What to cut out for losing weight?

• This topic has 72 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by  ac282.
Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • What to cut out for losing weight?
  • dannage

Smaller portions. Start doing T25 or Insanity!

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

Less bread.
    Less sitting stil.
    Less sugar.

Saying that my most successful weight loss was when I started powerlifting, oddly, and I was eating 4-4,500 calories a day.

stevetoze

From what I have learned over the years you have to create a sustainable lifestyle change rather that “just lose weight” If you are 10kg or more over weight then you need to be realistic in how you got to that point and change that first. If it’s because you work hard, eat crap and drink too much then naturally you’ll cut the drink and food but how about the work? Carry on the hard stressful work and you’ll probably revert back to the drink and eating crap and make no progress.

Also “eating less of everything” is idiotic. If you are riding and burning off 2000 calories and your basic metabolism requirements need 2000 then you need 4000 calories, you’ll struggle to eat this but if you weren’t overweight this is what you’d need to repair muscle damage and not feel like a zombie all day. Aim to eat 3500 calories and you’ll have a 500 calorie deficit. Do this every day and you’ll have a 3500 calorie deficit each week which should be about 1lb of body fat. This means in a month you lose around 2-3 kilos. This should be sustainable and allow for you to slip up every now and then.

Finally what I have learned is you need to be realistic, you can’t be Bradley Wiggins, it’s not a body shape most of us can sustain, even Bradley Wiggins probably struggles to sustain it. A good all round physique is far healthier and will lead to less injuries, weight training at least once a week with some running and swimming helps keep your core and upper body in shape, reduces injuries and the change in pattern from just always cycling has helped burn off body fat.

cheekyboy

Run a mile a day for a week ! increase this by a mile a week in 12 months you will be running 350 mile a week, you will be like a racing snake !

Remember where you heard it first!

trauty

completely cutt anything that contains white sugar. eat plenty fruit 5 a day is good start , avoid too much saturated fats . go for lean meat and plenty salads and vegetables for evening meals. make sure you have plenty fibre in your food also . my breakfasts are usually weetabix with milk + I add plenty berry fruit too. healthy fats – walnuts mix few in breakfast too .
    fat is very important . you cant eat just carbs n protein . its all about ballance.

igorl

Search for iDiet here. Lots of sensible advice to be found. Mostly sugar and high-glycemic index carbs.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

have you kept a food diary ? and an excercise diary to go with it? this will point out the flaw better than anything

the thing that catches me out is the snacks and unhealthy crap in the office

Lazgoat

Our entire household lost 10% of their weight when we stopped eating red meat. It took a few months which was fine as we weren’t trying to lose weight, just change of diet.

Premier Icon Clover
    Subscriber

Abel and Cole – swapped our veg box for the light recipe box. It’s not cheap but nothing gets wasted. It’s quite instructive how much veg you can eat in a meal if you have only have minimal carbs. Just had a big plate of shredded Spring greens with cod arrabiata – 329 calories. Don’t do it every day – just try and eat healthily the rest of the time and not too many calories from carbs except when training.

warton

eat more good fats, eat less carbs, don’t eat any processed carbs (bread, pasta etc) or sugar. You will lose weight.

jimjam – Member
    Sugar.

JimJam to the rescue. Why is the thread still open?

soobalias

sweets cakes chocolate crisps
    any drink with calories*
    bread potatoes pasta cheese

after that cutting portion sizes and you are a small step from existing on boiled fish and all but raw green veg

*alcohol contains essential oils

mikeep

Have a search for ‘ketogenic diet’. It basically focuses on adapting your body to burn fat as its primary fuel instead of carbohydrate/glycogen. Basically, how man was designed to be, eating fatty meat as a caveman instead of ground up indigestible grains (wheat) and processed sugar.

It would also allow you to eat loads of peanut butter too 🙂

surfer

Fat doesn’t make you fat. iDiet advice is pretty good and allows you to have the odd glass of wine which is realistic for those who enjoy alcohol (cutting out beer is easy for me would miss red wine)
    As above your diet will dictate your weight less so your activity level, unless you are extreme. I used to run 4 miles before work then 7-8 in the evening, all a good pace. I ate whatever wasn’t nailed down just to maintain my weight. I am 51 now so even running every day requires changes to my diet to keep my weight down (although I like to stay at quite a low weight)

surfer

Binders is on the money. 3 packets of sausage rolls instead of 4. Extreme I know

mikewsmith

Make food, avoid drinking calories, avoid cake crisps biscuits etc. Do more.

Don’t fixate on weight but body shape etc.

Nothing wrong with pasta and bread if your using them.

Best thing is understand a bit more.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

…less so your activity level, unless you are extreme.

A few people have made comments like this, so it is maybe worth pointing out that (as I understand it) the weight-loss benefit doesn’t just come from burning a few calories during the activity.

Your body responds to regular exercise by increasing the number of mitochondria you have. That speeds up your metabolism, which helps weight loss.

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

Is thread still open?

Losing fat isn’t complicated.

Eat less sugar and other refined carbs. (Also fruit isn’t necessarily your friend)
    Eat more healthy fats and protein.
    Cut out/back on alcohol.
    Lift weights.
    Throw out the scales, stupid bloody measurement. Take waist, thigh, chest measurements instead.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Sugar and foods that you body easily turns into sugar

So that’s pretty much all junk like sweets and crisps and chocolate.
    But also
    Pasta, white rice, potatoes and bread and juice.
    Alcohol is also basically sugar once your liver has dealt with it

Fat isn’t really the enemy – unless you are eating far too much of it sugar and refined carbs are where most of us get most of our calories from so is the easiest place to remove them.

I does’nt have to be totally drastic – simple stuff like if you make a curry or a spag-bol or a chilli then fill the plate with meat and sauce rather than rice or pasta. This goes a long way to cutting down the portion size and the amount of calories

completely cutt anything that contains white sugar. eat plenty fruit 5 a day is good start

So cut sugar intake, and increase sugar intake?

Got it.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Basically, how man was designed to be

Myth afaik. Hunter-gatherers eat lots of starchy foods.

Don’t fixate on weight but body shape etc

Not much use if you want to race bikes.

MrBlond

Hunter-gatherers eat lots of starchy foods.

Really? Like to share any examples?

footflaps

You could try the Twinkie diet…

In fact, as long as that deficit exists, you can eat anything you want (not recommended, just making a point) and you’d still lose weight just fine.

Yes, you can literally eat a diet comprised almost entirely of junk food – for example, Twinkies – and you’d still lose weight just fine as long as that caloric deficit exists.

Don’t believe me? Look no further than Mark Haub, the professor of nutrition at Kansas State University who followed a diet just like this (The Twinkie Diet) to prove this exact point, and lost 27lbs in 2 months.

Does this mean Twinkies are a superfood? No. It means a deficit alone is what causes fat loss, regardless of the foods being eaten.

Remember “The Twinkie Diet” from the example I gave earlier? The point-proving junk-food-filled diet that professor Mark Haub ate for 2 months to show that a caloric deficit was the sole cause of fat loss, regardless of the foods providing those calories?

Remember how he lost 27lbs during that time?

I bet you’re wondering what else happened during that time… in terms of his overall health.

Well…

Haub’s “bad” cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his “good” cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

So, let’s see.

He ate Twinkies. He lost weight. A variety of his health markers improved.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/superfoods/

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’d read articles in the past describing the different types of food that would have been eaten in different environments. Basically, humans ate whatever was around – in some areas, that was starchy food (stuff like cat-tail roots), in some areas that was mostly meat (like Eskimos). We’re adaptable, we can handle lots of different foods.

This article explains that there’s no such thing as an ‘original’ diet:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/3/665.long

However it does suggest that highly energy dense foods can cause problems ( obviously) and that’s something I’ve been saying in the thread. But this has nothing to do with the concept of people having been ‘designed’ or evolved to eat a specific diet.

footflaps

This article explains that there’s no such thing as an ‘original’ diet:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/3/665.long

Coming on here with your referenced articles, pissing on the Paleo diet fad. You should be ashamed. Everyone knows that red meat and ben & jerrys is the ultimate healthy diet.

PJ266

Nothing wrong with white rice, pasta, potatoes etc.

No need to count calories, just eat good stuff and exercise 😀

philjunior

I would say high GI foods. Don’t need to cut them out completely, but don’t ever use them to fill up – you’ll get a blood sugar then insulin spike and then feel hungry again as your blood sugar plummets.

I am very active, eat a tonne and am not fat. But I certainly could counteract my exercise with overeating (oddly this wasn’t the case when I started exercising this amount – I ate as much as I physically could and lost significant weight over the first few months).

No Booze. No processed carbs. No Sugar.

More protein. More Veg. More water. More exercise.

Work, sitting behind a **** desk all day is doing for me!

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Sorry, I should have said GL rather than GI. In other words, a small helping of high GI food is better than a massive plateful of medium GI food.

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

I eat lots of bread (5-6 slices of cheap white a day) lots of potatoes,crisps cake and cereal. I’ve been 75Kg for the last 25 years.
    Just saying it’s not what you eat.

Outdated “low fat diet” advice still pollutes most people’s thinking about what healthy eating is.

Most people in the UK could do with upping their protein intake and reducing their carb intake, and worrying less about their fat intake.

I went from 92kg to 75kg doing the following:

Cut baked goods, pasta, rice, fruit, beer, and sugary snacks.

Eat more eggs, meat, seafood, leafy greens.

Log your macros on MFP. Ignore their “recommended” macro proportions and aim for 1g of protein per kg of body weight while staying within their daily calorie limit. Easy if you weigh/log everything on the app. Log your exercise on MFP and eat back half of the calories you use exercising.

Get out of the “low fat” mindset and into the “low carb” mindset. Porridge is not more “slimming” than toast for breakfast. Have 2 scrambled eggs and a double espresso instead 🙂

Don’t eat after 8pm.

Exercise: Lift heavy. See Stronglifts 5×5 for a beginner plan. Cut back on the squats if you still want to ride your bike. Personally I find I still need to do cardio as well as lifting so I run/cycle on alternate days, even if it’s only an hour session.

Premier Icon ac282
    Subscriber

I’ve lost 2kg in 3 weeks by limiting myself to 1 portion of cake/biscuits per day.

I’m not sure what that says about my diet.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘What to cut out for losing weight?’ is closed to new replies.