Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What to do in portsmouth this friday night?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Coming down for national bike week event on Saturday, can anybody recommend somewhere for good food that’s not too pricey and to get a drink. It’s at southsea skatepark so I think we are staying near there.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Avoid Guildhall area unless you want to be pit deep in fighting naval peeps and minging women. 😆

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Or go to the Guildhall square and treat it as a safari.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Hmm. That might suit my partner in crime but sounds like something I’d rather avoid.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, stay in Southsea – plenty of restaurants around the Albert Road area. Haven’t eaten down there for years (apart from the occasional curry) so can’t recommend anywhere specifically.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Mojito Joes on the front (literally overhanging the beach) is good and almost opposite the skate park. Cheap and cheerful 🙂

That’s actually Mozzarella Joes 😮

http://www.mozzarellajoes.co.uk/

DezB
    Free Member

What is happening at the skate park anyway?

bikebouy
    Free Member

GunWharf.

Lots to choose from eats wise then take a gander at the (ahem) girls* queuing up to get in nightclubs.

* you view do girls might be different to mine.

DezB
    Free Member

Someone just recommended Gunwharf! For looking at Portsmouth girls! 😯

convert

I was at Gunwarf at about 7 on Saturday night. I counted 7 hen parties already. Between them you’d have been pushed to find a dress that effectively covered thier nether regions! Plenty restaurants if that’s what you want though.

If staying overnight make it down to the tenth hole further along the beach (its the cafe of the pitch and putt) for breakfast a massive slice of cake.

m0rk
    Free Member

Bring your MTB and come up to QE for an evening ride!

Pompey is crap unless as mentioned above you like matelots and slags

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Please post details of your bike event.

There is more to the the South Downs than QE.

And I’d avoid Gunwharf; though that may be what you’re looking for.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i think mOrk is spot on, if you want a quick fix but don’t know the area QE park is the place to go and easy from pompey.

gunwharf, sod booze, go shopping! its a retail outlet village. vans, gap, oakley, fatface et al. serious bargains can be had… if you are lucky.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Old Portsmouth is good for a couple of descent pubs, not sure about food round there. Southsea has quite a different vibe compared to Portsmouth. Possibly a bit more cosmopolitan and studenty.
    Gunwharf on a weekend eve is like a farmers market. Ok if you like pigs and cows.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Don’t fall for the Outlet Bargains Scam…

The best thing about Gunwharf is is proximity to the train station and The Hard interchange so you can get the hell away from it quickly.

DrP

Don’t fall for the Outlet Bargains Scam…

Why’s it a scam?

It’s not cheap like Primark, but (for example) you can get a few ralph lauren shirts for about £30 each, which IS a bargain.

I got oakley radar for £60 per pair – couldn’t get the lenses online for that little!

DrP

slackalice
    Free Member

If you’re staying near the skate park, you are more in Southsea then Portsmouth. Head into Southsea, find Albert Road. If you like live music, the Wedgewood Rooms will doubtless have something going on. If you prefer repetitive beats, car alarms and air raid sirens, head for the Milton Arms. If you like a bar/bistro kinda thang, The Belle Isle on Osbourne Road is pretty good ( and often laden with totty to look at 😉 )

The place is more student orientated now than navy, so you’ll find plenty of entertainment!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Joanna’s
    (Just checked, seems to have died! Which is no bad thing!)

Head up to Eastleigh and go to Martine’s instead….

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

What’s on Saturday.
    We are providing the forest track. Probably the bikes too. Should be fun. As a rough and tough Scotsman the heat will probably break me so feel free to bring me an ice cream.
    I don’t think we’ll manage to get out for a ride, after driving down from Edinburgh I think we’ll be wanting grub and beer.

singletrackmind

iS there any cance you could bring me a bike from very near Edinburgh to Portsmouth?
    Drunken spectacular Ebay purchace , the guy might have couriered it already . if he hasnt and you can collect I can provide beer and cash
    for your trouble?

superfli
    Free Member

Lots of choice for good restaurants:
    Kitsch ‘n d’or
    Relentless
    Rosies
    Shorties

Albert Rd for drinks 1st+afters

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m afraid we won’t have any space for any more bikes. We’ll be taking as many bikes as we can for the track. Thanks for the recommendations. If we were to have time for a ride is it rideable from Portsmouth itself?

m0rk
    Free Member

Hours ride from Portsmouth to the south downs… 20 mins up the A3 in a car / van

Will you have bikes in the van overnight? Be v careful where you’re staying

cheekyboy
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Joanna’s
    (Just checked, seems to have died! Which is no bad thing!)

Head up to Eastleigh and go to Martine’s instead….

I attended several dancing courses in Joannas, failed everyone one of them !

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Isn’t Mark Webb from Portsmouth?
    Seek him out and go riding together…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjnMNvV4T4[/video]

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Oh my god is Martine’s still going? In Eastleigh its possible that the grandparents share the dance floor with their grandchildren by now.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You could always pop across to Gosport on the ferry to experience the HORROR that is Emma’s. 😯

sbd16v
    Free Member

You could always pop across to Gosport on the ferry to experience the HORROR that is Emma’s

hang on a min thats a fine establishment, many a night spent in there and Joanna’s 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Their velcro carpets are something else. Eurgghhh.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ll be popping down to Southsea with my boy for that bike event. Should be fun.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Come and say hello. I’ll be the young good looking one in a bike track people t shirt.

DezB
    Free Member

Will do 🙂

wheelie

A bit out of Portsmouth …http://www.boarhuntblues.com/

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What to do in portsmouth this friday night?’ is closed to new replies.