Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What to do with acorns?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

We have a few oak trees overhanging our garden and they drop acorns each year but this year they are doing overtime. We filled a big green wheelie bin with acorns which was collected as green waste, we then refilled it last weekend and need to wait 2 weeks for the next collection but we have enough acorns to half fill it again already.

Has anyone got any good ideas* for what to do with them?

*No, we cannot release some pigs for pannage

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Feed then to the squi. ….ah, no

maccruiskeen

brew your own fuel

RustyNissanPrairie

Surely even just taking them somewhere and doing nothing more than throwing them on the ground is better than throwing them out as garden waste? Or better still plant them?

I’m collecting them on doggo walks and have planted loads of them.

Spring clean

^page6

timba
    Free Member

Make acorn coffee

martinhutch

Reconsider pigs, for a variety of reasons.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Surely even just taking them somewhere and doing nothing more than throwing them on the ground is better than throwing them out as garden waste? Or better still plant them?

The green waste wheelie bin we use goes to recycling as fertilizer so is not wasted. It is not the general waste wheelie bin.

For a couple of years we swept them up – garden is part patio – and tipped them into the woodland behind the garden. Unfortunately this became a series of piles of acorns as they built up on the areas of the floor that didn’t ‘absorb’ them. Compost bins were also no use as we filled six with oak leaves and acorns in the first autumn we were here and ended up just emptying and throwing away the uncomposted results 3 years later.

Plant them? Can you suggest what to do with 6,000,000 oak saplings? If you want some then I can give you 20-30 in the spring that will have self set, just for the cost of postage.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

That brew your own fuel / food video might be worth a try. Depends how many acorns I can be bothered to peel though

Bruce

If you leave them the squirels will eat some and bury others, what you need are more squirels.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If you leave them the squirrels will eat some and bury others, what you need are more squirrels.

What actually happens is the squirrels realise that your garden plants taste nicer and are laid out in nicer feeders (plant pots). These feeders are great for burying the acorns that you do find too, you just have to eat half the plant and then dig out the remainder. Feel free to leave the dead plant and spare dirt in a pile scattered around the plant pots. If you can’t find plant pots you can do much the same with the ornamental plants in the ground too.

maccruiskeen

Can you suggest what to do with 6,000,000 oak saplings?

Whatever it is I think I’m bored enough to watch you do it 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

“are you bored enough to watch my live steam of an acorn (maybe) growing into an oak tree?”

To be honest stranger things have become internet sensations. You could even develop a barnd from areyouboredenough.com

bfw

Piglet eats ‘haycorns’…

slowol

Here you go. Make sure you check on here as to which grinder to use.

How to make Acorn Coffee

First product from ‘are you bored enough ‘?

More long term projects include growing trees for the next generation of naval ships…

kayak23

Do an acorn-encapsulated resin kitchen floor like they do with pennies or that table you done?

Added benefit to you of messing with the heads of any indoor squirrels.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Catapult…… A big catapult

IdleJon

Piglet eats ‘haycorns’…

I can smell bacon sarnies..

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I remember Ray Mears making some kind of stodgy acorn bread a good few years back. Might be able to find it on YouTube

andylc
    Free Member

If you can be arsed to take them there, Leeds are after them to help them plant 5 million trees…!

csb

Do they burn?

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you take out only the good acorns, are you left with the bcorns?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Plant them? Can you suggest what to do with 6,000,000 oak saplings? If you want some then I can give you 20-30 in the spring that will have self set, just for the cost of postage.

A friend actually does this, dons a high vis vest of invisibility and goes out to collect all the fallen over plastic tubes from the saplings on the bypass (reducing plastic waste, good deed #1). Plants a few hundred acorns in small pots in the autumn. Then put his invisibility high-vis back on in the spring and plants them all around the perimeter of parks, green spaces, etc.

He actually got accosted by the council parks and rec guys, they said it was fine as long as the gaps between them were wide enough to get their tractor/mower through and as long as it looked tidy and no one complained then they’d be left alone.

scruff9252

A friend actually does this, dons a high vis vest of invisibility and goes out to collect all the fallen over plastic tubes from the saplings on the bypass (reducing plastic waste, good deed #1). Plants a few hundred acorns in small pots in the autumn. Then put his invisibility high-vis back on in the spring and plants them all around the perimeter of parks, green spaces, etc.

He actually got accosted by the council parks and rec guys, they said it was fine as long as the gaps between them were wide enough to get their tractor/mower through and as long as it looked tidy and no one complained then they’d be left alone.

This is brilliant.

dyna-ti

Do an acorn-encapsulated resin kitchen floor like they do with pennies or that table you done?

Might find that acorns break down/rot/germinate due to the moisture in them.

gecko76

… a few oak trees overhanging our garden and they drop acorns each year but this year they are doing overtime…

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/sep/25/autumn-uk-milder-season-flora-fauna?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

frankconway

Spray paint them gold or silver and sell as christmas decorations.
    Find someone who makes pot pourri and become their acorn supplier.

Ambrose

I’ve collected loads, enough to give each child a sapling when they leave the school at the end of Year 11. The school eco-club will be planting and nurturing them as they grow.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I’ve collected loads, enough to give each child a sapling when they leave the school at the end of Year 11. The school eco-club will be planting and nurturing them as they grow.

I have a full size green wheelie bin full of nothing but acorns sat on the drive and enough to fill another one on the patio and lawn – How big is your school?

desperatebicycle

Turn them into beautiful (?) works of art?

Ambrose

@WCA, only about 600 pupils. I have a lot of spare acorns. Do you want some?

aP
    Free Member

I now have Acorn Art coming up in my Pinterest feed thanks to this thread.
    Couldn’t you attach a seed drill and a hopper filled with acorns to one of your outlandish cars and do some speed planting? Maybe pitch the idea to Amazon Prime…

funkmasterp

Make a massive acorn from all the normal sized acorns. I’m bored enough to watch you do it!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Couldn’t you attach a seed drill and a hopper filled with acorns to one of your outlandish cars and do some speed planting?

My outlandish cars are both up for sale if you want to try it

https://nclarksouthampton.wixsite.com/kleemannslk
    https://nclarksouthampton.wixsite.com/z300s

kayak23

Might find that acorns break down/rot/germinate due to the moisture in them.

I should have included a 😉 it seems.

timba
    Free Member

I should have included a (;) it seems

You were right not to, after all, who doesn’t want a sustainable oak floor?
    Which, in a nutshell, is what you’d get

mattsccm
    Free Member

With a bit of smart work on social media you could flog them to the local kids who could then have battles with them. Going by the fuss my teachers made when we did this (and it was 50 years ago when who cared about “safety”?) it must have been a fun thing to do. I repeatedly bollocked several kids at scholl yesterday for the same thing. Horrid little sods were stealing them from the piles that the “good” kids were sweeping up for me.They could have found their own!
    Three 9 year olds filled two large wheel barrows in one playtime. Thats just one tree.

csb

Masssive paddling pool and bingo you’ve got your own acorn ball pool.

singletrackmind

Watch the film called The Great Escape.
    Knock up some troos with acorn depositing pockets.
    Go for a walk every day into the New Forest.
    Lure every wild boar, pig, x squirrel to your baited area.
    Then, after a week set a a trap with a cargo net.
    Hey presto. Wild boar for dinner, for weeks.
    Solves the combined problem of too many acorns, and the cpst of eating crisis.
    Your welcome

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.