Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What to do with concrete paving slabs
  • mildred

I’m in the process of completely revamping the back garden and now have about 26 concrete slabs (horrible grey council slabs). What shall I do with them? Need to get rid but wondered how. A skip is not an option and I can’t get a big enough van around the back for a dumpit site trip.

jam-bo

Handball them to the car, take them to the tip. Don’t put too many in at once.

gnusmas

Whereabouts are you? Someone might want them. I know a friend is looking for some if your anywhere near Carmarthen.

brewking
    Free Member

Will you be charged at the tip for that?

Break them up and use as hardcore base possibly if you are planning something like that.

Will probably go quickly on Gumtree/Freecycle.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Give them away? You could advertise on your local Facebook page, gumtree or newsagent

mlbaker
    Free Member

eBay, starting for £1. Someone will have them or at least some of them. Better than landfill

jam-bo

I’d pay the money at the tip to not have to deal with gumtree goons wanting them delivered…

sarawak
    Free Member

Offer them in your local paper/freecycle. Free if collected.
    You could also try local allotments – your council will have a list on their website – again free if collected. Allotment folk always want flags.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve had quite a few from Facebook for projects around the garden. If they are in usable condition stick them on there and someone will take them. Just be clear in the description, remind people they are heavy and do some subtle vetting of the responses

mrsheen
    Free Member

Alpine garden or arrange in a grid with a gap every other slab then use the heat of the slabs to grow Mediterranean herbs.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Stick em on Gumtree – people are queuing up for cheap/free paving slabs.

CheesybeanZ

Freecycle , find your local group , make sure you put collection only tho .

russyh
    Free Member

I got the same issue, I’m off to the top tomorrow! Car likely vastly overloaded

jamesoz

Good luck, Reading tip charges by the bag for rubble. Could be expensive.

bigfoot
    Free Member

tips charging and they wonder why people fly tip. luckily my local tips dont charge for anything, downside is i have a van so need a permit.

TiRed

I’d second free cycle. When we moved I there was a tonne and a half of sharp sand on the drive. A kind man brought his trailer shovelled it away and swept the drive clean.

Someone will want them.

Greybeard
    Free Member

What size are they? More likely to find somebody who want 2′ x 2′ than 3′ x 2′ (63kg each).

mildred

Will give freecycle, gumtree et al a try – and yes, having lifted and moved them all by hand they’re bloody heavy!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

If you were in mid Wales I’d have them.

mildred

In Notts unfortunately.

timba
    Free Member

If you’ve got space stack them out front with a “Help Yourself” note

jimmy

I gave a load away a few years ago through Gumtree. Was told afterwards I could have sold them but just needed rid of them. Some guys came in a knackered old astra van, loaded up and drove 12 miles along the bypass 5 times. Was waiting for the van to go pop with every slab.

russyh
    Free Member

No charges at my local Tip for Rubble? Or at least there has not been for the last few years and there wasn’t last week.

kayak23

Local allotments x2

CountZero
    slowoldman

Save them for when you need to build a patio.

welshfarmer

[strong]slowoldman[/strong] wrote:

Save them for when you need to build a patio.

Is he getting married soon?

jamesoz

tips charging and they wonder why people fly tip. luckily my local tips dont charge for anything, downside is i have a van so need a permit.

It’s infuriating, they also only allow 5 litres of engine oil. My car takes 7 litres and I tend to fill a big container as I hate going to the tip. I just turn up every known again and they get shitty claiming it’s trade waste. Thankfully the oil is pouring by the time they notice.

mildred

These were my patio; council slabs on a 300 year old house looked shite. Replacing them with stone.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What to do with concrete paving slabs’ is closed to new replies.