Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • What towbar mounted bike carrier?
  • djflexure

Thanks the Buzzwing seems to be a good design and more sensibly priced than the Whispbar. On the Scorpion you don’t even have to pass the clamp through the first bike.

mechanicaldope

On the Scorpion you don’t even have to pass the clamp through the first bike.

Nor with the Buzzwing 3. Don’t know about the 2. Think it is rated to a 119cm wheelbase but you would probably be OK a little bit longer. Good spacing between bikes at 20cm.

djflexure

I’ve ordered the Scorpion, will report back. Thanks

Burchy1
    Free Member

I’ve got a buzzwing 2 which is a well made rack, but with 2 issues for me.

1. My Longshot cotic rocket doesn’t fit. I’ve bodged this by drilling extra holes in the bar so i can mount the feet further out which works better but isn’t ideal.

2. Ive got it for a Berlingo and it doesn’t quite fit, it’s close but the daily to tighten it onto the ball fouls the tailgate.

So a good rack but a bit of a fail from me when buying it. What are other Berlingo owners using?

singlespeedstu

Any racks working well with modern (loooong) bikes? Thinking L/XL Aeris / Geometron 29ers.

Atera Ebike ML.
    Has loads of room for a Longest G16 and G13.
    Had an Atera rack before that was brilliant but just not long enough so swapped to this.
    2x G16 on it in this pic.
    I was just trying it for size and hadn’t fitted the support frame and arms.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2a5nWZj]Atera Ebike ML rack.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’ve just pulled the trigger on a Witter ZX503 – New from EBay. I’ve got a bracket fixed one on my T5 where the bikes ‘hang on’ but have just bought a car with a removable tow bar. The Atera ones seem highly recommended – but what swung the Witter for me was that it also tilts & when not in usd can be folded up vertically & driven on the back of the car still with the lighting board folded to show to the rear. I’m hoping it will be as good as an Atera or Thule & it’s Btitish……….

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Another Atera Strada DL owner, after lots of research I went for the DL with 4th bike carrier should I ever need it, the reinforced straps were a little short for plus tyres, good news Atera addressed this with longer straps.

The rack is quality easy to use & once locked to the tow bar you know it’s secure.

Hope that helps

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/all-products/atera_strada_dl_3_to_4_bike_carrier_uk_lights_no_ar2603/Qx%40w%2C6M4PHS%2CZGenkQvENtdosM?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh4eZ8tmD4AIVCJ3tCh10LgS8EAAYASAAEgKsd_D_BwE

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I saw someone with a vertically mounted bike this weekend, like thatrack up there, down here in Surrey.

yoshimi

Anyone noticed those heavy duty Thule ones they all seem to have in the USA? Not sure why we can’t get something similar here – maybe the fitting; seem to be those weird box section insert mounts for the towbar

frogstomp

TurnerGuy : I saw someone with a vertically mounted bike this weekend, like thatrack up there, down here in Surrey.

That’s probably a Scorpion Rack (the other sort) – made in Surrey.

djflexure

First trip out with the Buzzwing Scorpion today and its great – I have hated the Atera Strada that I’ve used for the last 10 years. This is so much easier. Just 2 bikes but more secure on the towball, bikes load very quickly (no deflating tyres or faffing threading clamps through frames or having bikes too close). Fits large 29er with 2.5 tyres, wheelbase 46″.

hainman
    Free Member

Johnhighfield what frame grabbers are on the witter rack you got??
    I’ve an old one but it’s the duck bill style and not to convinced it’s that secure,thinking or ordering the strap style ones the westfalia use and they can be bought for about £14 each and just attach to the bar on the back of my rack

phil5556

I saw someone with a vertically mounted bike this weekend, like thatrack up there, down here in Surrey.

I think I might get one for my van.

We’ve got a tailgate one at the moment but it doesn’t fit the bikes properly and you can’t get in the boot.

I’d like to try one out before I commit but there’s not many around.

iainc

Thread resurrection ! I am shortly getting a full suss ebike so am looking for a towbar rack. I have roof carriers already so looking for a towbar one for 2 bikes, at least one over 20kg..

I was looking at the Thule xt :

This one

Which I’d buy from roofbox, but wondering if the Atera ones are better for my needs ?

ajantom

2 heavy bikes + folding rack?
    I’d have a look at the Buzzrack Scorpion from Roofbox.
    Half the price of the Thule, and a very good bit of kit.

iainc

Looks a good option, thanks

johnw1984
    Free Member

I have a Buzzrack Scorpion and it’s been excellent so far! I did like how solid the Thule racks looked, but having had my bike on one this week (3 bikes), I’m not convinced.

I don’t know which one it is (euro-something), but it looked quality and very sturdy. The bikes sat far too close to each other and were rubbing. I put some cloth between the rub points, but still lost paint on my fork lowers 🙁

The Scorpion is so quick to put on and off and stash in the boot too.

chevychase

Got the Thule G6 929. Had it for years. It’s been brill. Had 4 bikes on it with the extender and it’s been reliable as hell 🙂

phil5556

We recently got a Thule Velospace XT2. I struggled with justifying the price but having driven over 2k miles with it on recently it really is excellent and worth the money.

Fits fat bikes on with loads of space between them (did have to buy longer straps for the wheels) and even on a van 760mm bars have plenty of distance between them and the back window. The tilt function works well (but did need modifying for a van tailgate to clear it).

We hired heavy full suss ebikes a couple of weeks ago and they went on it fine too.

iainc

Well seems to be between the Buzzrack Scorpion, the Thule XT2 and Atera Strada M2. Quite a range in price, so hard not to go with the Buzzrack I think ?

philjunior
    Free Member

Don’t know what your requirements are, but mine were decent value and 4 bikes. Got the Halfords own brand 4 bike rack and it’s been great, managed to get 4 adult sized bikes on without fuss (didn’t even need to pad anything out to stop rubbing) saddles down.

It doesn’t fold down for boot access, but I can open the boot a bit, or get in through the front should I need to. Obviously if I was planning on doing this a lot I’d go for a different rack.

You can use BC discount on it too, if you’re a BC member.

iainc

Just ordered the Thule Velospace XT2, very useful thread, cheers

This one

Tracey

We bought the XT3 with the fourth bike adapter last autumn after years of good service with our older Thule rack mainly to get the ebikes on. Only used it once but it did take 3 Turbo Levos with ease.
    I went in hospital for another operation on my damaged foot and came out to find we had swapped the car for a Tourneo Custom so don’t use it. Its sat at the back of the garage for the just in case we need it like a load of other stuff.
    The old rack was sold at Peatys bike bonanza to four young lads who were planning their future trips and threw £25 each at it. Glad to see it go to a new home.
    Good choice and sturdy enough for your new bike

devbrix
    Free Member

Had several and this is the best bar none.
    https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/whispbar_3_bike_tow_bar_carrier_no_wbt31/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4urewHNE2

Expensive but worth every penny. Fits in seconds, bikes dead easy to mount quickly and securely and whole thing swings away from the boot with a quick press of a foot switch.

devbrix
    Free Member

Doubt you’d find one to fit a Geometron. Had several and this is the best bar none. https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/whispbar_3_bike_tow_bar_carrier_no_wbt31/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4urewHNE2

Seconds to fit, easy to fit bikes and swings away from the boot at a press of a foot switch. Big enough for large Nomad V4 and Hightower LT.

Major downside is it’s expensive (but it’s very well made)

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘What towbar mounted bike carrier?’ is closed to new replies.