Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What to do in Wolverhamton ???
  • Earl
    Free Member

I’m going to find myself up there tomorrow day and night with the kids – without bikes.

What is worth doing/seeing/eating???

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Daytrip to brum on train.
    Daytrip to RAF Cosford
    Daytrip to Black Country Museum

Either of above.

lunge

Malvern Rider has it.

I’d be getting the train out of Wolvo and into Brum (under 30 mins, not very much money). That way you open up Think Tank, BMAG, the new library and they could also get involved in the Big Sleuth.

If you do want to stay close, Cosford is as good as anywhere, The Black Country Museum is also awesome but will be busy this time of year.

I can;t really help re. food, the only place I eat in Wolvo is the Grain store but that’s a pub. Hickory’s is newly opened and worth a look, albeit you’ll need to drive there.

somouk
    Free Member

Where in Wolvo are you staying?

As above, black country museum could be worth a trip, RAF Cosford isn’t too far away. Head to the retail park in Wednesfield if you want a few shops and a cinema with some places to eat.

There is the metro which isn’t running from Wolvo city centre at the moment but just down the road and that will take you in to Birmingham and you can then do sealife centre and all sorts.

Forgot the food bit.. There is a pan asian buffet place called Cosmo in Wednesfield by the cinema, a nice burger place called ‘the burger priest’ in the town and if you like Indian the Penn Tandoori is nice.

Earl
    Free Member

Hey thanks folks – That black country museum looks good to me.

I’m staying in the Novotel on the ring road (next to the (West Midland Probation Service building???). I assume a evening walk into the centre of town for food is a good idea?

somouk
    Free Member

There isn’t really that many food places in the town centre that are any good. You are walking distance from it though.

LeeW

I wouldn’t….

Blists hill is a good alternative to the BC museum.

aP
    Free Member

Ah, my old practice did that building, and the courts building (the model of which we exhibited at the Royal Academy).
    Severn Valley railway in Bridgnorth?
    Blists Hill/ Ironbridge & Gorge
    I assume that the Batham’s 8 is out of the question?

lunge

I assume that the Batham’s 8 is out of the question?

The Batham’s 8 is never out of the question.

Earl
    Free Member

Batham’s 8 – is that a good pub for food and to spend the night?

The Britannia Inn looks closest

Pieface

Wow I haven’t been back to Wolverhampton for 16 years, and looking at the above it doesn’t look like I’ve missed much. West Park was / is(?) quite good as city parks go.

Himley Hall or Baggeridge Country park could be worth a visit, Sedgley beacon for some rural hill walking (spent many a christmas day walks up there). Kinver Edge is good for a day out, as are the canals near there. If you like fishing there’s a nice stillwater at Himley, and the Canals around Wombourne are ok too.

aracer
    Free Member

Go and see the wolves http://www.wolvesinwolves.co.uk/

aP
    Free Member

Sorry – the Batham’s 8 is 8 pubs…. I’ll leave it at that.
    The Great Western in Star Street is a proper pub, it serves specialities such as “gray pays and bacon”, and has outdoor seating and a conservatory. That’s walkable.
    I used to go in The Posada when at the Corp, I don;t know if they’ve carefully restored the Victorian insides now or not, but that was nice (opposite the Art Gallery – which has one of the best collection of Pop Art in the country outside of London).

Pieface

There’s an art gallery in town, as well as opportunities to score

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/1b87208c-2afb-49e6-ac35-fcfbf4200fe2

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

If you are at the Black Country Museum they do (did?) have a traditional chippy but I’d be mightily tempted towards Great Bridge High St Chippy for the legendary orange chips. A bag of ‘leaf’ scratchings from the butchers to go with some takeout Bathams later that eve and yowm sorted ayet.

somouk
    Free Member

There is the pie factory not too far away and that’s not too bad for a family meal.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Museum above
    The corked house pub to watch the marbles roll uphill

z1ppy

except they only sell casseroles with lids, not actual pies!

(EDIT: replying to the pie factory recommendation)

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

What ever you do get out of wolvo! 😆

If you have any interest in planes / Cold War then Cosford is well worth a visit!

sargey

Miller and carter on the Penn road or Pigot arms in Pattingham if you want to drive for food.
    There are couple of decent curry houses in town or zorbas Greek restaurant for some plate smashing.
    The bathams eight is now ten soon to be eleven as they are opening one in hagley, what will the posh people say 😀

globalti
    Free Member

I was going to recommend a visit to Snapes tea shop but I see that it’s gone the same way as all other good old family businesses. 🙄

Does anybody still brew Springfield Bitter? I almost cry when I pass the ruined M&B brewery in the train. I must have given a substantial part of my grant to the brewery.

lunge

The bathams eight is now ten soon to be eleven as they are opening one in hagley, what will the posh people say

My mate, a very well to do gent who lives in Hagley, says it’s the best thing that has ever happened there, he’s overjoyed.

perchypanther
    Free Member

What to do in Wolverhamton ???

Take a good , long, hard look at the “Welcome to Wolverhampton” sign and try and pick up some spelling tips?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Wolverhamton ???’ is closed to new replies.