Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What to do with a broken dropper?
  • monkeyboyjc

My brand X dropper broke the other day (no longer returns at all) and CRC warrantied it with replacement vouchers, but they don’t want the broken post back.

Is it worth ebaying it?

TheBrick
    Free Member

what size?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Spares or repairs.

reeksy

Shit yeah. There’s always someone who needs the parts.

zerocool

Can you put a new cartridge in it? I guess it depends what’s broken.

cookeaa

I’ll give you a tenner for it just so I can pull it apart out of mechanical curiosity…

nickjb
    Free Member

Yep, sell it. My last two droppers came as spares or repairs. One fixed just fine, the other loses a little air but only needs topping up every few months so I can live with it. If it 30.9 I’d be interested 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

That was my plan and first question motivation

ads678

I’d just pull it apart and use it as a training exercise trying to fix it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Put me in line if you can’t shift it.

What size?

I got my first dropper from here as someone’s broken one. Fixed it, still using it.

cookeaa

5 minutes on google helps:

If it’s like most of the other BX posts it’s basically got a sealed gas strut inside, odds are this is the point of failure and CRC/wiggle don’t seem to carry the spare, the post itself is just a re-badged Trans-X, the same design is sold under a few other brands and you might be able to find that Gas strut/cartridge part.

This might work but at ~£75 with postage it’s not really much less than a new BX post in the sales…

Or Direct from Trans-X, not much different price wise, I’d shop about…

Anyone buying it expecting to repair it will struggle to fix it without that specific part, which potentially makes the whole exercise a bit uneconomic (so I’m not surprised CRC don’t want it back). I don’t know what it’s really worth to anyone unless they’ve scuffed an outer tube…

But like I said, just have it apart to poke about for fun.
    It’s worth disassembling before you chuck it on eBay, at least then you’ll know what’s actually failed and if it’s an easy fix or not.

Or I’m wrong, that sealed unit is fine and its just gotten full of dirt and grit, and bound up on the keyways? and just needs a good clean and re-grease, in which case opening it is a piece of piss OP:

honourablegeorge

AFAIK, it uses a Wintek cartridge, like a lot of brands – OneUp sell them for ~60 Euro.

https://eu.oneupcomponents.com/products/v2-dropper-replacement-small-parts

nickjb
    Free Member

Anyone buying it expecting to repair it will struggle to fix it…

Or I’m wrong

Such is the joy of buying spares or repair. I think I’m generally ahead. Most things I’ve bought like that have been easier to repair than expected. A few things have been beyond me and gone in the bin or back on ebay. Usually worth a gamble and way better than stuff going straight to landfill.

cookeaa

Yeah it’s quite funny really, I’m still using an X-fusion Hilo I bought in 2011, so it’s nearly a decade old and has been on numerous bikes, it’s completely user serviceable, uses regular fork oil, air from a shock pump and I’m still able to buy replacement seal kits for about ~£25ish…
    Effectively its an “open bath” dropper if you like, it’s no more complex than a late 90’s Marzocchi fork.
    If I’d been too scared to open my dropper, I’d have probably bought 4 or 5 replacements by now so it’s saved me ~£500 over the last decade… at least that’s my logic.

By using a sealed Gas strut they have simplified the manufacture of that Trans-X/BX post. but essentially they’ve made it non-user serviceable, you can take all the care you like to grease the bushes, fit a guard to keep crud off of it, etc, etc. but if that gas strut goes it’s useless…

Progress innit.

Anyway my generous offer of a tenner still stand OP, save you those ebay fees 😉

derms
    Free Member

I’ve just taken mine apart – actually very easy to do.

Unfortunately the air cartridge is gone in mine – so on the off chance that this isn’t the thing that’s broken from yours I’d buy it off you

mountainman

Ok lads so a question for ye, Both my droppers appear to have a small amount of rotation in them ,is this just something loose inside or a common thing ?

nickjb
    Free Member

Depends how small. All droppers (IME) have a little play. It’s inevitable from the mechanism, that needs to be loose enough to freely move up and down. Some.more than others. A few mm at the saddle nose is normal, 5mm+ might point to something a bit worn

derms
    Free Member

Mountainman, i think a little is normal. For my brand x one I had huge amounts of play one – this is caused by the ‘keys’ wearing down. can replace these pretty cheap

monkeyboyjc

It’s the cartridge that’s gone and it’s 30.9

I’ll stick it in the ads here first before eBay…..

tabletop2
    Free Member

they are the same as koryak posts. When i contacted CRC for service manual they sent me the manual for koryak so im pretty sure this is the bit you need if you wanted to fix it for 30 quid

https://www.deporvillage.net/pro-koryak-seat-post-airoil-cartridge-silver?gclid=CjwKCAjwlbr8BRA0EiwAnt4MTmMHAFNvx3xCApDtQNjMqbsKKrjIcVWZYZ6GiyOrE3qIsbcmBuCa4hoCtV0QAvD_BwE

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What to do with a broken dropper?’ is closed to new replies.