Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • what tools for car maintenance n'that?
  • aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

birthday is coming up and the wife suggested some tools, fancy getting one of those stand up red cabinets with drawers and some tools for it, but where from?

don't want to go to the expense of Snap On or Mac, but mabye some stuff that'll make me feel like a man when i right royally bu66er up the car and have to phone the garage

falkirk-mark

Try Machine Mart

cp

or screwfix

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    funkynick

Halfords professional tool range is very good…

cp

or screwfix

cp

stupid chuffin website – apologies for double post 🙂

willard

Screwfix.

Then you just need to fill it with several hammers, two sets of spanners (each missing a 10mm), a pair of mole grips, and a number of screwdrivers of varying lengths (most of which have paint on).

I'd be tempted to get a couple of hub extractors, a boa thingy for taking off oil filters, a decent set of sockets, and a set of good splines as well. You might also want a torque wrench. It beats having to use the "grunt" or "white knuckle" approach to torquing something up.

bensales
    Free Member

Halfords Pro range. They will actually honour their life-time gaurantee on the kit, even without the receipt.

Trekster

As with everything else buy cheap buy twice. Forgo the big cabinets and just buy some good tools and an ordinary box

Halfords
    Kamasa
    Britool

Had my Britool tools and box since my apprenticeship days which means most are 30 odd yrs old. Also got some early Kamasa stuff which was supposed to be made by Snapon.

Currently using stuff supplied by work from Kennedy which is OK but not the best feel in the hand.

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If you buy decent stuff, you know it will work and you'll be more inclined to tackle things.

I'm using the same tools I've had over the last 20 odd years.As long as I look after them I'd expect them to last me a lifetime.

Ebay can be a good source for stuff. Look out for Facom, Stahwille, Proto, Signet etc. not quite as bling niche as Snap On but really good quality.

Brainflex

Teng are good quality at a cheap price.

swamp_boy

I'd echo the comments about Halfords pro stuff – well made and they do honour the guarantee. They replaced a ratchet for me because the chrome started peeling, not mechanical problems with it.

They do a very nice quarter inch drive socket set that includes hex drive sockets up to 13mm, allen key and torx bits in common sizes – I use it a lot for work on the bikes.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Reccomendation for Halfords here too. I still have a 'cheap' socket set of theirs from 20+ years ago that still gets used, and their pro range is v. good. Facom and Kamasa tools good too.
    Look after your tools, and they will last a lifetime.
    Oh, and get one of those magnetic steel trays. Lifesavers…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘what tools for car maintenance n'that?’ is closed to new replies.