Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What to do in Helsingborg?
  • zilog6128

Piggybacking on the Mrs’ work trip next week, so got 2-3 days during which to entertain myself, then we’ve got 1 free day there together, then off to Copenhagen for a few days (went there last year also so got a pretty good idea about that area!)

I like cycling, and beer. 😀

I see there’s some random island that looks pretty cool (Landskrona) where you can rent their trademark yellow bikes, although possibly we’re not in the ideal location for easy access to that! (It is between Helsingborg & Malmö tho so I guess we’d have to travel past it to get to Copenhagen on the train, if it’s worth visiting 🤔)

mefty
    Free Member

Avoid seeing a ghost

IHN

If my experience of European (and especially northern European) towns is anything to go by, have a perfectly nice time just wandering around the clean, well-kept streets, looking at the clean, well-kept sights and/or strolling through the clean, well-kept parks. Occasionally stop in a selection of nice places for coffee/lunch/beer (where the service will be unfailingly excellent and the food delicious) and watch the healthy looking passers-by, and generally wonder where the UK gets it’s superiority complex from, when it’s demonstrably shitter than the rest of Europe

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    willard

Yeah, basically what IHN said, but with extras!

Kärnan (a proper castle) is probably worth a visit and there a fair few other places that this place recommends: https://www.guidebook-sweden.com/en/guidebook/municipality/helsingborgs-kommun. One place I intend to visit when I spend more time there than “just passing through” is visit the other castle: Kronborg. It’s in Denmark, but it really is just a short ferry ride away.

Beware! They talk funny down there.

thenorthwind

Have spent a bit of time there as used to work for Höganäs just up the coast. It’s a nice enough place, with some nice restaurants, but not a whole lot going on. Getting the boat across to Helsingor is a pleasant way to pass an afternoon, but there’s even less going on there.

mert
    Free Member

Ven is worth going to, did that a few years ago. It’s actually a really nice little island, and all walkable (or hire a bike).
    It’s got a load of Tycho Brahe stuff going on, couple of old observatories. You can, i think get a ferry to Helsingborg, or catch a train down to Landskrona and then catch a ferry from there.

DrJ

You can get the bus to Molle which is a nice seaside town and have a small hike to Nimis, which is a weird open air artwork.

squirrelking
    Free Member

They look like half finished legs, are you sure you weren’t in Helensburgh?

kennyp
    Free Member

Avoid seeing a ghost

My first thought too, but that’s actually Helsingor, a ferry trip away. My uncle told me, though I’ve never really trusted him since he stole my dad’s bike.

Watty

Correct. Helsingborg’s in Sweden and Helsingør’s in Denmark. The ferry, from what I can remember, is a bit like the Dover/Calais ferry used to be, as the booze is cheaper on the Swedish side (or is it the Danish side 🤔).

DrJ

Ven – you can also get a ferry from Copenhagen.

More excursion ideas – from Helsingør take the local train to Hornbæk, a beautiful seaside town that is a bit like you imagine your childhood might have been (but actually wasn’t).

Robz
    Free Member

If you do get the ferry to Denmark you could get a tattoo – Helsingør is home to Royal Tattoo, one of the most famous and very best Tattoo Shops in the world.

It’s also just a lovely town for a wander round and home to Kronborg castle.

zilog6128

just reminded to post an update after another thread! Thanks for the suggestions all (although didn’t get a tattoo this time 😂), had a great trip. Not loads of touristy stuff in Helsingborg at all (did it all in a morning really) but such a nice place to chill out in especially as the weather was great. Lovely wide cycle path all up & down the coast (which I will explore more next time) and loads of nice beaches etc.

Helsingør was nice, really good castle & town good for a wander although not massive. Great pub there too (Skum 😃) The ferry we took there & back was electric which was pretty cool!

Didn’t do Ven this time it turns out the direct ferry from Helsingborg only runs in the summer but will defo do it next time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.