• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What to do in and near Buxton, Derbyshire
  • swillybey
    Free Member

Greetings all.
    My girlfriend and I are leaving sunny Devon tomorrow morning (Tuesday) to spend 2 nights in Buxton. We are taking the mtbs and hope to do some decent routes on Wednesday and Thursday.

Any recommendations for decent rides of less than 20 miles in the peaks? Happy to drive for half an hour / 45 mins of Buxton to reach good spots. Pretty decent level of technical ability (Mrs rides at say red level) but would like some recommendations of half decent easy to follow routes. The dark peak sounds like our kind of riding.

Also, any recommendation on walks or other must does from Buxton to see the sights (if there are any).

Cheers!

samhay
    Free Member

Edale and Castleton are less than 30 min from Buxton, and Mam Torr Is closer still. All good start points for a Kinder Loop – there are various options.
    Second ride – something around Ladybower or perhaps Stanage if you want the scenery?

dc1988

Monsal trail could be a nice easy ride in place of a walk, you can also walk it but obviously won’t get as far

tuboflard

Castleton loop up Mam Tor, Hollins Cross, to Back Tor bridge, Jaggers Clough, Hope Cross back to Hope and either a road spin back to Castleton or an extension round the back of the cement works. Classic loop with great views, good pubs and cafes on the route or at the end. And a great bike shop in 18 Bikes in Hope if you start from there instead of Castleton.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Eyam is worth a stop or adding to a route (a small vilage with a quirky history). Bakewell is also nice. Chatsworth House is another to add to the list – i think there is a bridelway or small rd that goes through the grounds.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Drink the water?

dissonance

Drink the water?

The brewery produces some nice beers. Think they have a taproom.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Not really sure what the deal is post Covid….South 16 used to be a wicked place to eat/occasionally watch music. Brewery has a tap room by the Opera House, was always a cool place to visit. I’d guess the tap room has outdoors stuff available, not sure on other stuff. Riding wise others on here are far better qualified to comment. Chatsworth is good (currently parked up in my motorhome in Chatsworth for the night) Hathersage isnt that far and is a really cool little place. Looked like some decent options for food/drink there today.

tuboflard

Great curry house in Hathersage called Maazi. Doing outside dining at the moment too.

MoreCashThanDash

Royal Oak just down the road in Hurdlow does great food.

About half a mile from there is Tagg Lane Dairy – not sure if the little cafe is open but the ice cream from their Jersey herd is amazing.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Some nice mtb routes straight out of Buxton.

I’m from Taddington so a little out but if you need any routes then email me on iainjagger@gmail.com

ElShalimo

Buxton Brewery have a marquee for outdoor drinking

Get yourself a pint of Axe Edge

👍

jca

You could visit my parents! I’ve not been able to for the last year…

Sandwich

Chatsworth House is another to add to the list

Possibly not a place for the MTB ‘community’ to spend any money with the news story on the front page.

IHN

This is a good route you can start an end in Buxton, in fact that way it’ll end on a cracking descent

https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/NzM5NDY=

Bring a jumper, it’s always cold in Buxton. And, looking outside, a good cagoule…

BadlyWiredDog

Actually from Buxton rather than a drive away… some quite pleasant mountain biking, there’s a classic route that goes over / round Ladder Hill, drops into Taxal (Whaley Bridge fringes) then back above Errwood Reservoir and over the old road back into Buxton.

You can also walk up that way and loop around above Errwood through the Goyt Valley. It’s all pleasant, though not mega techy. There’s ace road riding too on mostly back roads. The big hill above Dove Holes is a cracking walk/run and just along the A6, you could walk from Buxton I think, but I’ve never done it.

Buxton itself makes for a pleasant urban meander – Pavilion Gardens and the Opera House all quite scenic.

The obvious sub-20 mile route with more tech if you do want to drive to start would probably be the Jacob’s Ladder / Roych Clough loop out of Hayfield – or anywhere else on the loop I guess. It’s the one that V-Publishing released for free as an all-weather route, but is just a very good, very Peak, ride. The V-Publishing guide book(s) are good if you want to make a return trip some time – download link:

http://peakdistrictmtb.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Peak-District-MTB-All-Weather-Route-Update-2020.pdf

IHN

there’s a classic route that goes over / round Ladder Hill, drops into Taxal (Whaley Bridge fringes) then back above Errwood Reservoir and over the old road back into Buxton.

Yup, that’s the one I linked to

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Have PMd you OP.

Perhaps you could send me your number and I’ll see if I can show you a good route.

swillybey
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Its been 4 degrees all day and has just finished snowing so a real treat.

Looks better tomorrow, fingers crossed!

IHN

Told ya 🙂

If you keep your eye on this thread there may well be an early evening ride heading out tomorrow from not very far away:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wanted-riders-south-lakes-or-peaks-👿-weekend-or-midweek/page/2/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What to do in and near Buxton, Derbyshire’ is closed to new replies.