What trail obstacles do you really struggle with….

Home Forum Bike Forum What trail obstacles do you really struggle with….

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • What trail obstacles do you really struggle with….
  • FuzzyWuzzy

Steep sections with jaggedy rocks, it’s the one type of thing I can’t force myself to look where I want to go rather than at where I don’t want my front wheel to get stuck. Invariably I end up with a stuck wheel and a side/over-the-bars dismount

loddrik

Don’t really like being airborne, much prefer slow rocky technical stuff.

Steve77

Anything committing right at the end of the trail. Will chicken out on stuff if it’s in sight of the car park that I wouldn’t think twice about earlier in the ride. I just think that was a good 2hr ride, not going to injure myself in the last 30 seconds

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

All of the above, pretty much.

Ok on muddy, steep downhills, don’t mind both wheels sliding, but deep water, big step ups/downs, jumps and boardwalk scare me fartless.

And the steps in Calderdale are horrible.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Gates and stiles!

tarquin

Everything apart from fireroad? πŸ˜†

I just like going fast on dry slightly loose dirt with leaves scattered about in Autumn when its not too hot or cold, few little bumps and jumps but nothing that would upset anyone.

grum

Nice post by James illustrated with pictures.

The third drop at Caddon Bankis also my nemesis.

Trail mincers with geared bikes

πŸ˜†

Oh dear.

Premier Icon imnotverygood
    Subscriber

That gap between the two rocks on Pennels Vennel. One day it is gonna be too deep for the pedals to clear the sides.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

is jealous of the trails james rides, altho on that last one you do appear to have forgotten to get changed out of your pyjamas when you got up that morning πŸ™‚

Recognise the scree, that’s fun, scary as hell but fun πŸ™‚ don’t know any of the others but they look good.

Ruts, I hate ruts, either riding inside them or having one next to the trail I’m on, cannot for the life of me hold a line when there’s ruts around. Not big on jumps either but as they only pop up on the occasional trail centre visit it’s not often a problem. No need to mention wet roots, surely that’s a universal thing….?

boxfish

Seemingly innocuous off-camber turns. They hold a hex over me.

Anything involved roots, trees, tight gaps through trees or northshore

I should probably just ride above the tree line at all times….or maybe on the moon

rocketman

Anything walking-speed slow & trialsy. Simply have no sense of balance below a certain speed

Otherwise OK πŸ™‚

yunki

needing a poo usually knocks me off my flow a bit

whatnobeer

Step down, corner type things. Like the one on Pie Run and at the bottom of the old Ewoks Village. Although interestingly, I’ve always managed to get around the one on Pie Run but never the other one at the end of Ewoks. THey dont hold any fear, I’m just a bit rubbish at them.

Euro

yunki – Member
    needing a poo usually knocks me off my flow a bit

I’ve discovered if you blast down a trail, the need mysteriously vanishes. Quite the opposite of what i expected. I think you can scare poo away (as long as the pace car is still out). Sometimes it can take hours to pluck up the courage to resurface.

PJM1974

+1 for damp, green chalk. There’s a very long climb nearby that consists of lumps of flint embedded in chalk. In the summer, it’s a test of fitness. In the winter, it’s a test of bike control. If you’re on a full suss with very spitty traction you quickly learn the art of speedy unclipping.

Oh and dropoffs. I hate them.

grum

By the way, doesn’t ‘step down’ technically means a jump where the landing is lower than the take-off, as opposed to just a step that can be rolled.

DrP

Grum, I’d say both count.
    Either something rollable at slow speed, but ‘steps down’ if jumped, or simply a ‘proper jump’ with the landing lower.

In the same way a step up can be both….

James – I think those pictures were posted to invoke jealousy!!

DrP

franki

I really don’t like deep ruts in line with your wheel on steep descents. Keep thinking I’m going to catch the side and flip over the bars.

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

Steps, my back just does not like the repeated shocks πŸ™„ Legs tend to stop working for some reason πŸ’‘
    Jumps of all and any kind for similar reasons. Just fever know if back will spasm 😑

atlaz

I have a real mental block over really steep roll-ins but only if I stop before them. If I just ride them, no problem at all but every time I stop before it it’s a coin toss as to whether I’ll get the balls up to do them.

titusrider

Jumps with a steepish takeoff ramp (the last big one of these kicked my rear wheel over my head…)

Jumps with gaps > about 2 feet

strangly if there isnt a take off ‘ramp’ and i can just launch flat drop to downramp or flat im happy with pretty much anything….. (that you would do on a mojo sl anyway!)

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

I don’t like that corner on Pie Run either, it just looks guaranteed to catch my front wheel and land me on the deck.

I struggle with up hill steps as well, its probably just bad technique coupled with the fear that if I stall compeltely I will just fall over still clipped in!

Premier Icon teamslug
    Subscriber

+1 for wet roots and air over 0.5 secs in duration…

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

There’s a couple of runs at Warncliffe that have lef hand switchback into right hand switchback on really steep soft ground that i just cannot carry any speed through. i always end up on the brakes too much and loose my front wheel. I just can’t seem to get my weight in the right place, or i just need to man up and go for it, but trees hurt!!

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

Woodwork. Complete mental block.

Premier Icon readikus
    Subscriber

Really narrow, rustic bridges πŸ™‚

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘What trail obstacles do you really struggle with….’ is closed to new replies.