Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What to burn in Urban fire pit?
  • scottyjohn
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Thinking of getting one of these cheap little open fire things for out the back garden but wondered what you actuallyu burn in them ? I stay in a suburb and dont want to p*ss the neighbours off with a smoke joe campfire going. Is there a low smoke fuel which i can use? or is it just logs?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Neds.

gwj72
    Free Member

The middle class? Bankers? Foxes?

scottyjohn
    Free Member

lol nice, although would bankers not give off a bad smell?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wood will be fine. (and get rid of your shredded offshore bank account records while you’re at it).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Next doors cat.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You sister’s jeans.

slackin101
    Free Member

My neighbour burns wood in his to piss the neighbours off 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can’t see an issue with wood, assuming it won’t smother the neigbours

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d have thought wood is fine, but I live in the sticks and have no experience of how much smoke you can produce.
    If you’re worried about the smoke suppose you could also use a mixture of wood (to start it quickly), charcoal and smokeless coal (charcoal would get going quite quickly and would help get the smokeless coal going).
    This may all be b*****s though as I’ve never tried it.

headfirst
    Free Member

dry wood is the key, such as smashed up wooden boxes or pallets, basically not freshly cut, ‘bendy’ wood whcih will smoke like buggery

yossarian
    Free Member

tramps, binbags and batteries

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Car tyres.

theotherjonv

aren’t you supposed to use those bricks made of special compressed wood pulp and left over rags ?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I use those paper log things, pretty smokeless and burn well.

heywayne
    Free Member

Just don’t do it on a summer’s evening when your neighbours all have their windows wide open like a neighbour at our previous house used to. He’d also burn some pretty toxic smelling stuff in his too. Plum.

Dry wood should be fine.

I know we’re not allowed to have fires (incinerators,open fires etc) on our allotment during certain months of theyear, not sure if it applies to households too…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Chavs

Drac

Dry wood will be fine especially with a good bed of hot embers, if there’s plenty of heat there will be no smoke.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

What headfirst said.

Although, I would recommend starting with kindling, then a dozen or so lumps of smokeless fuel, then keep it going with dry wood.

IIRC wood tends to take 12-18 months to dry fully (depending on thickness/ storage envionment etc.).

TiRed

Broken fence panels. Always entertaining. Our neighbor’s chiminea smokes like mad, dreadful thing.

So for true smokeless heat, burn a large bag of charcoal briquettes. Worked for us at a campsite with a no campfire policy.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Chopped up pallets?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Carpet.

supertramp
    Free Member

nice dry well seasoned wood, not much smoke and it smells nice 🙂

smokless fuels, are not ver good for the environment (mostly by the way they are made). They also have a nast ‘chemical’ smell and some can to very (dangerously) hot, could damage your fire pit and of course they just give off a mean, dull, orange glow, and no lovely dancing flames – which is why you have a fire in the first place 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or how about good old charcoal? Tell your neighbours you are having a BBQ but forgot the sausages.

surfer
    Free Member

Why would you want to start a fire in your garden? (serious question)

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies! I want one cos I saw some pics a mate posted where he was sitting outside with his glowing nicely and a few glasses of wine. Looked amazing. Also had a disposable BBQ at the campsite at Glen Nevis when a few of us were up this year, and we piled some branches on after cooking. Was lovely to sit round and we lasted till 11pm before we got told to put it out :–)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What to burn in Urban fire pit?’ is closed to new replies.