Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What to do with my job?
  • kamina
    Free Member

A few weeks ago my ex boss offered me a job at the company he works for. It's a fairly big international company but the operations in my home country are very small (just a few employees). It would pay better then my current job (about 20% better I guess), but I'm not 100% convinced. The job description sounded like a senior position regarding things I used to do, I just kind of prefer what I'm doing now. Also there was a bit too much "currently it will be like this, but maybe in the future it could be more what I know you want", I believe it tends to stay at what it is. So I turned down the job.

Fast forward to this week, the company I'm working for announced they will cut workforce by up to 20%, which in my opinion is pretty significant. The day it was announced I got another message from the ex boss saying the offer is still valid.

I believe my current role is somewhat crucial, meaning they can't really get rid of me (could be a dangerous assumption). However they could get rid of people who's departure might cause quite a lot more work for me. Also I don't know what the spirit of the company will be like after everyone has had colleagues they like kicked out.

What would you do?

oddjob
    Free Member

Do you know when the redundancies will be announced?
    To certain extent I would follow your gut instinct, if he really wants you then he may be prepared to wait if you could manage the time carefully, you could wait and see if you are being let go before making the final call.
    I would also want to be sure that the small operations in the UK are making money otherwise the new job may prove to be short lived anyway.

BigJohn

Go and have a chat with your current boss (is the company really on a down?) and then your ex boss (is the company really on the up?) then imagine how you would feel if either oportunity was taken away from you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zaskar
    Free Member

Polish ex-boss's shoes!

No, as above go and have a chat and see what is really involved in the new role and jump ship.

Only my £1.50

kamina
    Free Member

Do you know when the redundancies will be announced?

I expect to hear an initial estimate of "heads per department" next week. It might take quite long to get to hearing actual names.

I would also want to be sure that the small operations in the UK are making money otherwise the new job may prove to be short lived anyway.

Yeah, it's not in the UK but this is something I'm concerned about. It's just and just making money, but increasing (or so I was told)

Go and have a chat with your current boss (is the company really on a down?) and then your ex boss (is the company really on the up?) then imagine how you would feel if either oportunity was taken away from you.

I don't think my current boss knows more then me for the moment, but I could try to see if he can get some guarantees. However if the layoffs will affect our department I don't think it would be legal for the company to give an "official" exclusion to any of the departments employees in advance.

I don't think the company is really on a down, but sales are flat. It's a growth company mainly owned by capital investers. I think there was a plan to cash out around now, but then the downturn kind of spoiled it. My guess is that they want to trim stuff up so profits look better, and then sell it off. They have had their money tied up for quite a while so I do sort of understand. We are fairly big, so I think if somebody bought the company it could actually be a very good opportunity (depending on the buyer of course).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What to do with my job?’ is closed to new replies.