiny screws were supposed to hold together)

Are there any other ‘big for a mini pump’ options out there?

Premier Icon darrenspink
    Free Member

Tried a Lezyne micro floor drive? High volume or pressure alternatives

Mines lasted three years but I can’t remember the last time I had a puncture tbh (tubeless).

Premier Icon guandax

I second the Lezyne Micro Floor. Have had one for a couple years and works well. Whenever anyone has a flat they always turn to me to use my pump. It’s robust and isn’t a total ball-ache to get a flat tyre back to 25 psi without the help of Geoff Capes.

Premier Icon tall_martin

https://www.blackburndesign.com/en_eu/mammoth-anyvalve-pump.html

I had the previous version which lasted for about 10 years, it died, I tried 4 other pumps which lasted for less than a couple of puncture and went back to the mammoth. 4 years on its still going strong:-)

Premier Icon euans2
    Free Member

OneUp EDC pumps are pretty good, both Co2 and normal pump in one

EDC PUMP

Premier Icon mick_r

This from Rose Bikes
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/xtreme-airik-mini-pump-21222

£14!

We’ve been using them for over 12 years family of 4 mtb, commuting, training etc. Got a few mixed around bags and bikes but EVERY one still works like new. It is a small volume road pump so gets mtb pressure effortlessly (holding with fingertips) and is so efficient it isn’t much slower than a big volume pump. Helped out a punctured fat bike last summer and he was amazed how quickly it worked.

Also got emergency patches and a good brass schrader adaptor hidden in the handle (not some unreliable double head faff).

We’ve binned loads of pumps over 30 years mtbing and nothing comes close to these for the cash.

Premier Icon Simon

I can’t even remember the last time I had to use my pump out on a ride.
    How often are you getting punctures to wear out multiple pumps??

Premier Icon esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How often are you getting punctures to wear out multiple pumps??

Which is what I was wondering!

Topeak Mini Morph here which I’ve had around 6-7 years I’d think. I took it to bits & cleaned/lubed it a couple of months ago cos it was a bit graunchy but It’s like new again now.

Premier Icon chakaping

Blackburn mountain air here, about 10 years old and had one service kit to replace worn seals.

Did swap to a mountain morph but bent that in a crash (my bike landed on top of me), so dug the old faithful out again.

Premier Icon james
    Free Member

Sorry, confusion, I’ve never had a Leyzyne Alloy Drive
    It was a Micro Floor (with gauge) I had. It wore out and leaked air internally

And before tubeless (I still puncture) and reinforced tyres (punctured more) when I was on maxxis freeride and specialized downhill tubes, I wouldn’t be surprised to puncture twice a ride. Didn’t always happen, but wasn’t uncommon by any means

Premier Icon chakaping

Can’t you get a service kit for the pump that’s just failed?

Premier Icon james
    Free Member

“Can’t you get a service kit for the pump that’s just failed?”
    No its snapped in half

Premier Icon chakaping

You lost your rag with it didn’t you?

Premier Icon james
    Free Member

The base (/front) fell off

the front fell off

Premier Icon lezyne
    Free Member

Hi James,

Sorry to hear that you had trouble with your Micro Floor Drive. If able, can you please send an email to warranty@lezyne.com? Our customer service team should be able to help you out!

Cheers!

Premier Icon whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

+1 for lezyne micro floor pump, yeah it’s a bit heavier and longer, but fits in my smallest bag and it actually works

Premier Icon bob_summers

Is Ling running Lezyne these days?

Premier Icon DezB

I lost my Lezyne Alloy Drive – I’d bought when they first came out and used about 4 times! How the hell could you wear one out?? I replaced with a cheap one from Velochampion as it just sits in my bag most of the time. The velochampion one has a gauge – I checked the reading against my Lezyne track pump and it’s surprisingly accurate. That’s about as exciting as mini pumps get really isn’t it..?

Premier Icon nixie

I’m surprised at the rate of pump death your inflicting. I’m still on my first cheap bontrager one, its 15 years old now and refuse to die. I really want a wooden handled lezyne one but until this one breaks I can’t justify it.

Premier Icon Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve had a lezyne micro floor drive a while, the idea of a mini track pump is good and it’s certainly as easy as it could be to inflate a tube/tyre without a co2, however I hate the screw on design and the fact the air release button is so easy to press when you are screwing/unscrewing it to the valve. The inline air pressure gauge is wildly optimistic too. Also I don’t know why but whenever I unscrew it it unscrews the valve core in the process 🙁 and no I’m not overtightening it.

Premier Icon JonEdwards
    Free Member

Mountain morph lasted me about a decade (including guiding duties when it got a HELL of a work out), although a few bits fell off (like the foot plate.

Now have a Lezyne equivalent, with the hose & head off the Morph, since the Lezyne screw on doofer, as above, is a PITA.

As and when the Lezyne breaks, I’ll be back to Topeak…

Premier Icon butcher

Sorry, confusion, I’ve never had a Leyzyne Alloy Drive

I wouldn’t bother. Most expensive and worst pump I’ve ever owned. Have different pumps on all my bikes, but that one is being relegated to the bin because I don’t trust it not to let me down. Aldi pumps have been more reliable. Unscrewing valve cores, which just ping off into bushes leaving an un-repairable tube. Hose welded into the pump due to corrosion, which required mole grips to remove. General corrosion, which means I can no longer get an air-tight seal around the hose… Even when it was new I never rated it.

Surprised you had problems with the Mountain Morph. The Road Morph is my favourite. Used it for years. Works flawlessly every time, and can easily get pressures above 100psi. Bit cumbersome, and crap mount, but that’s the one I’d take with me on a big day out, or when I go touring.

Premier Icon canopy
    Free Member

is something else happening and the pumps being broken by being in a bag and being bent/knocked/fallen on.. i’ve broken new shock pumps that way for sure

Premier Icon molgrips

These FWE ones from Evans are outstanding, best I’ve ever seen by miles. Also sealed, so if you stick them on the frame they don’t get cack inside:

Road
    MTB

Premier Icon DezB

These FWE ones from Evans..

Good value too. I got some FWE bar tape and like all the FWE stuff appears, v good quality.

Premier Icon simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Surprised you had problems with the Mountain Morph. The Road Morph is my favourite. Used it for years. Works flawlessly every time, and can easily get pressures above 100psi.

Likewise. My Mountain Morph is many years old and has yet to let me down – it usually gets lent to whoever is fixing a puncture as it’s more effective than anything else. Similarly my Road morph. I’d not carry anything without a hose now as the reduced effort from pumping against the ground, and greatly reduced risk of valve damage is bigly.

Premier Icon james
    Free Member

“is something else happening and the pumps being broken”
    The last two (the structural failures) were down to not perfectly even ground (that’s mountain biking isn’t it?) to pump off and ill thought out structural design

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

+1 for Mountain Morph.

The last two (the structural failures) were down to not perfectly even ground (that’s mountain biking isn’t it?) to pump off and ill thought out structural design

The phrase “A poor workman …” springs to mind 😙 I think I’m cack handed and have yet to break the MM.

Premier Icon z1ppy
    Free Member

I can only echo what been said about about the Mountain Morph, mine is a decade old and the one everyone reaches for, when we have a puncture. WTF have you done to break it?
    Anyways, what I would say is since everyone in my group went tubeless, we’ve not had a trail puncture for so long I can’t remember when it was last used*. Just go tubeless.

*Actually that a lie, it was Nov 2017, as I’d just got a new bike with tubes fitted.

Premier Icon james
    Free Member

I already am tubeless, I still puncture semi regularly. Either a pinch of the tyre by the rim or in the treaded area of the tyre

The two topeak mountain morphs (nor the lezyne) never broke structurally. Despite swapping the main piston seal they all failed to pump after quite a bit of use. They all got very hot after pumping for a while, I’d put it down to wearing the main pump body out internally

Premier Icon rickon

I already am tubeless, I still puncture semi regularly. Either a pinch of the tyre by the rim or in the treaded area of the tyre

Sounds like you need higher pressures to stop the pinch flats, or wider rims.

Not much you can do about cap punctures, other than running tyres with less space between the nobbles.

I probably puncture 1 or 2 times a year. I ride a decent amount, with a few trips to rim destroying places abroad.

Premier Icon oxbow
    Free Member

Plus one for the Blackburn Mammoth, mine has lasted for years (and gets good use as I’m not running tubeless). The other half swears by the Blackburn Airstick

http://www.blackburndesign.com/en_ca/pumps/airstick-2-stage-mini-pump.html

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What trail pump? Tried the obvious already’ is closed to new replies.