Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What to replace a Revelation Team with?
  • Northwind

Seems like my Rev Teams are finally going to wave the little white flag- the blackbox compression damper died last year and was replaced with a standard moco, the air spring was rebuilt the year before after developing a burping issue and seems to be going that way again… All in all they have done a good job but are a bit past it and I don’t really want to do another expensive rebuild on them (shouldn’t have done it last time frankly)

So, what’s to replace them? Has to be straight steerer, 140mm, ideally black or grey, ideally maxle 20mm. Going in a Ragley ti that is an allrounder, so nothing skinnier than a Rev (I’m happy with the stiffness), but nothing too massively weighty either. Oh and prefer not to spend a vast sum… Oh, and my only complaint of the Teams was that they were always just a little bit light on compression damping compared to my lyriks and boxxers, so I’d like something either a bit more controlled, or a bit more adjustable.

Not entirely ruling out a 44 RC3 though that causes wheel issues. Obvious answer seems to be an RCT3 Revelation? There’s possibly a little mileage in fitting the dualflow damper from the old Revs into a Sektor but I’m a bit too tarty for that. Anything else I am missing? I’m X-Fusion Curious but haven’t a clue what’s good there…

mildred

If you think the black box damping is a bit light on compression you won’t like 44rc3 ti – the slow speed compression is a bit non existent in comparison to the Revs, though the high speed is sublime.

I’ve had both forks (both 2010 models) and other than when I’m caning it, I prefer the Revs as they seem a bit more supported throughout their travel. Don’t get me wrong, I really liked the 44’s, I just prefer the Revs for the riding I do on that particular bike. My ‘big’ bike has 55 rc3ti’s and I love them on that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So, what’s to replace them? Has to be straight steerer, 140mm, ideally black or grey, ideally maxle 20mm.

Straight Steerer – Currently made of rocking horse crap
    20mm Axle on 140mm forks – available in unicorn horn only – though the size of the bolt is less important than the fork – my current 34’s with a 15mm are way stiffer than the 20mm revs that are now in the garage
    Next thing you will be asking for is 26″!!!

Northwind

Ah, interesting on the 44s, cheers- I’ve not used a set, realyl like the evo 888 but then that’s a pretty different sort of bike…

I was thinking of some sort of absurd sektorevelation mashup with a 140mm coil sektor, the rebound damper from my teams and a new rct3 compression damper, that makes total sense 😉

BadlyWiredDog

That would probably work. You need to check out where the top-out spring is in the Sektor – on the coil u-turn ones it’s on the rebound damper shaft and I had to add one to the Dual Rebound damper from a Rev I fitted. In fact I cut it in half as it otherwise seemed to affect travel. Or something, I can barely remember now…

I don’t know why you think it’s absurd. It’s a just a Sektor with a different rebound and compression damper. My 150mm coil U-Turn Sektor with a dual flow rebound and Black Box compression works really nicely.

Alex

X-Fusion Slant? Think you can get j-tech or loco to drop the non DLA ones to 140. They were still doing straight steerers last time I looked. Great fork, decent price. Not grey tho!

15mm not 20mm and no compression adjustment BUT if you buy them from a proper suspension person they’ll furtle the damping for you.

So not exactly an ideal match but worth a look. I have RCT3s (tapered) on my 29er FS and they are a really good fork tho.

rickon
    Free Member

NW you know the biggest struggle with be the 20mm axle.

You could get some 2013 Revs… http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-revelation-rl-forks-2013-58513.html

With a 15mm axle.

Alex

I’ve had RL and RCT3s. Even I can tell the RCT3 is a far better damped fork. If you’re going Revs, I’d hold out for RCT3s. 20mm tho, it’s suffered from the 650b marketing department….

adrec
    Free Member

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/x-fusion-velvet-rl-fork-2014-10452?gclid=CIf2woWW9LsCFSsKwwod_UgArw

Get these. Got a set of fusions last year, been fantastic. Nice and light, look brilliant, lovely and plush, easy to adjust. Great forks

Northwind

The problem with the axle is that the bike has Roval wheels- which, theoretically, can be convered to 15mm but in practice, obtaining the end caps requires you to pass a series of challenges, each more fiendish than the last, before stealing them from a dragon’s horde. And every other wheel I own is 20mm too, because **** YOU BIKE INDUSTRY you know fine well it’s the best axle standard you ****s.

Ahem.

The velvet looks exceedingly nice, hmm. A mate has a set of those, some investigation in that direction is needed. Liking the 650b compatability, I might not like it much but it’s a good idea.

So, reason frankenfork seems absurd is just the number of different forks involved in the build. Might be possible to just buy the spring but coil sektors can be very cheap… Frankly buying a whole RCT3 Rev would be the best option but getting all the moons to align is not easy.

The actual chassis of the old forks seems fine- I mean, there’ll be 3 years worth of wear and tear on bushings etc but nothing more than that. And that solves the steerer and axle issue at a strong if I can squeeze newer parts into it…

mildred

Ah, interesting on the 44s, cheers- I’ve not used a set, realyl like the evo 888 but then that’s a pretty different sort of bike…

I think if Marzocchi had fitted the Rc3 evo to the 44 it would’ve been ideal, though I think it would’ve also bumped the weight up too much for most consumers (despite the performance). It was already the heaviest in class and people are quite fixated by weights.

Northwind

Right, lets stick it on hold til I’ve battled the dragon re wheel adaptors, obviously needs to be resolved first.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hmmm roval wheels. A wee welsh fella on our bike holiday in molini last year wrecked a couple of spokes on the first day, nowhere in Italy it seemed had spare spokes. Q hiring a bike from the chef in the hotel for the week. Was a lovely cube stereo as well.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fwiw northy, I’m xfusion curious too! Think my next forks will be from them.

Northwind

Yeah, I had a mare finding spokes the first time so got a bunch of spares- specialized do ’em but, er, specialized dealers may need some convincing to find ’em. Great wheels though, just kind of a pain in the arris.

Nobeer, certainly seems a great option now. I like Rockshox mostly because I understand them but there’s definitely a new player

jairaj

I’m going through the same battle as you Northwind.

I love my RS Revs with dual air and u-turn, lots of adjustments and a proper 20mm axle but I spent a LOT of money repairing them last year. Not sure I’m prepared to spend the same if they break again.

I keep trying to buy some new forks but I just can’t seem to press the buy button. I hope my current revs can hold on for another year and hopefully by then RS can put all the technology from the new Pike into a Rev chassis.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Hold out for some good used pikes?

chip
    Free Member

Double post.

chip
    Free Member

I thought the new pikes only came with a tapered steerer.

I just ordered some new RCT3 140 revs a couple of days ago, straight steerer but with the 15mm thru axel.
    I probably spent a bit more money than I should have given My current economic situation.
    But thought next years may not be offered with a straight steerer so should get them while i still could.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    andeh

I’m in the exact same situation. Looking to replace my old Pikes but need something with a straight steerer. Axle size isn’t an issue, but if like something with a bit more support, as it’s for my BFe.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’m in the same situation for my Mk. 2 BFe. Straight steerer 195mm, 20mm axle and black. Can’t even find that second hand at the moment, let alone new! Everyone seems to cut their steerer too short or they’re white.

Looks like I’ll have to order some 15mm end caps for my Mavic wheels from Risse in the States and then I may have more luck.

messiah
    Free Member

Surely a Fox 36 Float reduced to 130mm is the answer? It’s what I ran on my Mmmbop’s and now on my Blue Pig. Robust and stiff fork which feels so much better than the noodle Rev it replaced; well worth it’s extra grams.

Northwind

glasgowdan – Member

Hold out for some good used pikes?

Old Pikes? No ta. New ones won’t fit sadly, doesn’t look like Rockshox will ever make a straight one.

36s not the answer for me, tbh I’m pretty happy to have got rid of the last Fox fork off my bikes, but also I’m just not that sold on stiff, the Revs suit me fine in this bike- I had my lyriks in it, the stiffness was noticable but I didn’t find it useful. I sold an Mmmbop to get a Ti so, stiffness not the priority 😉

mildred

Some Sektors in the sales is probably the most cost effective replacement – you already know that damping cartridges can be swapped, & they tick the boxes on steerer & axle. I wonder how much the stock fork can be tuned to add a bit of compression.

That said, when I commented on the Marzocchi 44 I was talking specifically about the rc3 version; I’d forgot about the micro air ti, which if anything like the 55 version will be very tuneable. I had some 2010 55 micro air ti and they were very nice indeed, though I never felt I got the best from it (from pure can’t arsed-ness). Though you’d be back to the axle problem.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What to replace a Revelation Team with?’ is closed to new replies.