Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What to replace Mavic Apine XL's with
  • jameswilliams54
    Free Member

My Mavic Alpines are dead and whilst they are are great shoes and got a lot of use they didn’t last that long
    So I’m now looking for something different

Was going to order some Giro terraduro but looking around last night I found the Spesh 2FO cliplite’s which get very good reviews
    The Rime experts also look great but can’t seem to find them in the UK

The northwave enduro mid also look interesting but can’t find a single review of them anywhere

Gonna be used for peaks and lakes riding mostly so must be good off the bike also

ichabod
    Free Member

Cant go wrong with Shimano IMO.. I had some Northwaves which fell apart in a year.. never again! My Shimano m186 are battered but still going holding together after 4 years! The M200s look nice

nickc

Was going to order some Giro terraduro

do this.

My first ride/walk in them was up Snowdon which was knee deep in snow. Shoes were comfy walking and pedalling was great, no hot spots no aching feet.

brilliant shoes

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Nick did you get the standard ones or the HV and how do they size up in width and length
    I don’t have super wide feet but do like to have plenty of wiggle

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Tried on both the giro’s and the 2FO cliplites today, giro felt very tight at both my size and one above and the 2FO’s felt uncomfortable around the ankles, obviously things ease with wear but felt unsure about dropping so much money on a pair of uncomfortable shoes in store
    Have ordered a pair of HV giros to try also
    Anyone else felt the same about the shoes and if they got better with wear ?

theGrinder

Mavic Screes or whatever they now re-named – all year round and their sizing should be similar’ish to your Alpines

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Grinder I actually tried the screes on last year when looking for some winter shoes and did find them very comfy and ideal for most of the year but thought they would be far to warm for spring / summer

richwak
    Free Member

I’ve been riding screes for last 2 years and they are great. Really comfortable for walking in once they soften up a bit and they still look great despite a fair amount of abuse. They are a bit hot in summer but it isn’t often that hot that you’d be bothered. Will ride them in the alps this summer also as they are so comfortable.

theGrinder

Good thing about the screes is they last well, at least 2 to 3 years all year round wearing. I found the top velcro straps (out of 4), the elastic wore thru after a couple of years. Eventually i just cut the top straps off both boots and they’re fine. Not too hot and the soles have a great grip that actually grips on wet rocks etc instead of the plasticy stuff some shoes/boots use on their soles.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What to replace Mavic Apine XL's with’ is closed to new replies.