What to do in Swindon?

Home Forum Chat Forum What to do in Swindon?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What to do in Swindon?
  • allthepies

Gnarl it up in the woods behind Nationwide.

ski

Magic roundabout?

Definately bring a bike, not much else to do round here and the road and light off-road is actually pretty good, lots of nice countryside within easy reach

MrTricky

Trails round here are pretty good at the moment. Lots of choices for routes and plenty of places nearby to visit if you’d rather do something other than cycling. Unlike more ‘trendy’ areas you’ll find plenty to do to keep you busy so ignore the negative comments. What other things are you into?

Premier Icon huckleberryfatt
    Subscriber

Visit the National Self Build and Renovation Centre. Then … nope that’s all I’ve got.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

BIKE – pref gravel/rigid/XC

The countryside to the south is rammed with beautiful tracks and bridleways. Non tech but really pleasant riding.

I’m back there again next week, I can show you around whilst there’s still some light if you like?

Premier Icon DavidB
    Subscriber

Pubs: The Hop, Tuppeny, The Glue Pot for a most excellent pint. Happy to meet you for one or two if you’re not weird.

Cinemas: Three of them, Greenbridge, Regents Circus, West Swindon

The Victoria; for live music

Restaurants: Moshan Island Grill for a decent caribbean meal. Helen Brownings for a feast of meat. Chani Dosa for dead cheap Indian street food. The Bank for a well cooked three course dinner. Kenzos is expensive but decent.

Entertainment: The pissed/stoned Rasta does a lot of singing in/near Weatherspoons (The Savoy) most days. Coate Water nice for a walk. The Oasis is dreadful but a must visit (if it is still open). The Steam Museum is pretty good and you can buy some tat at the Outlet Village.

If anyone tells you to go to Wootton Bassett, don’t.

dragon

The road riding around the is great the mtb a lot less so. Head of into the Cotswolds for some lovely road rides.

There are a few alright pubs like the Glue Pot. Not much else really.

Helen Brownings for a feast of meat.

Also worth dropping in to see Tim and co at the Royal Oik in Bishopstone. Nice place to stop mid/post ride for a swift one. Average beer, excellent pub.

beefheart

I’m going to be working in Swindon for a few weeks.
    What is there to do?
    Is it worth taking a bike?

Premier Icon grtdkad
    Subscriber

M4 / A419 / A417 / M5 / A449 = the Malverns

oldnpastit

You could always go and visit the Leigh Delamere services.

Be careful though. It can get quite weird there.

DanW

Take the bike. You’ll want to leave as much as possible.

You think it’s a joke now, but just wait

Plenty of MTB rides to keep you entertained and a few local groups to tag along with

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Happy to ride with anyone else who is up for it too btw 🙂

lots of nice countryside within easy reach

and its relatively empty as, fortunately, the Swindonians tend to stay in Swindon.

I used to live nearby hence my moniker.

Lots of nice villages and nice village pubs nearby in Bishopstone, Aldbourne, Ramsbury, Avebury, Liddington, Ashbury etc etc.

If you like history and pre-history visit Avebury and West Kennet Long Barrow

Road biking is good and MTBing on the downs whilst not technically demanding is very enjoyable and if you choose a good route you get a real wilderness feel in Wiltshire.

The Old Town is pleasant enough. Stay out of any district that ends in hill e.g. Toothill and Penhill.

Cote Water and Lydiard Parks are good for a wander with the family.

The Science museum at Wroughton is well worth a visit if there is an open day on (also that’s where the Top Gear test track is).

If you like ice hockey go see the Swindon Wildcats.

As Dame Edna Everage said about Switzerland- “its very central, in half an hour you can be somewhere interesting”. Well Swindon is very central, in one hour you can be parked up in the middle of Bristol, Cheltenham, Bath, Salisbury or Oxford.

natrix

The Science museum at Wroughton is well worth a visit if there is an open day on (also that’s where the Top Gear test track is).

Science museum at Wroughton is closed to the public and it is not where the Top Gear test track is. This is what living up on the downs does to you. 😆

If you can’t meet up with molgrips for a ride then get in touch with this bunch http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/

Art Centre in Old Town is worth a look if you like art’n stuff like that.

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Top Gear test track is (soon to be a massive housing estate) Dunsfold Aerodrome in Surrey.

Grand Tour test track is Swindon way though.

mrblobby

As has been said, lots of good road riding, most of the off road is bridleway type riding. Bring a road or CX bike.

Science museum at Wroughton is closed to the public and it is not where the Top Gear test track is. This is what living up on the downs does to you.

I know the museum is closed to the public but I said in my post

The Science museum at Wroughton is well worth a visit if there is an open day on

I know there are open days as I’ve been on one.

I may have lived in Wiltshire but I can still read

OK I meant Grand Tour test track not Top Gear

natrix

I know there are open days as I’ve been on one

Many many moons ago there were open days, but not any more (or in the foreseeable future) as the hangars are considered to be too dangerous for public access. Pity as it would be a great place to visit (provided the roof didn’t fall down on you 😯 )

Were you ever in the Downlanders?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.