Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • What to replace my 5 29 with ??
  • hora
    Free Member

So we should see some new models soon, Blood revisited too?

I can see why Renton does it. I too do this, it helps with time but I do think there are other factors it helps cope with (underlying stress etc). Well with me it manifested itself this way.

thepodge
    Free Member

A revised / modernised Orange Blood could be popular but I cant see it happening.

What on earth happened to Cove? I thought they were supposed to be one of the cool indipendant lot but £1700 for this

When for £600 you could get this

chestrockwell

Cor, on the face of it what a con!

vondally
    Free Member

For cove hustler check chain reaction £699 currently plus 10 off

thepodge
    Free Member

wooo, massively reduced to a price higher than others are selling the exact same frame for

vondally
    Free Member

I thought switchback bikes had ceased existence?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What on earth happened to Cove? I thought they were supposed to be one of the cool indipendant lot but £1700 for this

Aye, agreed, but I suppose Canadians could be sitting saying the very same about Orange?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m not sure the current status of Switchback / Hammerhead, my point was that Cove, once a well respected company are now knocking out frames designed and sold by others for vastly higher prices.

chakaping
    Free Member

Switchback have shut up shop AFAIK.

Agree about Cove, weak move.

thepodge
    Free Member

Its a pity about Switchback, slightly messy history but they seemed to be nice bikes, just a shame they couldn’t keep it going forwards.

chakaping
    Free Member

IIRC I was told the fella was tired of struggling to sell bikes.

Plenty of other firms seem to use the same factory now eh? Maybe we need to order a batch of STW bikes, like that German forum bike.

chestrockwell

I suppose Canadians could be sitting saying the very same about Orange?

Why’s that then?

vondally
    Free Member

Re cove get the point being made, but as with cars will more companies share r and d/ production costs and brand with badge with associated ‘values’?

Edit idea of a forum bike….interesting but that could be something for renton and hora to collaborated on? 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

Can I offer some advice to the OP?

Most bikes are good. Most can be tweaked and adapted to fit you. Don’t overthink it. Every bike has positives and negatives, so changing them endlessly because of an imagined problem won’t do you any favours.

In other words – relax 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

vondally – Re cove get the point being made, but as with cars will more companies share r and d/ production costs and brand with badge with associated ‘values’?

Thats not what happened here though is it. Blueflow / Hammerhead / Unveil have explained their design process and how it came about. Cove had nothing to do with it, they just put their stickers on and charged higher prices.

chakaping – IIRC I was told the fella was tired of struggling to sell bikes.

Plenty of other firms seem to use the same factory now eh? Maybe we need to order a batch of STW bikes, like that German forum bike.

We’d never all agree long enough to stick to one design however it would be interesting to know if you could buy direct from the factory but then much like you, I’d want it tweaking.

chestrockwell

Back to the OP….

I have just weighed my 5 29 and it came in at 30.8lb.

Spec is:
    Large frame.
    Thomson dropper with Spoon saddle.
    XT groupo except for cheap RF crank and SLX front mech
    2014 Fox Performance 34’s with Evolution CTD shock.
    Mavic UST on Hope hubs with Specialized Purgs 2.3.
    Easton carbon Havock bar with cheap RF stem.
    XT SPD’s.
    3×10.

No real effort to save weight and plenty more could be shaved off so if you are looking for a much lighter bike you either need loads more cash or a lot of luck.

vondally
    Free Member

Thepodge….I thought it was switchback using the front end of a kona satori and modified a rear end to their spec? Same as the hammerhead bike from the Titus in the day?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

chestrockwell – Member

I suppose Canadians could be sitting saying the very same about Orange?

Why’s that then?

Cove bikes look pretty much how they did 10 years ago, that was my point, not that Orange were copying others designs.

I remember when Cove were pretty cool, it’s not a brand I would even consider now. Oh, and there bike names were shit too.

thepodge
    Free Member

vondally – Thepodge… I thought it was switchback using the front end of a kona satori and modified a rear end to their spec? Same as the hammerhead bike from the Titus in the day?

Sort of, but where does Cove sit in that? they dont, they just looked through a catalogue and ticked a box. At least switchback put a new rear end on an existing front.

renton
    Free Member

Back to the OP….
    Spec is:
    Large frame.
    XT SPD’s.
    3×10.

How on earth has it come out at that weight.

Mine is virtually identical apart from a spesh dropper and the standard wheels and must weigh at least 36lbs.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

must weigh at least 36lbs.

Sounds like you haven’t weighed it.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I kind of agree with Renton, that weight seems optimistic.

vondally
    Free Member

Back to OP –

I in my nearly three decades riding have got rid of and sold bikes because of so many reasons, did not climb well (Bullit) did not like the suspension system (Blur lt VPP) some where the wrong size (Nicolai cc Marin Pine mountain) some where rubbish( Gary Fisher Cake) some where the wrong wheel size (Yeti asr 7 26), a lot through injury and many more excuses, some I really regret selling (Litespeed Kitsuma/Turner RFX) and I will continue look and ponder because something is new and shiney over there but……

so I would suggest that on this occasion hold onto the bike ( unless you have sold it), as simply it is a great bike, you liked it as Fasthaggis pointed out, so it does not have-

the latest geometry – unless you are a world cup rider- so what it will not make a huge difference that 0,5 degree headangle

REar wheel flex – I have generally not noticed that on 90% of bikes that I have owned – gary fisher cake actually yes – ridden a 29er alpine and did not notice it flexing at all and if it does so what.

Weight – do not become too worried I am some where between 14.5 and 15,5 stone, and have come to recognise that weight can equal strength and reliability.

As above get fitter if you need to and look at the bike as an aid to that.

Things will change in 8 months you will feel different and there will be a whole new set of bikes to consider.

Enjoy what you have got for a while…..

v666ern
    Free Member

I can see where you’ll save 6lbs

Sounds like you haven’t weighed it.

8)

GavinB

Spec is:
    Large frame.
    XT SPD’s.
    3×10.

Interested to know what you weighed your bike with, as there is nothing lightweight there at all.

Back to the OP – maybe try get out and ride, rather than sit and think for 9 months about what bike to buy?

veedubdave

Keep the Five… 🙂

Northwind

chestrockwell – Member

No real effort to save weight

Yup, just needs a good choice of scales 😆

chestrockwell

To be fair that was using the electronic salter scales so perhaps not the most accurate. Saying that, when it was in standard ‘S’ spec it came in around 35lbs on proper scales and the changes I have made have saved at least 3lb I’d say so I don’t think 32lb is optimistic. The point still stands that to get something significantly lighter then you could easily make your 5 will require deep pockets.

damascus
    Free Member

We need another “what does your bike weigh thread” they are my favourite

molgrips
    Free Member

gary fisher cake

I had one of those. Some things about it were rubbish, but others were great. I kept it and had a good time riding it, appreciating its strengths – til someone nicked it.

Don’t look for the perfect bike, it doesn’t exist. Bikes are like relationships, nothing is ever perfect, but some on balance are worth working to keep 🙂

dessmith2006
    Free Member

Don’t test ride the evil unless you want to spend the money, pedals better than most xc bikes comes down like the enduro

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘What to replace my 5 29 with ??’ is closed to new replies.