Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What trail fork for a DW 5 Spot…………..
  • will.i.am
    Free Member

I rode a friends large '09 5 spot recently with a fox 140 rl. Great ride, I want one.

However, there were some surprise pedal strikes despite taking the time to set up sag properly. So, it got me thinking what fork ?

I don't need a 36mm. Turner site recommends 515mm axle to crown height. I've looked at the following simply because I currently own Fox and Rockshox forks.

Fox 140 510mm axle to crown.
    Fox 150 520mm
    Revs 140 518mm
    Revs 150 u-turn 529mm

Would 150 Revs be ok if I end up deciding to ride them mostly wound down to 140mm. Anyone experienced issues doing this for prolonged periods of time ?

pastcaring
    Free Member

turner recommend a 130 to 160 fork.

any fork you mentioned would work ok. i think the spot has 69' ht angle with 140 fox, 68.5 with a 150 fox.

so down to personal preference.

i went for the rev 150.

will.i.am
    Free Member

Thanks PC. Hope you don't mind me asking you a couple of things.

Do you ever find the need to wind the fork down and are you happy with your choice in hindsight ?

Did you ride the bike with that setup before you bought ?

pastcaring
    Free Member

i tested the 5spot with a 140. i haven't tested the 150 rev yet. i've been waiting for my frame since jan, been told next week, but i'll believe it when i see it.

heihei

Ride a Spot with a Float 36 and never wind it down. The DW link props the back of the bike up when climbing so you don't get the same need to reduce fork travel as with some other designs.

mrpink
    Free Member

I have a fox float 150 on my spot i also have a talas 36 that i use at 130 most of the time.I never liked the demo bikes with a 140 fork just never felt ok on the downs.

will.i.am
    Free Member

Thanks for your comments guys.

Mr Pink – how does the 150 climb and descend ?

si-wilson
    Free Member

Anyone wanting a v good price on some 36 Floats, just drop me an email 8)

Rickos
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB uses 160 mm coil Lyriks on his. Not sure if he bothers with the U-Turn or not though. He'll no doubt be along soon.

grantway
    Free Member

Fox 140 – 160 Fork or a Fox Talas
    and have an all round bike.

mrpink
    Free Member

I have no problem on climbs with my 150 float not until my legs give up(lakes rides)downhill is good,15mm qr not as good as my 36 talas set at 160 with a 20mm hub but not bad.With the 32 float the bike is more lively + you have the lock out for steep road climbs.

mrpink
    Free Member

Bike wth the 32 float 150.

Northwind

I don't have a 5 Spot but I do have a 150mm Rev Team u-turn, and it's fantastic. I think u-turn's a better option than TALAS myself, if you want the adjustable travel.

ibis
    Free Member

It has a rear end only a mother could love ! 😛

davcow
    Free Member

Got to agree with the RockShox Rev 150mm.
    Team Dual air for me…

convert

Glad I found this thread….

Still in a quandary about this bike and if so what forks. On the verge of buying one but after a ti456 the head angle felt very steep with the 140 floats on the test bike. I have a pair of 140mm dual air pikes that I was going to put on it but very tempted by a pair of coil lyriks (2010s @ £540 from Merlin this w'end). 150mm revs seem maybe a sensible route but going to expense of buying new forks just for an extra 10mm seems a bit excessive.

I would want the ability change fork length whilst out riding rather than in the workshop so I guess that is a coil lyrik or a fox talas 36 as the only options if going longer.

With heavy lyriks on the bike it will always be a burly build and maybe loose the nimble feeling I loved about the test ride. Maybe I'm after the moon on a stick….

Vortexracing

The 150 rev teams (of which I have some and they are very good), would give you the travel and the weight saving your after convert.

convert

Thanks, I think I just came to that conclusion too. Whilst the 16mm increase in crown – axle length of the Lyrik @ 160mm over the Revs would take the best part of another degree off the head angle in comparison to the revs I'm a trail rider at heart rather than some big hitter so I think not dragging an extra 700g of fork all over the mountain would be better for me.

voodoo-rich

In case anyone's still monitoring this thread- what front mechs are you using? I understand about the modification needed to clear the swingarm(unless you use an X9 top-pull) and I've seen the pics on the Turner site showing how to cut down a Shimano mech, but can I use a cut-down X7?(Bright yellow 5-Spot frame delivered yesterday, very excited!)

toons
    Free Member

I don't think you need to cut down Sram mechs?

heihei

Sram mechs work fine – have an X9 on mine no problems.

convert – have a DW Spot with 160mm Floats and a Ti456 with 150mm Floats (32's) and don't have any problems switching between the two.

voodoo-rich

cool, thanks. anything to keep the cost down on this build is useful!

dreednya

If you've never tried one then you really should demo a bike with a manitou minute 140 with the Absolute+ damping. Seriously you should, it is a very viable alternative to both Fox and Rockshox that, IMO, is a better damping system. I have to say that I've not ridden a Rockshox with the black box damping or a Fox with the new FIT damper, but the Absolute+ is better than their previous systems. IMHO – seriously go on try one 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What trail fork for a DW 5 Spot…………..’ is closed to new replies.