Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What to do with cracked frame?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Recycle? Repair&Ride? Anyone want it?XL Rocky Mountain Vertex 30 Frame

kiwijohn

2 of mine are cracked, still riding them. Hard.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d repair them if they were repairable, wouldnt be riding them cracked – that’s just stupidity (assuming it isnt a superficial crack, which few are). Give it to me, I’ll test to see if its a superficial crack 😉

martyntr
    Free Member

What to do with cracked frame?

Throw it away, teeth can be very expensive

justme
    Free Member

how old is it? rm have a 5 year warranty if its less than that contact the shop you bought it from or silverfish they replaced my 31/2year old ets with no probs

franki
    Free Member

mieszko
    Free Member

You can always have it welded, maybe a nice gusset to make it stronger and than use it as a commuter. I wouldn’t want to ride a cracked frame off road, as it would probably fail big time with my luck and than I would have to count in the cost of new teeth 🙂 Again if You are not that heavy and it`s a small crack in the frame not in the headtube area than it should be ok for commuting when welded.

hillsplease

Warranty claim or bin.

Thus far for me, of 8 broken frames/ swing arms I have had 7 warranty replacements and had to buy 1 new.

If the frame has cracked on 1 weld it begs the question what has happened to the others, in my view.

As an XL rider it’s just an occupational hazard, unfortunately.

mudshark
    Free Member

Ebay it with photo of crack

clubber
    Free Member

(YGM)…

theflatboy
    Free Member

i cracked a trek frame once, it was a couple of years old. spoke to the shop where it was from and trek sorted me a new one in a matter of days.

Albanach
    Free Member

Afraid I am quite heavy – 17.5 stone…so maybe a weld wouldn’t be the best idea!?

Silverfish wouldn’t warranty it due to “not enough seat post in the seat tube” and a crash replacement was too expensive.

Clubber you got mail!

clubber
    Free Member

As I replied having seen the pic, it’s dead – the crack isn’t just across the weld – it’s gone into the tube which is too thin to weld without weakening it further.

I’d speak to Silverfish (RM distributors) and see what they say – they may well offer you a cheap replacement if it’s out of warrantee.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What to do with cracked frame?’ is closed to new replies.