What to do in Singapore?

Home Forum Chat Forum What to do in Singapore?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What to do in Singapore?
  • ruffride

Lol I wonder ? What is there to do

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

Night safari at the zoo is good, so is the science museum. Have a wander around China town. A walk on the Grand Prix circuit. Cocktail in one of the rooftop bars with views across the city.

Premier Icon crispo
    Subscriber

Clarke quay for some happy hour beers is a good laugh, the area around there is so vibrant. Go eat at one of China towns hawker markets after.

We did the hop on and off bus tour, explored the botanic gardens, little India, orchard road etc. Just wander around the downtown waterfront near marina bay, amazing in the evenings.

We went to raffles for a Singapore sling, I know it’s cliched and pricey but it was the best cocktail I’ve ever had!

brant

Eat at the Hawker Food Courts.
    Proper good food for low price with nice people.

Did Raffles last night.

Had a couple of pints of Tiger waiting for some workmates to show up before I checked the menu. £12 a pint! Glad I didn’t get a couple of halves, they were £11 each!

Still had a couple of Singapore Slings mind, very goo but £14 a go.

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

Changi village was good, but that was 40 years ago. Tiger Balm gardens?

I am out working in Singapore at the moment and it looks like I will have sometime off over the weekend.

Any suggestions and recommendations on what touristy type things I can do?

Orchard towers!!! All four floors!!! Obviously just for a look.
    My good friend woke up the day after our big night there missing his brand new Rolex.

argoose

DO NOT chew gum!

Jurong bird park but mainly, eat!

DO NOT eat bread with poppy seeds! It could result in the death penalty! 😯

Not been for a good few year but give Jumbo’s a go for some first rate crab. Its proper get a bib on and get stuck in with your fingers stuff. I’ve also had Jellyfish somewhere near there. Unusual to say the least. Also if you really want to try some other rank local delicacies just so you can say you’ve done it, try some Durian fruit. Its unique to say the least.

And for nightlife…as already suggested, you’ve got plenty of time to experience the four floors! You can’t leave Singapore without having had a look. Muddy Murphies opposite is a good Irish bar too.

Oh yeh! Black Pepper Crab! And and and Soft shell crab!

boltonjon

chrisdiesel
    Orchard towers!!! All four floors!!! Obviously just for a look.
    My good friend woke up the day after our big night there missing his brand new Rolex.

Keep away from the 5th floor – they’ve all got big hands 🙁

Premier Icon thetallpaul
    Subscriber

Get hold of a Rough Guide/Lonely Planet. There is so much to do that you will have problems choosing.
    In 2006 Mrs TTP and I spent a couple of days there on the way to NZ.
    We had a beer in Raffles, but as the Singapore Slings were pre-made we went over the road and had the best cocktails in a little bar looking at the hotel at a fraction of the cost.
    Harbour Boat trip, food, Sentosa Island, food, shopping (we didn’t find it that cheap), food.
    There was a micro-brewery near the Fullerton Hotel that was nice.
    Little India was fun. Never been served curry by a topless man before.

We really enjoyed Singapore and would go again, but spend more time there.

Premier Icon spxxky
    Subscriber

Cross the causeway into Malaysia (Johor) – much more interesting!

Eat at the Hawker Food Courts.

Maxwell FTW!

The crab? Oh yes, the crab…! Long Beach up at Dempsey is my fave for that.

Also, food related – Din Tai Fung is a MUST! As is sipping beer at Brotzeit upstairs afterwards, as Ben of this parish will attest to…

Other than that, SIN always feels a little sterile to me. Like Canary Wharf with the death penalty. My weekends there were either sitting by the hotel pool, or the occasional trip to Sentosa. Zoo’s worth a punt, though.

rogg

Like Canary Wharf with the death penalty

Nail on the head! It’s great for a short visit, but god I wouldn’t want to live there. No real edge to it at all, very conservative.

Where to go in addition to what others have said – give Sim Lim Square/Tower a go for all your tech needs, and try Bugis Market for cheap tat if you’re buying presents for back home.

Premier Icon paladin
    Subscriber

Clark quay, boat quay etc worth a walk, but very expensive. China town brilliant for food and beer, sit outside and watch the world go by.

Changi not really worth it unless you happen to be there already. Too many Brits there.

Hire yourself an mtb and go ride @ Bukit Timah NR (you can ride out from the town centre if you’re feeling brave enough to tackle the traffic)

The main trail is just a case of following your nose but there’s nice sneaky stuff in there as well (needs local knowledge)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Singapore?’ is closed to new replies.